Fournette wasted opportunity.

newcam2012

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

Being in Jax at the time he became available, I can tell you his press was terrible, his attitude was terrible, he was playing uninspired, W’as also having off field issues and he just looked like he really didn’t cRe about football at the time.  Got to give Him credit, he remade his image and he looks like the antithesis of the rb he was while in Jax!  I think that’s why so many teams passed on him. Honestly, I thought he was going to be out of the league very shortly. Just goes to show, the culture and right situation can make or break careers in the NFL!  Given the Bills lack of success until just now, he may not have turned his career around like he did at Tampa. I don’t blame the Bills for that choice , but not taking a 2000 yard back like dobbins who fell to you , going for a project like epenesa , sticking with two 3 rd round rbs from schools that don’t play nearly the competition dobbins played against, will continue to haunt them.  After dobbins recovers , epenesa ( where. You are supposed to see the biggest improvement from the first to second years , similar to Moss)  will continue to be a spot player and I just don’t see moss having the speed or the advertised power to become a special player. 

So missing on a player having proven issues in the NFL, is something I think was explainable.   Going back to back on 3 rd rd Rbs , passing on a proven 2000 yd rb who also is a good receiver for a dl falling down the board related to speed issues and still only sees spot duty is partly responsible for our lack of a viable running  game. I like Beane a lot as a good communicator, fairly good gm with a distinct vision , but his lack of addressing a true edge rusher ( groot has potential, not there yet) , sticking with the same o line that showed issues in last years afc championship loss, and under valuing the rb position are things I believe will keep us from being a bona fide SB contender this year. We might get there ,,,,but beating the Bucs who I believe will be from the nfc , looks impossible as we are still a mostly one dimensional team.   I hope he learns from this and has a better off season filling in those last parts. New England sure made up lots of ground in a year , so now he has more pressure than just addressing beating the Chiefs. 

Wow! This has to be one of the best posts I've read. Absolutely spot on and brutally honest. I look forward to seeing more of your input. It was a pleasure. Well said well done.👍

14 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills had a chance to pick up Fournette. Easy to play armchair QB but I remember wanting the Bills to sign him. Instead the Bills are left with Moss, Motor, and Breida. None of these guys compare to Fournette. The Bills as many other teams whiffed on him. 

Other than the facts that Fournette is on the best offense in the NFL and that Singletary actually has better yards/attempt than Fournette, you are spot on.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Other than the facts that Fournette is on the best offense in the NFL and that Singletary actually has better yards/attempt than Fournette, you are spot on.

Knowing what we know now, anyone that knows football would take Fournette over Singletary. So stop with the stats. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills had a chance to pick up Fournette. Easy to play armchair QB but I remember wanting the Bills to sign him. Instead the Bills are left with Moss, Motor, and Breida. None of these guys compare to Fournette. The Bills as many other teams whiffed on him. 

3 out of his first 4 years, he was sub 4.0 ypc.  He’s been a disappointment in his career.

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3 out of his first 4 years, he was sub 4.0 ypc.  He’s been a disappointment in his career.

Who was his QB? What team did he play for? Paint the whole picture please. 

15 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Does the TB offensive line come with him?

No but the great Jacksonville team did. I believe he was being led by future hall of framer Blake Bortles. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

No but the great Jacksonville team did. I believe he was being led by future hall of framer Blake Bortles. 

His QB doesn't block for him. 

Over a 3 year span as their starter Bortles actually accounted 86TDs and 13,011 yards. More than enough production to take the heat off the running game.

The team also made an AFC Championship game (beating our Bills on the way.)

Paint the whole picture please.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Being in Jax at the time he became available, I can tell you his press was terrible, his attitude was terrible, he was playing uninspired, W’as also having off field issues and he just looked like he really didn’t cRe about football at the time.  Got to give Him credit, he remade his image and he looks like the antithesis of the rb he was while in Jax!  I think that’s why so many teams passed on him. Honestly, I thought he was going to be out of the league very shortly. Just goes to show, the culture and right situation can make or break careers in the NFL!  Given the Bills lack of success until just now, he may not have turned his career around like he did at Tampa. I don’t blame the Bills for that choice , but not taking a 2000 yard back like dobbins who fell to you , going for a project like epenesa , sticking with two 3 rd round rbs from schools that don’t play nearly the competition dobbins played against, will continue to haunt them.  After dobbins recovers , epenesa ( where. You are supposed to see the biggest improvement from the first to second years , similar to Moss)  will continue to be a spot player and I just don’t see moss having the speed or the advertised power to become a special player. 

So missing on a player having proven issues in the NFL, is something I think was explainable.   Going back to back on 3 rd rd Rbs , passing on a proven 2000 yd rb who also is a good receiver for a dl falling down the board related to speed issues and still only sees spot duty is partly responsible for our lack of a viable running  game. I like Beane a lot as a good communicator, fairly good gm with a distinct vision , but his lack of addressing a true edge rusher ( groot has potential, not there yet) , sticking with the same o line that showed issues in last years afc championship loss, and under valuing the rb position are things I believe will keep us from being a bona fide SB contender this year. We might get there ,,,,but beating the Bucs who I believe will be from the nfc , looks impossible as we are still a mostly one dimensional team.   I hope he learns from this and has a better off season filling in those last parts. New England sure made up lots of ground in a year , so now he has more pressure than just addressing beating the Chiefs. 

Dobbins isn't a 2000 yard back (i guess if you go by college, but Singletary had almost 2000 in college).  He had 800 in 2020, and blew out his knee this year.  He also only has 18 career catches.

If you're thinking of taylor, he was selected prior to Epenesa.  I like dobbins, but ravens have made running backs look good for years. 

Edited by dneveu

51 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Last year his QB was Tom Brady.  Have you heard of him?  Well, Fournette was the back up RB last year to Ronald Jones.

Ronald Jones averaged 5.1 ypc and Fournette averaged 3.8 ypc.  

Not only that, Fournette was a healthy scratch during the season as well.

I'll just add in one last thing.... he was almost cut but then Ronald Jones his the Covid list.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leonard-fournette-was-almost-cut-by-buccaneers-after-week-14-prior-to-epic-super-bowl-run-bruce-arians-says/

52 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

3.8 ypc with future Hall of Famer Tom Brady.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Last year his QB was Tom Brady.  Have you heard of him?  Well, Fournette was the back up RB last year to Ronald Jones.

Ronald Jones averaged 5.1 ypc and Fournette averaged 3.8 ypc.  

Not only that, Fournette was a healthy scratch during the season as well.

I'll just add in one last thing.... he was almost cut but then Ronald Jones his the Covid list.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leonard-fournette-was-almost-cut-by-buccaneers-after-week-14-prior-to-epic-super-bowl-run-bruce-arians-says/

3.8 ypc with future Hall of Famer Tom Brady.

You gotta factor in postseason. He had 64 carries for 300 yards over four postseason games last season (4.7 ypc) along with 18 catches for 182 yards (8.2 yards per reception). He also had four TDs over four games. Those are good numbers against top competition, and the sample size isn't small. He's basically picked up where he left off from last postseason. His regular season stats were bad though. He had 12 carries for 103 yards in the second game vs. Carolina, but the rest of the way did basically nothing. 

Edited by dave mcbride

19 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

You don't say???? 

And here in Buffalo with our oline he would look more like the Fournette in Jacksonville. 

Fix the line and Motor would look much more competitent 

This and I would add feature him the way Tampa is featured in TB.

Motor is averaging 4.7 ypc while Fournette is averaging 4.5

Motor has only 98 carries while Fournette has 139

If they had given Motor the ball only as much as Tampa gives it to Fournette - instead of unexplainably giving more snaps and carries to Moss - just the 4 extra carries per game they were giving Moss - Motor would have 655 yards.  That would make him 9th in the league among all backs - ahead of Fournette, Gordon III, Ekler, Gibson, Aaron Jones, Conner, Swift, Dillion....

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

His QB doesn't block for him. 

Over a 3 year span as their starter Bortles actually accounted 86TDs and 13,011 yards. More than enough production to take the heat off the running game.

The team also made an AFC Championship game (beating our Bills on the way.)

Paint the whole picture please.

They didn't make the playoffs and beat the Billa because of Bortels. He sucked pretty much the whole year and they won despite him. He couldn't pass for dog poop and hia legs were his best asset. The team won because of there defense and pounding the rock with Fournette. 

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You gotta factor in postseason. He had 64 carries for 300 yards over four postseason games last season (4.7 ypc) along with 18 catches for 182 yards (8.2 yards per reception). He also had four TDs over four games. Those are good numbers against top competition, and the sample size isn't small. He's basically picked up where he left off from last postseason. His regular season stats were bad though. He had 12 carries for 103 yards in the second game vs. Carolina, but the rest of the way did basically nothing. 

Absolutely! Agree 100%. 

5 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

This and I would add feature him the way Tampa is featured in TB.

Motor is averaging 4.7 ypc while Fournette is averaging 4.5

Motor has only 98 carries while Fournette has 139

If they had given Motor the ball only as much as Tampa gives it to Fournette - instead of unexplainably giving more snaps and carries to Moss - just the 4 extra carries per game they were giving Moss - Motor would have 655 yards.  That would make him 9th in the league among all backs - ahead of Fournette, Gordon III, Ekler, Gibson, Aaron Jones, Conner, Swift, Dillion....

Everyone wants to avoid how Singletary can't score touchdowns. The guy simple sucks at getting into the end zone. The stats don't lie. Fournette got 4 tds yesterday which equates to Singletary's career numbers. I guess it's no biggie to have your featured back score tds. 

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They didn't make the playoffs and beat the Billa because of Bortels. He sucked pretty much the whole year and they won despite him. He couldn't pass for dog poop and hia legs were his best asset. The team won because of there defense and pounding the rock with Fournette. 

Fournette averaged 2.7 ypc against the Bills in the WC playoff game.

In the 2017 playoffs, Fournette:

2.7 ypc vs Bills

4.4 ypc vs the Steelers

3.2 ypc vs the Pats.

For the 2017 season, he averaged 3.9 ypc.

I checked to see if he was in the top voting for MVP that year...surprisingly he wasn't.  I can't believe it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Everyone wants to avoid how Singletary can't score touchdowns. The guy simple sucks at getting into the end zone. The stats don't lie. Fournette got 4 tds yesterday which equates to Singletary's career numbers. I guess it's no biggie to have your featured back score tds. 

They guy was going to get cut last year by the Bucs until Ronald Jones was put on the covid list.  

He's a top 5 pick in the NFL, about to be let go by his 2nd team in 2 years....that's a bust.  He resigned for a  1 year deal with a little over $3 million.

So your stats don't lie but other stats brought up by other posters....they're lies?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.