A simple fix that would make our “D” dominant against run first offenses

Lenigmusx

On 11/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, delirious said:

Terrible take.

When that stat actually mattered against forealz run heavy teams (Titans and Colts), they were no-shows.

They were missing their best run defender. Star makes a difference. Look at last year versus this year. Yes, one player can make or break a defense. The 2 most important players to our defensive success are White and Star. 👍

On 11/29/2021 at 4:10 AM, GunnerBill said:

They actually had a really good chat about this on the UK coverage of Green Bay and the Rams last night. Dante Hall was in studio and he was lamenting the Rams staying in zone while Rodgers carved them up but admitted coordinators just do not like going to something they haven't practiced all week. He was saying as a general rule coaches say that tends to cause too many obvious execution break downs from players unprepared for the wrinkles and that is why even when it doesn't look to be working coaches are often reticent to make big scheme adjustments if they are not big adjustments that they have practiced. 

thanks, appreciate the insight! 

I get the coaches issue there.  But then, shouldn't they practice more than one scheme all week, and shouldn't pro players be able to adapt.  Just seems like most coaches are way too stubborn.  

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

thanks, appreciate the insight! 

I get the coaches issue there.  But then, shouldn't they practice more than one scheme all week, and shouldn't pro players be able to adapt.  Just seems like most coaches are way too stubborn.  

I think coaches as a rule are a bit stubborn. It is an asset (being able to ignore the noise) and a flaw. I think the thing is defense especially is a reactive pursuit for the most part in the NFL. Practicing a scheme to play team A who run scheme Y is not the same as using that defense against team B who run scheme X. And coaching multiple different options per week.... I mean ideally, sure. But practice time is limited too. And I say all this as someone who all week in the run up to Indy said I'd rather play some 4-3 against their offense. I am not saying coaches get everything right - they definitely don't - but it is not as easy as just switching up scheme completely mid-game. 

• Agree 1

CAN SOMEONE ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE BILLS NEVER EVER GO 5 DOWN LINEMAN??? Please! I have been asking this for 3 seasons! I don't get why on obvious run downs they refuse to stack the line. It's not a mystery that they are going to get ran on. And wow, wouldn't you know it, the opposing team gets the first down far more times than not. Other coaches must be salivating at running against the Bills. It's so easy! 

2 hours ago, JPL7 said:

CAN SOMEONE ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE BILLS NEVER EVER GO 5 DOWN LINEMAN??? Please! I have been asking this for 3 seasons! I don't get why on obvious run downs they refuse to stack the line. It's not a mystery that they are going to get ran on. And wow, wouldn't you know it, the opposing team gets the first down far more times than not. Other coaches must be salivating at running against the Bills. It's so easy! 

They actually had all 179 lbs of Levi Wallace out there on some plays when the Pats were going against the wind and weren't making any pretense of throwing the ball.

I'm not saying you have to play all linemen and linebackers, but there is something about adjusting your personnel to what the offense is sending out there and what the game conditions appear to be dictating.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:46 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Star makes a difference.

Wasn't he pushed back 3 yards on a Mac Jones QB sneak? Sure, he may have been double-teamed some, but he had a truly unimpactful game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.