A simple fix that would make our “D” dominant against run first offenses

Lenigmusx

Maybe this has already been said, but if you want to to shut down a running game then go with a 5 man dline.

That puts a lot more pressure on the secondary and LBs, as well as limiting coverage options/blitz schemes.  But it's a possibility, closest thing I've seen us do is move our 3rd LB to "on" the ball over the TE or 9 technique.

We shall see what adjustments are made, but I'm confident in Mcd and Frazier.

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Really? disagree they gave up at halftime

Klein would be our 3rd choice at LB

Klein was already in because Edmunds was out. That is the point. So to play a 3rd linebacker and a 4-3 base meant taking a top 5 or 6 nickel corner in the league out to put either Andre Smith or Tyrel Dodson (4th and 5th choice) in.

8 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Maybe this has already been said, but if you want to to shut down a running game then go with a 5 man dline.

That puts a lot more pressure on the secondary and LBs, as well as limiting coverage options/blitz schemes.  But it's a possibility, closest thing I've seen us do is move our 3rd LB to "on" the ball over the TE or 9 technique.

We shall see what adjustments are made, but I'm confident in Mcd and Frazier.

They did a bit of that in San Fran last year with the bear front looks and Edmunds lining up on the edge on early downs.

I really think Edmunds being down against Indy played in to their decision just to play their normal nickel base.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Since we're proposing new ideas to help the team here...

How about Josh Allen returns all punts?

Also, how about Josh Allen play QB and WR on the same play?

Crazy? Or brilliant?

🤔

This kind of sarcasm is frustrating… I was not once suggesting that we play one cornerback. I was suggesting that Siran Neal at corner on the outside might more sense than Dane in a true 4-4-3 package or a 4-3-4 package. This is not a suggestion that this should be a permanent base defense but rather a package or look that gives a size advantage and the ability to deal with a run first offense. Obviously the Nickel package will still be a big part of what we do. That said we never show a true 4-3-4 base and that is a bigger more aggressive or downhill look for a physical offense. I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to X/O’s these lightweight nickel base defenses are a construct of the modern pass first NFL. To suggest a 4-3 base is outlandish seems to throw out a ton of historically great defenses. 3 WR set means a nickel but a heavy package warrants a heavy D. If the Colts line up with two TE’s we shouldn’t counter it by run blitzing a 180 pound safety. Come on size warrants size and creates favorable match ups. 

I prefer the 4-3 to the 5-2 because it gives the LB’s the ability to come down hill and fill gaps reading as long as the down lineman hold gap integrity.

Edited by Lenigmusx

6 hours ago, delirious said:

Terrible take.

When that stat actually mattered against forealz run heavy teams (Titans and Colts), they were no-shows.

you think that's a terrible take, it's a fact, but no comment on a 4-4-3 defensive alignment?  3 in the secondary will take away the run, but of course there will be a lot of passing yards surrendered.

12 minutes ago, klos63 said:

you think that's a terrible take, it's a fact, but no comment on a 4-4-3 defensive alignment?  3 in the secondary will take away the run, but of course there will be a lot of passing yards surrendered.

It's a fact with no context. It doesn't explain the Bills really easy schedule and it doesn't explain the terrible QBs the Bills have been fortunate to play against.

The reason it's a terrible take is because it was said as if there is no issue at all with the defense.

I've said it elsewhere, what I think can help the run defense get better.

Just now, delirious said:

It's a fact with no context. It doesn't explain the Bills really easy schedule and it doesn't explain the terrible QBs the Bills have been fortunate to play against.

The reason it's a terrible take is because it was said as if there is no issue at all with the defense.

I've said it elsewhere, what I think can help the run defense get better.

What are your thoughts on a 3 DB alignment? With Neal being one of them,

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Only in a very specific package when we see a two TE two back offense. Obviously it depends on what the opposition has personnel wise. Indy ran this grouping several times with only on WR on the field. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I'm for trying anything this season.

I think the bigger issue is at least getting a bigger younger 1Tech in the upcoming draft. I personally also like bigger defensive ends, almost 5tech worthy.

11 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The Bills definitely game plan for each team and whomever they meet in the playoffs will have what they do best challenged. Not a doubt in my mind if the Bills play the Colts or Browns in the playoffs they'll load the box and make Wentz and Baker beat you.

i hope you are right, but odd they didn't do this the first time we played the colts?  

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Klein was already in because Edmunds was out. That is the point. So to play a 3rd linebacker and a 4-3 base meant taking a top 5 or 6 nickel corner in the league out to put either Andre Smith or Tyrel Dodson (4th and 5th choice) in.

They did a bit of that in San Fran last year with the bear front looks and Edmunds lining up on the edge on early downs.

I really think Edmunds being down against Indy played in to their decision just to play their normal nickel base.

good analysis, but it was insane not to try so something different as the game went on.  

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

good analysis, but it was insane not to try so something different as the game went on.  

They actually had a really good chat about this on the UK coverage of Green Bay and the Rams last night. Dante Hall was in studio and he was lamenting the Rams staying in zone while Rodgers carved them up but admitted coordinators just do not like going to something they haven't practiced all week. He was saying as a general rule coaches say that tends to cause too many obvious execution break downs from players unprepared for the wrinkles and that is why even when it doesn't look to be working coaches are often reticent to make big scheme adjustments if they are not big adjustments that they have practiced. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, delirious said:

Terrible take.

When that stat actually mattered against forealz run heavy teams (Titans and Colts), they were no-shows.

Terrible take.

They were down 2 key defenders versus the Colts and did a good job versus Henry with the exception of 1 run, where 3 Titans were holding our defenders. The rest of the season they stuffed the run.

The Bills D got steam rolled against the Colts.   To some extent the Titans game can be explained away, the stats are skewed by a 76 yard TD run that if removed he had 19 carries for 67 yards and 2 TD's.  Now the long run happened, we know that but as been pointed out there was some clear holding on that play so if the zebra had thrown the hanky that game likely flips to a bills win and the running numbers don't look as bad.  If they get Star back and have Edmunds we should be good against the run vs NE, its just the play action and short/intermediate passes they also need to shut down.....without Tre

4 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Terrible take.

They were down 2 key defenders versus the Colts and did a good job versus Henry with the exception of 1 run, where 3 Titans were holding our defenders. The rest of the season they stuffed the run.

Terrible take. Easiest schedule playing crap QBs. 

On 11/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, Just in Atlanta said:

Statistically 

They don’t pass the eye test

And we all know in reality, elite backs — Darrick Henry and Jon Taylor — run wild 

…when AJ Klein is starting and having a historically awful afternoon lol. 75% of Henry’s yards came on that one play with like 10 blatant holds also. Ten beat us with play action when we overcommitted to stopping the run imo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.