Show Tre we're thinking of him; Donations to Food Bank of Northwest Louisiana

damj

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

From what I've read, further than most people think.  Food banks generally have much better "purchasing power" than the general population and often have deals with suppliers to get overstock at a fraction of the price.  That's why they might specifically request cash donations rather than loose groceries, which also allows them to streamline their operations with known stock rather than deal with a thousand unwanted odds and ends of stuff with varying expiration dates and whatnot.

It's a shame/travesty how much food gets wasted that could be given to people in need.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Doc said:

I figured that's what you were getting at.  But I donated earlier and didn't post until just then.  I'm sure the food bank got a ton of money in.

And it doesn't look like a site that will advertise how much money it has raised. 

I'll keep an eye for feedback on the total

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It's a shame/travesty how much food gets wasted that could be given to people in need.

Hello Doc. I have direc t knowledge regarding food banks here in socal. What @1ManRaidsaid is true. My church every year pre covid would host a turkey basket giveaway to the needful in Spring Valley CA. Heavens window is a Christian based resource for food and all manner of help for the poor..we would buy our turkies for this event through heavens window for .29 ceents a pound...they would alsodonate canned goods cereal cookies snacks etc They receive from all manner of food donations from  grocery stores All of them including Sprouts, Trader Joes, Vons, Whole Foods etc.....and we make food baskets for increasing number of families each year because the need grew and so did they provision God is GOOD..t the end was 100 families served.....and then covid smh...so moneey vouchers were handed out instead in lieu of the baskets. **** Covid.

My point was that at least wholesale venues Try to not be wastefful of food resources....Even major restaurants here like Panera have weekly distribution near and far into communities.

Now talk to me about food wasted after corporate functions weddings etc....YEP.

m 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Muppy said:

Hello Doc. I have direc t knowledge regarding food banks here in socal. What @1ManRaidsaid is true. My church every year pre covid would host a turkey basket giveaway to the needful in Spring Valley CA. Heavens window is a Christian based resource for food and all manner of help for the poor..we would buy our turkies for this event through heavens window for .29 ceents a pound...they would alsodonate canned goods cereal cookies snacks etc They receive from all manner of food donations from  grocery stores All of them including Sprouts, Trader Joes, Vons, Whole Foods etc.....and we make food baskets for increasing number of families each year because the need grew and so did they provision God is GOOD..t the end was 100 families served.....and then covid smh...so moneey vouchers were handed out instead in lieu of the baskets. **** Covid.

My point was that at least wholesale venues Try to not be wastefful of food resources....Even major restaurants here like Panera have weekly distribution near and far into communities.

Now talk to me about food wasted after corporate functions weddings etc....YEP.

m 

Oh, I didn't mean food banks.  I'm sure they get discounted prices for their food and have minimal waste.  I'm talking in general about how much food gets wasted.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2021 at 5:47 PM, notwoz said:

I donated, but I feel bad that I haven't done the same for food banks in Niagara Falls (my home town) or Buffalo. I guess those are next on my list.

As it turns out, I did contribute to charities in Niagara Falls and Buffalo. I also donated to a food bank run by students at my alma mater, St. Bonaventure.

• Like (+1) 2

Tre' is an incredible person.  Remember his raw emotion when he signed his extension.  If you can afford it, consider doing it.  For those who criticize pro athletes when they make mistakes, support one who is a better person than most anyone!

• Like (+1) 1

well folks the holidays are upon us and cash might be a tad tighter right now....in any case Any money is a true gift from heart.... Tre gets it........ the number while if large would be grand the sentiment carries forward and people fed no matter what.

Lets see this ride out though.... 🙂 

m

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Awesome update! 

I was one of the few they mentioned that did $270.

I will make a deal with the board. If 10 more people donate $27 each I will match and donate another $270. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.