EDIT Now: Whatever Pats or Bills topics you wanna discuss Was: Bills (-3.5) vs. Patriots on MNF

Estro

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

It was cold and snowing the entire game yesterday.. lol  

I was watching the Bucs and Colts as I figured a banged up Titans team would have no shot at NE. From the highlights on TV it looked like a normal weather day. No snow on the field or anything like that. It might have been cold and windy but that's about it.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It was cold and snowing the entire game yesterday.. lol  

That was not a "bad weather" game... cold, with some flurries?  I would take that 10/10 compared to the nonsense wind gust/rain games we seem to play every week at home lately.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Billacheat takes your best player away. Is it Diggs or Josh and then how?  My bet?  You can double Diggs, doesn't matter. So, he will pressure on Josh to frustrate him. Josh has zero patience in 1Q and then it buggers his mind. It's not 'QB hits' as traditionally true with QB's--In fact, Josh gets better with a run/hit. Rather, you frustrate him and force RB rush, then Josh seems to crack. Josh (and Dabs) need to be patient for the first quarter before they get all flustered. 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

So just some observations after watching Pats vs Titans:

1. The delayed draw handoff the Bills like to run hurt the Pats on SUN - the long 68 yd Hilliard TD run and several other 10+ yd runs.
  2. Titans ran for 172 yds on 30 other runs - almost 6 YPC with 2 guys I never heard of.   If Brown and Feliciano are back, like the Bills chances to move the ball with the run.
  3. Delayed Blitzes got to Jones for a couple sacks when he was setting yup to throw downfield.  He was a deer in the headlights and couldn't get away at all.  Bills will not have to play contain on pass rush or employ a spy vs Jones.  Rush 4 or 5 and leave 6 or 7 in coverage.
  4. Game will hinge on Bills ability to stop the NE run game and DBs / LBs ability to tackle receivers short of sticks on passing downs.  Titans backup LBs and DBs did a poor job tackling as game wore on yesterday.
  5. Jones like to hit guys on 3 patterns, the 15 yd curl, the quick out and the drag route.  Bills need to setup the picket fence zone on crossers and Milano and Taron Johnson will need to cover the flats well.  Poyer and Hyde will look to snag one of Jones curl routes. 

1. That Hilliard run at the end of the half was a hiccup. They were expecting a pass and the Titans blocked amazingly well. Inexcusable but was also the last points they scored.

2. Yes the Pats run D was scary bad yesterday. Does Buffalo have the patience and or O line to do the same thing?

3. The Titans were blitzing all game and the Pats only punted once. Not sure if their D game plan is one to follow. 

4. Did you watch the same game? Come the second half their D was worn down and Pats O started breaking big plays on both running and passing.  They had 9 literally on the line stop the run.

5. I don’t know what your basing that on? Did you break down all 12 starts? The last 2? How did you get that breakdown?

12 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I was watching the Bucs and Colts as I figured a banged up Titans team would have no shot at NE. From the highlights on TV it looked like a normal weather day. No snow on the field or anything like that. It might have been cold and windy but that's about it.

No snowing, wasn’t enough to accumulate but it was snowing.. had snow flurries all game.  

We get our OL healthy for the first time in what seems to be forever.  I'm looking forward to seeing what this Offense looks like with full health (hopefully Beasley is healed up as well after this mini-bye).

On Offense, they need to show what they can do, and start doing that -consistently- on MNF.  I know the Pats will be good.  I don't know that their ceiling is much higher than very good... but I know they are consistently good.  We have elite ability, but are all over the map game to game, series to series.  

My biggest worry is honestly Dawkins vs Judon.  Dion has got to step up and start being the dude we paid.  

On Defense, hopefully we get Star back.. if not, make sure our big bodies are active for their running game and force Mac Jones to throw into flooded zones.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Billacheat takes your best player away. Is it Diggs or Josh and then how?  My bet?  You can double Diggs, doesn't matter. So, he will pressure on Josh to frustrate him. Josh has zero patience in 1Q and then it buggers his mind. It's not 'QB hits' as traditionally true with QB's--In fact, Josh gets better with a run/hit. Rather, you frustrate him and force RB rush, then Josh seems to crack. Josh (and Dabs) need to be patient for the first quarter before they get all flustered. 

He didn't take Josh seriously last year.  I remember before the 2nd game, he said something about Allen that was surprising for him - it was subtle, but it wasn't his usual "build the opponent up" stuff.  He was critical.

Allen burned the Pats that game, repeatedly.  BB is honing in on him - and he has the kind of line that can be disruptive.

If McD was trying to play chess w/ BB - he might change our attack to run-first for a game, or something like that. But I hate it when coaches try to out-BB BB, and it never works.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We get our OL healthy for the first time in what seems to be forever.  I'm looking forward to seeing what this Offense looks like with full health (hopefully Beasley is healed up as well after this mini-bye).

On Offense, they need to show what they can do, and start doing that on MNF.  

My biggest worry is honestly Dawkins vs Judon.  Dion has got to step up and start being the dude we paid.  

On Defense, hopefully we get Star back.. if not, make sure our big bodies are active for their running game and force Mac Jones to throw into flooded zones.  

Am I missing some news?

18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It was flurries at times...

2 minutes ago, Success said:

He didn't take Josh seriously last year.  I remember before the 2nd game, he said something about Allen that was surprising for him - it was subtle, but it wasn't his usual "build the opponent up" stuff.  He was critical.

Allen burned the Pats that game, repeatedly.  BB is honing in on him - and he has the kind of line that can be disruptive.

If McD was trying to play chess w/ BB - he might change our attack to run-first for a game, or something like that. But I hate it when coaches try to out-BB BB, and it never works.

Why are you imagining this being some kind of masterful chess game.    The Bills beat the Patriots the last two times they played them.   It's not about chess.  It is about executing on offense and tackling well on defense.   The outcome of the game will be determined primarily by whether the Bills offense is able to execute at a high level and whether the Bills defense tackles well.   The Bills are the more talented team by far.   They just have to execute.

• Agree 4

Watching the Patriots yesterday they are patient and efficient.   I think the X Factor for the Bills Monday night could be Beasley.   The Patriots defensive line is aggressive and Josh cant hold the ball as long as he has been.   Getting the ball out quick will be important, and that usually means Beasley.   Mixing in some RB screens will be important as well.  Huge game, cannot wait!

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Why are you imagining this being some kind of masterful chess game.    The Bills beat the Patriots the last two times they played them.   It's not about chess.  It is about executing on offense and tackling well on defense.   The outcome of the game will be determined primarily by whether the Bills offense is able to execute at a high level and whether the Bills defense tackles well.   The Bills are the more talented team by far.   They just have to execute.

I see other coaches trying to "be" Belichick when they play him.  If BB was coaching this Bills team, he'd go off direction, and emphasize the run, or screen game, or put in another wrinkle to try to be unpredictable.

But essentially, we agree. I don't think McD should try to be BB.  We just need to play our game.

Where I disagree is the "by far" in more talented. We do have more talent - but it's not that much of a gap.  That's a good, well-rounded, physical football team.  I don't care about the quality of their opponents:  they have won 6 games in a row, in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

To me, it’s two things. 

1) execution 

2) physicality 

i thought our most physical game of the year was against the chiefs. We hit them in the mouth all game. That’s the kind of energy we need to bring to this game. The defense is going to Need to blow guys up, and the oline is going to need to have more of a mean streak— which I think Spencer Brown and JF can really add. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

3. The Titans were blitzing all game and the Pats only punted once. Not sure if their D game plan is one to follow. 

From NFL.com - Next Gen stat of the game: The Titans defense blitzed just six times, but generated two pressures and two sacks on those plays.

17 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

4. Did you watch the same game? Come the second half their D was worn down and Pats O started breaking big plays on both running and passing.  They had 9 literally on the line stop the run.

From NFL.com - New England, for its part, couldn't run it at all for most of the way, although the ground attack began to yield more against a tired Titans defense late in the game. 

My note - I never heard of the LBs playing for Titans in 2nd half and the coverage and tackling showed it.

20 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

5. I don’t know what your basing that on? Did you break down all 12 starts? The last 2? How did you get that breakdown?

see below - from yesterday's game.  Very relevant for Bills as  Titans played lots of zone D

20 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

So just some observations after watching Pats vs Titans

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Success said:

Last year the D had given up. We had Cam “I can’t throw anymore” Newton and an O incapable of doing anything. This year they ALL seem to feel it and think the group is special.  Pats also had a rag tag group by the final meeting. 

that said new year and no one knows what will or could happen. I just want no major injuries to derail either teams playoff hopes. 

The pats are playing good ball they are 5-0 on the road this year, over the last 8 games (start at Tampa bay game) they are plus 140 in pt dif.  They went into yesterday game as only the 2nd team in NFL history with a rookie QB to win 5 straight games by 125+combined  points. See it anyone can name the other team to do such.  Will be a close tough game

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.