EDIT Now: Whatever Pats or Bills topics you wanna discuss Was: Bills (-3.5) vs. Patriots on MNF

Estro

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m wondering if it’s possible that he can play if he is vaccinated and tests negative by Monday? 

It's possible.  According to NFL's Chief Medical Officer Allen Stills, 20% of vaccinated players who have tested positive return in less than 10 days.

Maths say that means 80% of them don't return in less than 10 days, although overall he says they still return more quickly after less severe illness. (Note that I'm specifically talking about what the NFL's CMO says about NFL players here, and don't shoot off general comments, 'K?)

They need

-no symptoms in 48 hrs

-two negative tests 24 hrs apart

It's the latter that's apparently the problem

After 10 days (and no symptoms for 48 hrs) elapse, they are no longer required to test negative.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Luck would be squeaking by and eeking out close wins in the final minutes every game.

When you are outscoring teams 35-10 on average every week it has little to do with other teams injuries and a lot to do with talent, coaching, etc.

Belichik is a wartime coach and his teams simply don't make the type of mistakes you are seeing from the Bills week in and week out.

Either you lack comprehension skills or you didnt read his post fully.  That wasnt the luck he was talking about.  He was talking about playing The Titans missing their offense, The Browns missing their offense and the Falcons missing one of 2 of their best offensive players.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depends.  If

-they had 5 Red zone trips but only came away with TDs on 2 of those trips (penalties no factor on 4)

-we stuffed them on "and short" twice

-we finished with more points, including a TD directly following a turnover

....then I would think that's fair to say.  Certainly would be correct that our defense impacted their game.

Would you not agree?

I would never say an offense was slowed down after scoring 31 points unless they usually score like 40+.  I don't care how the points were scored.  Hardly ever do most teams score TDs every drive.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's possible.  According to NFL's Chief Medical Officer Allen Stills, 20% of vaccinated players who have tested positive return in less than 10 days.

They need

-no symptoms in 48 hrs

After 10 days (and no symptoms for 48 hrs) elapse, they are no longer required to test negative.

The Patriots wouldn’t cheat and use someone’s positive test so Duggar can play. There above doing something like that aren’t they? 🤭

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I would never say an offense was slowed down after scoring 31 points unless they usually score like 40+.  I don't care how the points were scored.  Hardly ever do most teams score TDs every drive.

Well, the Bills had indeed scored an average of >40 points per game the previous 3 games (43,40,38); 35 points the week before that.  So....

And no, teams don't score TDs on every drive.  But the best teams have red-zone TD % of 70% or up.  The Bills are currently tied for 11th at 62%.  The worst team in the league is currently 43%.

So when the Bills came away with 2 TDs on 5 red-zone trips, they were below the league worst and below their own average performance (40% vs 60%).

I'd call that being slowed, You do You though.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

LOL

1) when Belichick praises a player, it typically means he feels he's spotted a flaw

2) I read this and it reminds me of the joke about how it's impossible it is to praise someone in Yiddish.  It comes across as implying that he started at a very low level and Belichick didn't think much of his chances to get better.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL

1) when Belichick praises a player, it typically means he feels he's spotted a flaw

2) I read this and it reminds me of the joke about how it's impossible it is to praise someone in Yiddish.  It comes across as implying that he started at a very low level and Belichick didn't think much of his chances to get better.

I actually think there might be some honesty in Belichick's comments here.  For one, Allen's improvement has been remarkable and I'm sure Belichick sees it.  And if you go back to last years draft there's a reason Belichick and the Pats used a 1st round pick to select a QB - and that reason is Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maths say that means 80% of them don't return in less than 10 days, although overall he says they still return more quickly after less severe illness. (Note that I'm specifically talking about what the NFL's CMO says about NFL players here, and don't shoot off general comments, 'K?)

They need

-no symptoms in 48 hrs

Hapless, I read the article and they talk about 10 days but what is the earliest they can clear the vaccinated protocol? What % of players can be back on the field in 5 days or less?  If we assume the clock started today then Monday is only 5 days away.  So that 20% number is probably way to high if you drop the time from 10 to 5 days - right?

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I like the positivity. However, I'm not so sure the weather will hurt him greatly. I think he hands off the ball often and he doesn't throw the ball past 20 yards. The Pats offense thrives on short quick passes. If anything the wind and weather hurts the Bills more. 

If they know Jones can't pass, stack the box with Star back and it shouldn't be that difficult to stop them. If there is snow, it hurts both teams evenly. Josh has the advantage in the wind though.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I like the positivity. However, I'm not so sure the weather will hurt him greatly. I think he hands off the ball often and he doesn't throw the ball past 20 yards. The Pats offense thrives on short quick passes. If anything the wind and weather hurts the Bills more. 

I’m pretty sure we are also capable of doing other things on offense besides 4-5 WR set and throwing 40+ yard bombs , and even a 7 yard pass can also be affected by bad weather 

Edited by Putin

19 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yeah, color me baffled. I've never seen the gridiron database be wrong before. This is a huge change.

Now this begs the question... is it possible the social media team got it wrong?

9 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yeah, color me baffled. I've never seen the gridiron database be wrong before. This is a huge change.

Now this begs the question... is it possible the social media team got it wrong?

The NFL is trying something new.  The offense is wearing blue and the defense is wearing white.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, the Bills had indeed scored an average of >40 points per game the previous 3 games (43,40,38); 35 points the week before that.  So....

And no, teams don't score TDs on every drive.  But the best teams have red-zone TD % of 70% or up.  The Bills are currently tied for 11th at 62%.  The worst team in the league is currently 43%.

LOL

The Pats put up points in 50% of drives. Their average drive time is something like 2:55 which is in the top 5. 

Sure the Pats have gotten lucky woth other teams injuries. The haven’t been explosive but they’re remarkably efficient. 

I don’t mean this as a TB12/MJ10 comparison at all, but the way these Pats play the game reminds me a lot of the early aughts before Brady was Brady. 

NE has a top 5 defense in nearly every metric. I think the key is getting out ahead by a couple of scores. But getting a 2 score lead is pretty difficult on that defense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Hapless, I read the article and they talk about 10 days but what is the earliest they can clear the vaccinated protocol? What % of players can be back on the field in 5 days or less?  If we assume the clock started today then Monday is only 5 days away.  So that 20% number is probably way to high if you drop the time from 10 to 5 days - right?

I think the theoretical minimum is only 48 hrs.  Let's say the player has no symptoms (which could be a trick, depending upon what the NFL lists as symptoms - could include runny nose, sore throat, fatigue).  Then they test negative the following day, and the day after that.  Back they come.

The NFL has not indicated what % are back in 5 days, but I think it's probably a very good guess indeed that it's considerably less than 20%. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.