EDIT Now: Whatever Pats or Bills topics you wanna discuss Was: Bills (-3.5) vs. Patriots on MNF

Estro

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Let's see how Mac does on Monday night with our defense and the Stadium deafening signal callers. If he survives that we can talk about NE and KC in the  championship game. My feeling is the Bills know this game can catapult them into home field throughout thus NE will get their best. We haven't seen Josh's best yet this season.  Bills get an early lead and the defense plays downhill. You can match positions all you want, when a team gets down early generally young QBs get uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Newsflash Belichick.....NO ONE LIKES YOU!

Except for the gushing media who continue to refuse to acknowledge the many times you've cheated your way to championships. Go Screw Yourself!

You don't like him because he has been the co owner of the bills for 2 decades, greatest coach ever, the one responsible for all the pats success, all the fraud pats fans that screamed Brady are clueless. It has been and always will be belichick

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

You don't like him because he has been the co owner of the bills for 2 decades, greatest coach ever, the one responsible for all the pats success, all the fraud pats fans that screamed Brady are clueless. It has been and always will be belichick

I think Brady was just as responsible if not more so. Who won his 7th Super Bowl last year?

20 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

Belichick's greatest attribute is putting together a solid staff. Goes all the way back to Weis and Crennel. After they left...how long did the Pats miss the Super Bowl for? He's had excellent people under him that do their job extremely well, get promoted to HC, fail and come crawling back to what they do best. Had McDaniels taken that Indy job years ago they would have missed out again.

BB has made poor decision after poor decision in games for decades and has been bailed out by Tom Brady and by star players that took a lesser deal to play with Tom Brady. Belichick was in the right place at the right time. He was an all time great defensive coordinator though.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Game manager is not bad IF... you have the defense to back it up and said game manager improves to a franchise QB.  Game manager QBs don't last long.  No idea which way Mac goes but he has a strong start for sure.

I would have taken a competent game manager at ANY point during the drought.  I don't see it as a derogatory term at all.

It wouldn't be my ideal, but a good game manager can take a team to the SB.  Quite a few have.

And that is certainly all that Jones is at this point. If he wasn't a Patriot, he wouldn't be talked about this way.  He's playing perfectly for an extremely cautious, well-designed offense that doesn't ask too much of him and doesn't put him in bad situations.  It's a huge step between that and carrying a franchise, being able to lead comebacks from multi-score deficits, needing to score in the red zone much more & making clutch plays at the end of a game.

For all we know, this is as good as he will get.  Nothing that has happened so far really contradicts the scouting on him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Honestly I wish Allen had a lot more Brady/game manager in him. As amazing as he can be sometimes, when he refuses to play to the sticks and isn't hitting on chunk plays it costs us drives. 

Brady has been vocal his entire career that basically he is always playing for the first down. At some point a first down will be a touchdown. I don't want Colt McCoy behind center either. But no QB can be consistently reliable at converting 3rd and 7 over and over again, because you keep taking shots deep on early downs. 

What makes Brady the GOAT is he is a game manager, but knows exactly when to take his risks/shots and isn’t afraid to take them. 

Josh gets too greedy. But there are lots of all-time great QB’s who were the same.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Honestly I wish Allen had a lot more Brady/game manager in him. As amazing as he can be sometimes, when he refuses to play to the sticks and isn't hitting on chunk plays it costs us drives. 

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

What makes Brady the GOAT is he is a game manager, but knows exactly when to take his risks/shots and isn’t afraid to take them. 

Josh gets too greedy. But there are lots of all-time great QB’s who were the same.

I don't imagine Josh will EVER be the cerebral, game managing Brady type. 

I view him as much more of a Favre type. I think he'll ALWAYS be a "no, no, no, no......YESSS!!!" guy. He'll likely throw less interceptions than Favre -- he's already better in that category than #4 was. But I predict he'll always have that "win it all or break your heart" gene, and we'll have to learn to take the good with the bad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I don't imagine Josh will EVER be the cerebral, game managing Brady type. 

I view him as much more of a Favre type. I think he'll ALWAYS be a "no, no, no, no......YESSS!!!" guy. He'll likely throw less interceptions than Favre -- he's already better in that category than #4 was. But I predict he'll always have that "win it all or break your heart" gene, and we'll have to learn to take the good with the bad.

exactly right. I think a “smarter” Favre is a good comp. I actually think a young/in his prime Ben R. Is a really good comp too. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Belichick's greatest attribute is putting together a solid staff. Goes all the way back to Weis and Crennel. After they left...how long did the Pats miss the Super Bowl for? He's had excellent people under him that do their job extremely well, get promoted to HC, fail and come crawling back to what they do best. Had McDaniels taken that Indy job years ago they would have missed out again.

BB has made poor decision after poor decision in games for decades and has been bailed out by Tom Brady and by star players that took a lesser deal to play with Tom Brady. Belichick was in the right place at the right time. He was an all time great defensive coordinator though.

wow— this is a very contrarian take

and I have never heard anyone have this view.

I think the more prevalent view is that BB is the genius And his

coordinators are meh— evidenced by the fact that they have almost all

uniformly failed when they left to try their hands at head coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Some great coordinators make bad coaches.  McDaniels is a great OC with a great system.  Do you think that Frazier is just a meh coordinator?  I don't.  He failed as a head coach.

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yes, the popular group think is that Billy is a genius that has unparalleled knowledge of offense, defense and special teams. Knower of all. Sees everything. Rather omnipotent...

I believe he gets far too much credit. This isn't too say he's a terrible coach. Same guy that knows everything and still can't draft well. He has never done well without having a super strong staff behind him. Guys that are great at their job.

And not everyone is a good head coach. I said as much in my post. We see it year in and year out with all these amazing coordinators from every coaching tree. Remember when Matt Nagy was the next big thing? Adam Gase? Anthony Lynn perhaps? 

He's a fortunate man, who landed in a great spot.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Lol he's an all time GREAT COACH

17 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Yes, the popular group think is that Billy is a genius that has unparalleled knowledge of offense, defense and special teams. Knower of all. Sees everything. Rather omnipotent...

I believe he gets far too much credit. This isn't too say he's a terrible coach. Same guy that knows everything and still can't draft well. He has never done well without having a super strong staff behind him. Guys that are great at their job.

And not everyone is a good head coach. I said as much in my post. We see it year in and year out with all these amazing coordinators from every coaching tree. Remember when Matt Nagy was the next big thing? Adam Gase? Anthony Lynn perhaps? 

And truthfully your not qualified nor am I to make these assessments

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Some great coordinators make bad coaches.  McDaniels is a great OC with a great system.  Do you think that Frazier is just a meh coordinator?  I don't.  He failed as a head coach.

i don’t disagree with this. 

I actually think you see new HC’s now compensating for this a bit— like McVay basically being a glorified OC and handing over the defense to Wade

Phillips when he was hired. 

31 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

i need to chew on this. It’s definitely an interesting take! 

My early week take: 

I hate the Pats. It's 20 years and now this...

They are good, and yep, they are a problem.

Bills are capable of being better than Pats. Not sure I like the match up. That being said, I think we are a better team, and no not drastically better coaches, but I'd give the Pats the coaching nod.

Bills won't look past this game. Neither will Pats, but a guy like Mac may not be ready for this. It will be wild and hard fought. The Kool aid will be flowing for Pats and Mac this week, Bills are no schlubs, and well coached or not that's a lot for a Rookie warm weather QB to take in. I think Mac may be due for a stinker.  I also think we may see this team 3 times.

Sure, Bills are a bit of wildfire. I think we will burn hot Monday night and give these golden boys a set back. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

It's definitely going to be a tough game. I don't want to call it a must win but this is as close to a must win as you can get without it actually being one. McDermott likes to use the phrase "Defend Our Dirt" when playing at home. This week that is especially true. I don't want the Bills to have to go into NE needing a win to get the split.

Agree. As a Bills fan its hard for me to be confident about this game. Im hopeful but not confident the Bills get the win. The Patriots are playing at another level on both sides of the ball. Have arguably the beat coach in NFL history, and the Bills have been very inconsistent with there play. Hard to know what Bills team shows up?  I think we know what Patriot team shows up. If the Bills play well and execute they ahould win the game. Thats a big if though...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

My early week take: 

I hate the Pats. It's 20 years and now this...

They are good, and yep, they are a problem.

Bills are capable of being better than Pats. Not sure I like the match up. That being said, I think we are a better team, and no not drastically better coaches, but I'd give the Pats the coaching nod.

Bills won't look past this game. Neither will Pats, but a guy like Mac may not be ready for this. It will be wild and hard fought. The Kool aid will be flowing for Pats and Mac this week, well coached or not that's a lot to take in. I think Mac may be due for a stinker.  I also think may see this team 3 times.

Sure, Bills are a bit of wildfire. I think we will burn hot Monday night and give these golden boys a set back. 

Isn't this just awesome? I can't wait for this game. In my opinion, this is what we've been waiting for: serious games with serious implications against the Pats.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, CheshireCT said:

Isn't this just awesome? I can't wait for this game. In my opinion, this is what we've been waiting for: serious games with serious implications against the Pats.

That's a good perspective.

Personally, I was hoping to blow them out twice a year for eternity, while they ended up picking between 8-11 in the draft every year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.