Dane Jackson a future star

Frez

14 hours ago, White Linen said:

Big difference between being special and surviving this, don't you think?

two different responses.  One was in reply to a poster who implied that since White was special, Jackson couldn't be.  That's total nonsense.  They could both be special.  The second was in response to the "our season is over" type of posts.  That is nonsense.  Even if Jackson is average, our season isn't over if we are a well-constructed and coached team.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

We’re all expecting to go heavy zone and ask Levi/Dane to cover their areas.   Much easier to do than asking them to man up.  

As other have said, this isn’t about next man up replacing Tre, it’s about Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, Hyde, Poyer, Johnson, Hughes, Addison, Rousseau, Epenesa, Star etc.. elevating their play to replace Tre.  

If Oliver has turned the corner to become a top flight penetrating DT, I’d argue that’s more important in modern football than any shut down corner.  

It seems like every Titans game, we’re told how bad their secondary is, and every Titans game, their pressure scheme makes it so that narrative doesn’t matter.   Look no further than Josh Allen vs the Chiefs in the AFCCG to see what pressure can mask. 

Yep, if we actually had a DL that could generate pressure.  We'll find out what we are made of soon, if this creates a failure, it's on Bean's terrible job fixing the DL.  

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Just don't get beat deep. That's all he needs to do. 

The SuperBowl is solely dependent on Allen. 

Honestly, this is about right.  Tre is awesome and can't be replaced, but our D is still above average.  If Allen and the O can get it going with our real o-line, we'll be fine.  If not, it probably wasn't happening anyway.

20 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Some of the games left: NE twice, Tampa Bay, Falcons, Panthers and Jets. Except for Bucs, no truly elite WRs Buffalo would need to lock down to finish the season. Of course, playoffs will be different (assuming the Bills make the playoffs and no I’m not being pessimistic, just nothing guaranteed) but at that point who knows what happens.

Somewhat ironically, the run game now plays an even bigger role for the Bills to be able to continue to win.

If we somehow do miss the playoffs I’m sure we can all agree that we have a bigger problem then just not having Tre White on the field 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

vs the Pats power run game, Dane will be an asset.  He's in the same league as Taron/Poyer in terms of hitting.

There will be times we'll miss Tre but not this Monday night.

I think this is a highly overlooked point. Tre White, while being superlative in all aspects of coverage and instinct, is a statistically poor tackler. The thing we need most against NE--which is, coincidentally our ticket into or out of the playoffs--is players who can tackle RBs and TEs.

I'm not saying it's good that we've lost Tre; that's balderdash. What I am saying is that Jackson's skill set is more valuable against NE than some might lead us to believe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:42 PM, MasterStrategist said:

Dane will be fine, he's not Tre but few are.

I've seen Dane play high school, where he was an excellent dual threat QB (recruited by some schools at that position) and then go on to play at Pitt.  He's a team first, great kid.  Polite, quiet and hard working. 

Thought he was going to beat out Levi for the #2 spot this offseason, but anyone saying we don't have depth is crazy.  He will step in and do solid for us.

I agree. I think Dane's future is bright. Smart hard working and instinctive. Big fan
He and Cam Lewis will be steady enough , and likely make plays.

Good post MS and ty

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:12 PM, Frez said:

A star is about to be born.  Dane Jackson will be a stand out CB for the Buffalo Bills all the way to the SB. 

let’s goooooooooooooooo! 

If he had superstar potential, he would have been drafted higher than the seventh round.

I would be satisfied with “serviceable”, and “not the reason the Bills lose”.🤞

• Agree 1

On 11/27/2021 at 10:50 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, I think White is a good CB but not top 10 good. Jackson will step in and do a good job. Our amazing FS, SS and nickel will help cover the lose of White. I will let the numbers do the talking for me.

And you are taking into consideration, I hope, that teams don't throw Tre's way very often as you view the numbers?

Edited by ChasBB
clarity

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m picturing guy who is going to give up some plays But is gonna be awesome in run support for a corner

I mean that's a good attribute to have like a good run-blocking WR.

You never know how he'll perform. This is a once in a lifetime chance so maybe he'll play w a little heart. We shall see... 

On 11/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Just don't get beat deep. That's all he needs to do. 

The SuperBowl is solely dependent on Allen. 

He is important but he has shown he is still young and needs help as a running game would allow Josh to be his best. He doesn’t do well, nor do the Bills when everyone knows Josh is dropping back 40 plus times in a game.  Look at the division leaders , they all have balanced attacks.  Look at the defending SB Bucs, Brady is getting help from strong running from fournette.  Can’t ignore our offensive issues just because we took a big hit on our D.

I get your intended point , if Josh can play flawlessly , quit doing things he keeps reiterating he can’t do, we do have a chance to offset tres loss.  Without Josh at his best , not throwing ints, not fumbling, not looking confident , not having any game winning drives, etc, we just don’t look like we can overcome the Tre loss. Best hope is Josh at his best with help.  I hate to say this, but I hope we see a Josh as willing to be patient running the O as jones has been doing that with the Pats. 

I think it will come down to coaching.

Of course, we are not going to get anywhere near the same level of speed, experience, or coverage abilities from Dane as we did from Tre. But Dane IS a stud tackler (seriously, like Antoine Winfield, Sr. level of tackling). So, as long as the coaches don't ask Dane (or Levi) to do what Tre did and instead play to the strengths of the two guys now starting, I think we'll be ok. Kind of like last year with A.J. Klein. When they put him in to replicate what either Milano or Edmunds did, he failed. But when they played to his strengths (when he was in the game), he played well. Dane has strengths, they just aren't the same as Tre's. Play to his strengths, give him help in certain situations, etc. Maybe they won't be able to take as many chances on D, have to play it a bit safer, but they could still be very solid.

Will Dane get targeted, picked on, and burned sometimes...sure, but I think it's still too early to label Dane's level of coverage ability. He is still very young (2nd-year player, 126 total snaps---or a 4.5 snaps/game average). Young guys get burned by vets, just the way it is. It takes time to learn any position in the league. How many rookie QBs throw tons of INTs their first year, but then go on to be very good QBs in the future. It's because they haven't seen enough looks or different style defenses yet. Once they've seen it a couple of times, they aren't fooled by it, and react better. Similar with CBs seeing different routes, moves, speeds of receivers, etc. Even if he doesn't become a star as the OP suggests, he will improve the more reps he gets. It's just a matter of how fast can he do that, what his true ceiling is, and how the coaches can cover for him a bit until he gets there.

But, either way, I know three things, Dane is going to play physical, tackle like a beast, and give it his all (play his tail off)...and I'm good with that. Hopefully his coverage abilities will continue to improve and not turn out to be a liability. But I think that is up to the coaching staff to put him in situations where he can succeed.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I mean that's a good attribute to have like a good run-blocking WR.

You never know how he'll perform. This is a once in a lifetime chance so maybe he'll play w a little heart. We shall see... 

He seems to play with heart. Some of us recall his 1st series on the field. he got beat.
Next throw at him he blew up the receiver with confidence. 

Oh he got heart and he can hit.

not sure he can run one on one with a deep out called just yet

Frazier will likely adjust with Poyer or Hyde helping call out to Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.