Does CB Now Become a Necessity Early in 2022 Draft

thronethinker

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you look at starting CB’s in the NFL (esp CB1), they are mostly first and second round picks. That’s just the reality. Guys like Norman, Sherman are the rare exceptions to the rule. 

i just pulled up this PFF list of top CB’s in the NFL, and they are pretty much all 1st and 2nd round picks.

it’s just a position where draft position correlates much more highly to NFL success. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-cornerback-rankings-the-32-best-outside-cornerbacks-entering-the-2021-nfl-season

Looking at a recent first round mock, I'm seeing 6 CB's, 2 iDL, 5 EDGE, 2 iol [G/C], 2 LB, 2 OT, 4 QB [in a bad class], 3 S, and 6 WR's.

We have needs at CB (Tre/ Wallace in a contract year), iOL [G/C] (our hot garbage guards/Morse getting old), Edge (Hughes), and slot W/R to replace Beas.

I'm thinking CB, Guard, Edge, Slot

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, boater said:

McDermott and Bean seem to like drafting Best Player Available rather than drafting to fill specific positional needs.

Having said that, I hope CB comes up as BPA. You can never have too many good CB.

I don't think they've shown that at all. 

I think it's pretty clear they went out of their way the last two drafts to get McDermott toys for his 20 man d line rotation. And it's hurting us big time now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

The only position we dont need is QB. 

Take the best player available period. 

People say that, but it assumes there is some master list comprised of perfectly correct, objective information, listing the players in order according to quality.   There is no such list!  

My point is the Bills (and everyone else) have NO IDEA who the "best player" available is at any level.

We need to address specific needs anyway.

A DB is always a great idea; after QBs and WRs, it's arguably the most important position on the team.

The OL needs attention as well, and I would prioritize that over DB at this point, notwithstanding the injury to Tre.

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They will have plenty of cap space next year.  That said, I would be fine with your approach.  I would disagree that starter quality C/G's are cheap though.  Dumpster diving for guys like Feliciano may be cheap but they would have to pay a premium to get a top 15 C/G

It’s not just about next year.  It’s about the salary cap going forward.

It’s true.  C and G are both on the lower half of positions salaries.  Guard $ is rising with the last few contracts given to the browns guards.  But still in the lower half of the pay scale.  
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

Rb, FB and MLB are the only positions lower.  Well, they list corners as lower too, but that’s all corners lumped into one, while there should be 2 categories- corners and slot corners imo.  Slot corners would be MUCH lower than G and C, while outside corners would be higher imo.  Even safeties are paid more than G and C.  

40 minutes ago, gordong said:

Being back and playing at an all pro level are two very different things, it almost always takes two years to fully recover from an acl tear. We are going to need to draft a corner early next year .  We are not in horrible shape but this is going to hurt the defense which means we need the offense to step up and start playing like they can every week. 

You haven’t even seen how our defense performs with the guys that we have.  This isn’t a question to be answered now.  I’m quite confident that, as of right now, Brandon Beane hasn’t come to the conclusion that we have to draft a CB high. And if I happen to be wrong, and he thinks we have to draft a CB, that Tre’s injury has nothing to do with him thinking that way. 

yes.  Tre may not be 💯 come the start of the season, but he will be a starter next year.  Taron will be a starter next year. Levi may or may not. Dane may or may not.  When strategizing about what we will do at the Cb position, the GM MUST start with the players on the roster.  That’s what he’s going to do.  He’s going to try out some FAs and try to find some diamonds in the rough, while bringing our guys along and deciding if they should be part of the team going forward.  How they play will likely dictate whether or not we draft a CB high in next years draft.  I consider high to be 1st or 2nd rd.  

1 hour ago, Process said:

NO

Enough defense with our early picks. We are young at CB, sign a vet in FA. 

The offense needs to be the main focus next off season. G, G, WR, RB, TE. 

Our O needs a mini rebuild, we need another playmaker desperately, we need to get younger and meaner.

I’m in total agreement besides this draft is loaded with CBs. My wish is Trevor Penning and Breece Hall. I’d play Penning at RT, move Brown to the left and put Dawkins at a guard position. Breece Hall is another version of Jonathan Taylor, IMO

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s not just about next year.  It’s about the salary cap going forward.

It’s true.  C and G are both on the lower half of positions salaries.  Guard $ is rising with the last few contracts given to the browns guards.  But still in the lower half of the pay scale.  
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

Rb, FB and MLB are the only positions lower.  Well, they list corners as lower too, but that’s all corners lumped into one, while there should be 2 categories- corners and slot corners imo.  Slot corners would be MUCH lower than G and C, while outside corners would be higher imo.  Even safeties are paid more than G and C.  

Wrong mindset. They should be all in now and next year.  Otherwise they waste Allen's best years. Who cares about the cap in 2023.

24 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m in total agreement besides this draft is loaded with CBs. My wish is Trevor Penning and Breece Hall. I’d play Penning at RT, move Brown to the left and put Dawkins at a guard position. Breece Hall is another version of Jonathan Taylor, IMO

You are the man with the plan love this scenario. Josh Allen off of a dominating run game would be devastating. I would just leave the tackles at their current spots though.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
Change of plans
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

And there's nothing stopping us from discussing it now. It's not like we're the team and have to be super focused on new england, it's possible to discuss multiple topics at once. If you don't like it don't click on the thread. 

Fair enough. 

I respect that. Just seems a bit quick to whip out the old mock draft machine with more than 6 games to go (and a deep playoff run on top of it).

I would still focus the first 2, if not 3, picks on offensive line. Our corners have been great, Tre will be back next year and hopefully the Bills can get a team friendly deal for Levi again. I dont see cornerbacks as as big of a need as interior offensive line, if the bills have competent guards, they are a superbowl contender with the rest of the roster. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

And Epenesa and Ford? Because none of those guys were BPA

Certainly can't defend taking Ford.  Bills saw him as an OT while other teams saw him as a guard.  I'm too lazy to look up Epenesa ranking but I'll take your word for it.

BPA is usually the way to go but the Bills were jammed with DL guys when they took Basham.  Now he's in street clothes most games.  Someone posted a few weeks back there are 10 OL guys drafted after Basham who are playing significant snaps.  One of which is the Steelers starting center Kendrick Green.

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wrong mindset. They should be all in now and next year.  Otherwise they waste Allen's best years. Who cares about the cap in 2023.

I mean….did you see what we did this offseason?  Far from all in.  As much as I agree, we should be going all in, I don’t think it’s going to happen with these guys.  These guys are all about sustained success and, imo, that means never going all in.  

I agreed with you all offseason. Neither of us thought Beane handled the offseason properly.  

I disagree that these are Allens best years. He’s not a RB or a new pair of sneakers.  His salary cap was the lowest during these years, if that’s what you mean.  Best chance to spend lots of money around his rookie contract.  But I hope and believe that josh will be a better qb in 3-5 years than he is now. Beane and co looks to be playing this this long term and give him the ability to have a good shot at the title every year as opposed to a great shot in a couple years. 

Which is the correct way to build a winner? Dunno, but Super Bowls can be won in multiple ways of team building.  Beane is going to do it his way and going all in is unlikely imo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.