Does CB Now Become a Necessity Early in 2022 Draft

thronethinker

Just now, thronethinker said:

With our lack of CB depth and the obvious with Tre, will Buffalo look for a CB early in 2022? Obviously the OL needs to be addressed as well, but this may have created another need. I am not saying Tre wont recover, but with these injuries you never know.

i think they go corner or at least a DB of some kind in the first two rounds. I was worried about our safeties already getting up there in age. 

Corner is one of those positions too where you need to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick. Not a lot of elite “sleepers” you can get later on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

Wallace is on a 1 year deal so something needs to be done regardless of Tre’s prognosis.  Probably more than one thing between FA and the draft.  But as @EmotionallyUnstable stated, it’s too early to worry about it.  That’s what the off-season is for.  And who knows?  Maybe a depth player surprises and we don’t have as great a need as we think right now. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

With our lack of CB depth and the obvious with Tre, will Buffalo look for a CB early in 2022? Obviously the OL needs to be addressed as well, but this may have created another need. I am not saying Tre wont recover, but with these injuries you never know.

I don't think CB has moved to the top of their "needs" list but if the right player is there they will take him.    They would probably have done so this past draft as well if the right player was there.   Tre White will be back and be fine.    He's a great athlete and a dedicated pro.    Rod Woodson tore his ACL in summer and came back in January to play in the Super Bowl.   I fully expect him to be fine next season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I don’t see why his injury would change things right now.  Tre will likely be back for the start of next season if his rehab goes well.   We should let Dane and Cam play, see how they do, than have this conversation.  

Levi’s impending FA is a more applicable scenario to this discussion atm.  Will we pay Levi or will someone pay him more?  If he leaves, it will likely be a position of need in the draft unless we add some bargain FA vets. I don’t think we’ll be spending much cap space on his replacement if we let levi go. 

30 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

We’ve got all off season to talk about this.

And there's nothing stopping us from discussing it now. It's not like we're the team and have to be super focused on new england, it's possible to discuss multiple topics at once. If you don't like it don't click on the thread. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

The only position we dont need is QB. 

Take the best player available period. 

I agree with DJB. If a CB is the best available player at #32 then take him. But we are adding as much five year talent at each pick and not expecting our picks to be instant saviors at their position. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i think they go corner or at least a DB of some kind in the first two rounds. I was worried about our safeties already getting up there in age. 

Corner is one of those positions too where you need to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick. Not a lot of elite “sleepers” you can get later on. 

I don’t agree with any of this. Hyde and Poyer are the best safety tandem in football and they are showing no signs of slowing down. 

If there is one thing (and there is more than one) that McD is good at, it’s developing corners. He’s taken an undrafted free agent and a 7th rounder and made them more than serviceable. In Carolina, he made Josh Norman a star and never had a high draft pick at either corner spot. 

• Agree 3

NO

Enough defense with our early picks. We are young at CB, sign a vet in FA. 

The offense needs to be the main focus next off season. G, G, WR, RB, TE. 

Our O needs a mini rebuild, we need another playmaker desperately, we need to get younger and meaner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

CB, G, TE there’s your first 3 picks…I think we pickup a veteran DB and RB in free agency since this isn’t a particular good class for RBS at least at the top 

Completely agree with 1st two CB and guard.  Actually would tweak it slightly to say guard/center. To me TE is a position that takes a couple years to develop unless it was a top 5 overall pick like Pitts.  The Bills need TE help in 2022 and are in an overall win now mode so would rather see them pick up a FA vet FA TE

Also would  sign a top FA guard too.

Like was stated last year pre-draft, the Bills don't really have roster spots for 5 or 6 rookies.

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

The only position we dont need is QB. 

Take the best player available period. 

Interesting for every team in the league for whomever the team selects they always say was the best player available.  IMO the player they pick might be one of the top 5 to top 10 BPA, but the guy they select better fits their own needs.  Nothing wrong with doing that either, but do find it comical how they always say: "He was at the top of our board".

Just now, Process said:

NO

Enough defense with our early picks. We are young at CB, sign a vet in FA. 

The offense needs to be the main focus next off season. G, G, WR, RB, TE. 

Our O needs a mini rebuild, we need another playmaker desperately, we need to get younger and meaner.

Totally agree. It’s so easy to see that Beane made a mistake this off-season by basically running back last years line and thinking we’d be fine. Yes, he drafted Brown who appears to be a stud. Great find. But beyond that, he added an aging Emmanuel sanders to a 1 year deal and our only speedy weapon in Matt Breida is also on a 1 year deal. 

We need playmakers and guys that can protect our qb. We have invested so many recent high picks in defense and now it’s time to do that with some nasty dudes for the line. We will also need to replace Beasley soon so a speedy slot guy has to be considered. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t see why his injury would change things right now.  Tre will likely be back for the start of next season if his rehab goes well.   We should let Dane and Cam play, see how they do, than have this conversation.  

Levi’s impending FA is a more applicable scenario to this discussion atm.  Will we pay Levi or will someone pay him more?  If he leaves, it will likely be a position of need in the draft unless we add some bargain FA vets. I don’t think we’ll be spending much cap space on his replacement if we let levi go. 

Considering this happened very late Nov, IMO that's optimistic .  He may be back week 1 but maybe at about 75%.  Think it would need to go extremely well to be ready to go week 1 without seeing any drop off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.