Buffalo #1 NFL City ... for Bad Weather as per The Weather Channel

ChasBB

12 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I thought Buffalo was cold when I lived there but having lived in Laramie Wyoming (before Josh was even born), Omaha Nebraska, and now Alaska I can tell you there are far colder places.  Lots of snow in Buffalo of course, and of course the accumulation depends on where you live as others have said. 

Strictly from a PR perspective, it would be better if the new stadium was inside Buffalo to avoid most of the big lake effect storms, but if the wind is from the southwest instead of the south, downtown can get nailed too.

But so what.  Yes it snows there.  It's SERIOUSLY cold here (Fairbanks Alaska) where we fortunately warmed up to -1F a couple of days ago and will be close to -30F again on Saturday night.  And it's dark, with only a few hours of daylight.  We had snow this year in September, while it was still summer.  And it chills your heart to know that winter isn't here yet.  And the winters are LONG -- we'll have deep snow on the ground until early May. 

There are a lot of celebrities who act as if the only two places in the country where a person could live are downstate New York and southern California.  Other people think the only places where a person could live are NFL cities, and so comparisons like this article are important for some reason.  It is what it is.  You live where you live for a variety of reasons, and which reasons are most important depends on your personal preferences.  

Well duh…you live in friggin’ Alaska.  😂

15 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I thought Buffalo was cold when I lived there but having lived in Laramie Wyoming (before Josh was even born), Omaha Nebraska, and now Alaska I can tell you there are far colder places.  Lots of snow in Buffalo of course, and of course the accumulation depends on where you live as others have said. 

Strictly from a PR perspective, it would be better if the new stadium was inside Buffalo to avoid most of the big lake effect storms, but if the wind is from the southwest instead of the south, downtown can get nailed too.

But so what.  Yes it snows there.  It's SERIOUSLY cold here (Fairbanks Alaska) where we fortunately warmed up to -1F a couple of days ago and will be close to -30F again on Saturday night.  And it's dark, with only a few hours of daylight.  We had snow this year in September, while it was still summer.  And it chills your heart to know that winter isn't here yet.  And the winters are LONG -- we'll have deep snow on the ground until early May. 

There are a lot of celebrities who act as if the only two places in the country where a person could live are downstate New York and southern California.  Other people think the only places where a person could live are NFL cities, and so comparisons like this article are important for some reason.  It is what it is.  You live where you live for a variety of reasons, and which reasons are most important depends on your personal preferences.  

Surprisingly tho, Juneau, AK actually has almost the exact same winter climate as we do, even tho it is much farther north because of the warmer ocean waters it sits near...in some cases, it is warmer in the winter than we are here!  But the rest of Alaska...forget it...especially the places up near Barrow...brrrr....

21 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This Buffalo you speak of seems to be a very appealing place to visit. I must make a plan to visit sometime, preferably in December - February.

Haha...come in the summer...best weather in the US and tons of festivals.

Edited by Big Turk

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I bounced around at UB through various college majors before taking an intro to meteorology course offered by the physics department.  I was hooked, and I never looked back.  Had to transfer to SUNY Albany to pursue the major.  It was a great career, taking me to places all over the country.  I hope whatever you settled on has worked out as well for you as meteorology did for me.  

Super cool! I am now a software engineer, which is my passion!  Took me until I was almost 40 to find it, but better late than never!

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

For years and years - every study shows the same thing - Buffalo is top 1 or 2 for wind during NFL games and has one of the most difficult stadiums to kick and thrown in because of how that wind comes across the stadium and swirls.

Buffalo is the snowiest NFL stadium for games and is near the top in rain and precipitation for all venues.  Small amounts of snow are not a big deal, but rain and heavy snow has major impacts - especially when combined with the wind.

Buffalo is one of the coldest cities - although GB is and can be colder - it doesn’t combine all of the other weather the way Buffalo does.

Buffalo is by far the worst NFL city for weather and we have a chance to fix that any of multiple ways.  A new OP stadium built with better wind and weather blocking and built at a proper angle and not dug down - will all help with the wind, but does little for the rain and snow and temperatures.

A covered stadium fixes all 3 issues.

A downtown stadium likely also helps as there is less wind and the stadium design can help, there is significantly less snow and the temperature is warmer closer to the water.

There are so many good options to adjust this, but most likely we will stay status Quo and remain a place no one can play at their peak level.

Agree, I’m over the rain more than anything. There’s just too many negative weather possibilities at the current site. It’s either rain, snow, cold, or wind. I don’t need perfect weather, but too often it’s just terrible. I don’t have seasons, but seem to end up going to many October and November games for some reason. I think it rained the last seven or eight times I’ve gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

Quick summary of the video if this hasn't been posted already:

Worst weather cites:

weather.jpg

1. Buffalo

2. Green Bay

3. Cleveland

4. Miami

5. Pittsburgh

Based on 5 weather factors gathered from the National Weather Service 1991-2020:

heat, precipitation, snow, cold, wind

Only outdoors stadiums were considered (20 in all), not domes or those with retractable roofs.

15 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Would we still be on the list if we played in a dome?

No,  according to the conditions given in the video. No dome or retractable roofs allowed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BTB said:

Today in WNY…cold, gray, windy and snow flurries…depending on where you are at, much more than flurries. 

In one word…depressing. 😞

I'm good with it. Must affect people differently. If you're not used to it by now, you never will be. I know what I signed up for.

Edited by Bferra13

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have to say, this seems so over-played.

In December and January, MOST of this country is cold and crappy.  I'm not sure it's any worse in Orchard Park, especially if there is no storm at the moment.

Also: parts of this country (Green Bay, Chicago, Minneapolis) are FREAKING COLD in the winter time...they routinely get much colder air than Buffalo does, thanks to the lake.

On a non-storm kind of day, I'd rather be in Buffalo than Green Bay or Chicago, with minus 3 outside air temps.

It just doesn't get that cold in WNY typically.

agreed, I've lived in Chicago and now Appleton which is 30 minutes SW of Lambeau.

Chicago is 10 degrees colder in winter and Appleton is 20 degrees colder. Jan-March absolutely sucks. routinely does not get above 0 for a high in Jan-Feb/snow never melts because it never gets above freezing either when it warms up a little and March never ends. In Buffalo St Patty's day is pretty much the end of winter but you have another month here- it just drags on. 

I'll take snow 3x/week over cold any year. 

Edited by Robert Paulson

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Actually Boston is windier than we are...average winds in Buffalo are 11.8 mph to 12.3 mph for Boston

I'm surprised.  I was certain Buffalo was the NFL's windiest city.  But, in fact, you are right: we're currently second to Boston but still windier than the so-called, "Windy City."  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Green Bay and Chicago seem to have more snow games than we have.  

The wind is getting ridiculous though.  Every pregame it’s a conversation piece.  Hopefully our next stadium has designs to address this even if it won’t likely be a dome. 

The  media in the Indy game was talking about the wind and rain.  Barely any wind and light rain that day. 

Edited by Wacka

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm surprised.  I was certain Buffalo was the NFL's windiest city.  But, in fact, you are right: we're currently second to Boston but still windier than the so-called, "Windy City."  

I didn’t realize we have more wind than Chicago. “Buffalo is warmer than Chicago” seems to be a common defense mechanism in WNY, throws that one away, considering our average January highs are about identical to Chicago. 

Edited by SirAndrew

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Chicago isn't called the 'Windy City' because of weather. It originated long time ago because of all the big time politicians talking all the time 'big bags of wind'.  At least that is one theory.

Just a little tibit for ya.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.