Matt Breida transforms our offense.

FireChans

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

These are different scenarios.

But regarding Peterman, what I heard was that he looked really poised and accurate in camp.  And again in preseason.  And fell apart in actual games.  

All talent evaluators make mistakes.  For whatever reason, they have hope some guy is going to step up and he doesn't.  

But to say McD made Breida sit because Moss and Singletary were 3rd round draft picks is just not very probable.  McD cares about winning.  For the sake of the team, the fans, and his own career, nothing is more important.  But he'll make Breida sit because of favoritism for a 3rd round pick.  That's not a believable scenario.  

Breida was a backup in San Francisco.  A backup in Miami.  But when McD makes him a backup in Buffalo, it's some kind of idiotic conspiracy.

If he ran the wrong screen route the other night because he didn't know the playbook, it's possible he knew even less of the playbook earlier in the season.  Hence the reason they didn't play him much, earlier.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/26/2021 at 6:20 AM, FireChans said:

Honestly, why has it taken this dude 10 weeks to get on the field?

He’s an absolute weapon and a solid piece in passing and running. I saw several plays that Singletary got 4 on that Breida could have gotten 12 because of the difference in speed. Not to say Singletary had a bad game, he’s just limited.

Its time for 24 carries a game between the two of them for the rest of the year.

His speed is dynamic. Used correctly he can be a very nice weapon for the Bills. We've seen it the few games he's played. 

18 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

All I'm saying is to keep this in perspective. Brenda was dumped by Miami for reason. He was not effective there. In SF he as effective in their run scheme but he was more prone to fumble than their other backs (which he has already shown us as well). He is on this team due to his speed and let's hope he can provide the spark McDermott was and is looking for. 

In no way is this in support of Moss or even Singletary who both have shown to have numerous worts. 

Perspective.

Very good post. Brieda is a pure speed guy who is effective getting 5 to 10 touches a game. Outside runs and short passes and see if he can take it to the house. Last game was an example of his skill set when he took that screen in for a TD. He's a piece on the offense that makes the Bills more dangerous. 

44 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Duke Williams could not prove he was an NFL caliber player. 

Bad comparison.

Right, my bad. I forgot, Breida and his immense talent suddenly transformed the Bills' offense into an unstoppable force...

I couldn't see that it wasn't the last 6 carries of the game netting only 8 yards and three negative yardage plays that mattered. It was the speed in which he displayed while netting those 8 yards that transformed the offense. Oh yeah, and I forgot the 23 yard TD reception in which he didn't see a defender for the first 10 yards and then ran through a big hole created by excellent downfield blocking to go untouched all the way to the endzone...

Look, I like the speed he adds to the offense and I hope he continues to see the field. However, starting a thread saying he transformed the offense is silly

9 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right, my bad. I forgot, Breida and his immense talent suddenly transformed the Bills' offense into an unstoppable force...

I couldn't see that it wasn't the last 6 carries of the game netting only 8 yards and three negative yardage plays that mattered. It was the speed in which he displayed while netting those 8 yards that transformed the offense. Oh yeah, and I forgot the 23 yard TD reception in which he didn't see a defender for the first 10 yards and then ran through a big hole created by excellent downfield blocking to go untouched all the way to the endzone...

Look, I like the speed he adds to the offense and I hope he continues to see the field. However, starting a thread saying he transformed the offense is silly

I think you should go and watch that screen play again I didn’t see any great blocking 

38 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillDu01.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreiMa00.htm

Your comparison sucked and you continue to embarrass yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Putin said:

I think you should go and watch that screen play again I didn’t see any great blocking 

I did watch it and if you didn't see the good downfield blocking then you just don't want to see it.

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Your comparison sucked and you continue to embarrass yourself.

I'm not the one that started a thread about a backup running back transforming an offense that has averaged more yards and points per game without him than with him....

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I did watch it and if you didn't see the good downfield blocking then you just don't want to see it.

I'm not the one that started a thread about a backup running back transforming an offense that has averaged more yards and points per game without him than with him....

How does this make him Duke Williams? 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

How does this make him Duke Williams? 

It makes him someone you want and claim him to be - that he isn't and never will be. Much like the Duke Williams true believers.

But hey, if you want to believe Breida is the missing piece to bring a SB title to this team, then you be you... :beer:

He'd done well.

But no he doesn't transform the offense. Teams didn't have film on him in this offense. That makes you a lot harder to prepare for. As they get film, they'll see tendencies and know how to defense him.

He's a good player, but transforming the offense is a major overstatement.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are just grumpy old man 

8 hours ago, Putin said:

You are just grumpy old man 

Not really.

But back to the point about the 23 yard TD play in which you said you didn't see any good blocking downfield. The hole that Breida ran through didn't magically create itself. Boettger did a great job disrupting 3 defenders and  Morse got his man. Ford (while typically lost) actually didn't have anyone to block here but was downfield and was looking to block the DB if Breida had to cut further inside behind Ford. There were five Bills downfield blocking or looking to block someone on this play. As a result, a half hearted arm extension by a DB is as close as Breida ever came to being tackled on this play. He did well on the play; however, to be honest, Singletary or Moss  probably would have gotten through that hole as well.

323232911_Breida1.thumb.jpg.74b5a063f071cb298e52a4d3759711fe.jpg

The truth about Breida's game on Thursday night is this: He brought some extra speed to the game and I like that in this offense. However, on the plays in which he did well, the blocking at the point of attack and/or downfield was good. When he was average to poor (which was on about half his touches), the blocking was bad. 

That is the same story we have seen all year, no matter who is in the backfield. The offensive line has been in shambles all year. The top four linemen and the positions in which they help this team the most are Dawkins at LT, Morse at C, Williams at RG, and Brown at RT. Those four have played together in only 4 of 11 games this year. When they have, the team averaged 135 yards rushing, 321 yards passing, 456 total yards, and 38.5 points per game.

Having those four on the field (with preferrably Feliciano or Boettger at LG) is what transforms this offense

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Not really.

But back to the point about the 23 yard TD play in which you said you didn't see any good blocking downfield. The hole that Breida ran through didn't magically create itself. Boettger did a great job disrupting 3 defenders and  Morse got his man. Ford (while typically lost) actually didn't have anyone to block here but was downfield and was looking to block the DB if Breida had to cut further inside behind Ford. There were five Bills downfield blocking or looking to block someone on this play. As a result, a half hearted arm extension by a DB is as close as Breida ever came to being tackled on this play. He did well on the play; however, to be honest, Singletary or Moss  probably would have gotten through that hole as well.

323232911_Breida1.thumb.jpg.74b5a063f071cb298e52a4d3759711fe.jpg

The truth about Breida's game on Thursday night is this: He brought some extra speed to the game and I like that in this offense. However, on the plays in which he did well, the blocking at the point of attack and/or downfield was good. When he was average to poor (which was on about half his touches), the blocking was bad. 

That is the same story we have seen all year, no matter who is in the backfield. The offensive line has been in shambles all year. The top four linemen and the positions in which they help this team the most are Dawkins at LT, Morse at C, Williams at RG, and Brown at RT. Those four have played together in only 4 of 11 games this year. When they have, the team averaged 135 yards rushing, 321 yards passing, 456 total yards, and 38.5 points per game.

Having those four on the field (with preferrably Feliciano or Boettger at LG) is what transforms this offense

Counterpoint:

Breida averages 6.5 yards per touch. Moss averages 4.6, Singletary 4.7.

Breida averages a TD every 9 touches. Devin averages a TD every 62 touches, Moss every 18 touches.

To say that our two molasses boys “probably get through that hole too” when we have watched them get caught from behind for 2 years straight is laugh out loud funny.

Breida is our best weapon out of the backfield. He doesn’t even know the playbook and he’s running circles around the other two goobers.

Just now, FireChans said:

Counterpoint:

Breida averages 6.5 yards per touch. Moss averages 4.6, Singletary 4.7.

Breida averages a TD every 9 touches. Devin averages a TD every 62 touches, Moss every 18 touches.

To say that our two molasses boys “probably get through that hole too” when we have watched them get caught from behind for 2 years straight is laugh out loud funny.

Breida is our best weapon out of the backfield. He doesn’t even know the playbook and he’s running circles around the other two goobers.

Are you Breida's mother by any chance? If not, then this really feels like an unhealthy fixation...

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.