Matt Breida transforms our offense.

FireChans

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Singletary - 68% of snaps

Breida - 32% of snaps

This needs to change to at least 50/50. With as hot as he was in the 1st half, it was driving me insane seeing series after series in the 2nd half with Singletary. He wasn't bad last night. But I couldn't help but think that on the one big 10 yard run he had that Breida would have taken it to the house if he had that hole. 

I don't understand McDermott's undying loyalty to him and refusing to see anyone else as the lead back. Even in post game, when the media was asking him about Breida, he cut them off to say "I think BOTH backs were great today".

1) Singletary gets more snaps because this is still a passing offense and Singletary is much better at pass protection than Breida.

2) Breida's first three runs netted 20 yards. His last 5 carries in the first half netted 8 yds, including two runs for negative yards. He also had a short pass over the middle for 6 yards. I hardly think that qualifies as being "hot" in the 1st half.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, why has it taken this dude 10 weeks to get on the field?

He’s an absolute weapon and a solid piece in passing and running. I saw several plays that Singletary got 4 on that Breida could have gotten 12 because of the difference in speed. Not to say Singletary had a bad game, he’s just limited.

Its time for 24 carries a game between the two of them for the rest of the year.

.....the same reason it took so long to realize players like Peterman and Ford were busts. Breida was a very good acquisition that got buried because of two 3rd round investments. What drives me nuts is if they realized Moss and Singletary had no speed then why not give Breida the snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

.....the same reason it took so long to realize players like Peterman and Ford were busts. Breida was a very good acquisition that got buried because of two 3rd round investments. What drives me nuts is if they realized Moss and Singletary had no speed then why not give Breida the snaps.

Agree Breida is a very good acquisition. Wanted him out there lots.

I like the speed Breida brings to the offense. But it isn't like he is transforming the offense either. He isn't having that much more success than Moss or Singletary. This team needs to get Spencer Brown and Mongo back on the O-line in order to have success in the rushing game. Breida is a nice player to add to the mix but he isn't that great either.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I like the speed Breida brings to the offense. But it isn't like he is transforming the offense either. He isn't having that much more success than Moss or Singletary. This team needs to get Spencer Brown and Mongo back on the O-line in order to have success in the rushing game. Breida is a nice player to add to the mix but he isn't that great either.

He is averaging over 5 YPC and 11 yard per catch. 

He has more TD’s than Singletary and 2 TD’s less than Moss playing 3 games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

1) Singletary gets more snaps because this is still a passing offense and Singletary is much better at pass protection than Breida.

2) Breida's first three runs netted 20 yards. His last 5 carries in the first half netted 8 yds, including two runs for negative yards. He also had a short pass over the middle for 6 yards. I hardly think that qualifies as being "hot" in the 1st half.

Well the one rpo lost 6 yards because josh made a bad decision 

• Eyeroll 1

He adds a dimension the offense lacked.  Teams that have problems securing the edge will have big issues with Breida.  His speed will greatly add to the boot action behind the outside zone. He is making good on his opportunities.  His ability, added to the higher concentration on running helps the offense.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just don't buy this.  McD and Daboll have spent their lives in football and have been successful.  But they're too stupid to see that Breida might be better than a 3rd rounder?   That just doesn't make sense to me.  I mean seriously, what coach says, "I don't care if he's outperforming X.  We used a 3rd round draft pick on X and X needs to play."  3rd round picks just aren't that special.  

I think this is more likely:  Breida is not a powerful back.  He's a speed guy who needs space to work and the Bills offensive line so far hasn't been good at creating space.  McD and Daboll probably thought Moss and Singletary were more likely to get yards when dealing with a penetrated backfield and crowded line of scrimmage.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, flmike said:

and he drops at first contact usually. I did see one play where he shook off a tackler and was pretty amazed. It's a rare sight. 

He breaks a few more tackles than you think but it is still way too few. 

I'm fine with a 50 / 50 split with Brieda. 

As someone else said if Breida can't pass block then Singletary will get 70% of the snaps

11 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Brenda gives our offense an additional weapon, but at 2.9 yards per carry, let's not get carried away. That is still a pedestrian performance.

Opportunity cost.

There we’re several runs that Singletary had room but it closed quickly and I kept thinking  “Breida would have had several more yards there”.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I just don't buy this.  McD and Daboll have spent their lives in football and have been successful.  But they're too stupid to see that Breida might be better than a 3rd rounder?   That just doesn't make sense to me.  I mean seriously, what coach says, "I don't care if he's outperforming X.  We used a 3rd round draft pick on X and X needs to play."  3rd round picks just aren't that special.  

I think this is more likely:  Breida is not a powerful back.  He's a speed guy who needs space to work and the Bills offensive line so far hasn't been good at creating space.  McD and Daboll probably thought Moss and Singletary were more likely to get yards when dealing with a penetrated backfield and crowded line of scrimmage.  

Youre reasoning may be correct but you’d think by a month into the season they’d be saying “Ok, we thought wrong, time to try Breida”.

Yet it took until November.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

He adds a dimension the offense lacked.  Teams that have problems securing the edge will have big issues with Breida.  His speed will greatly add to the boot action behind the outside zone. He is making good on his opportunities.  His ability, added to the higher concentration on running helps the offense.  

Good observation Sir.  It is, indeed, the ultimate chess match out there.  We can now exploit a particular weakness of some teams that may have previously had the upper hand.

41 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There we’re several runs that Singletary had room but it closed quickly and I kept thinking  “Breida would have had several more yards there”.

There was the singletary 16yrd run where I think breida would have got tackled early, either way they both look to compliment each other I like breida on the edges while singletary gets more of the power runner and pass blocker role

Edited by motorj

12 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Transform may not be the best description. Perhaps, an added wrinkle? We ran our base offense the majority of the game. Regardless, it was nice to see a burst and a RB that get some YAC- Breida had a nice TD and overall a solid game.

Great point, he was just added to our regular offense, so think what might be possible if Daboll focused on what Brieda may do better or best and design plays , some blocking schemes t o enhance those abilities.  Reverses, counters, put him in the slot, etc.  we’ve seen the limits of moss, singletary, why not try focus on speed with Brieda, Stevenson. It’s something teams have no film on and it coukd jump start our crucial month of December.  Ypc wasn’t great but Brieda still had more explosive plays. This offense is stuck in last years schemes, defenses evolve and we need to be ahead rather than keep reacting! 

• Like (+1) 1

Breida is just more explosive, that’s why he’s getting in the end zone.

Singletary’s couple TDs a year ain’t putting fear in any defences eyes. 

This really is a good offense to get the best out of Breida because  he’s not asked to do too much. With all our weapons opportunities should be easy to come by. That goes for all positions.  I always thought teams never really gave two ***** about Devin or Moss, let them have their carries they were never really gonna burn them.  Breida is too fast and speed kills. Defences are now gonna have to take notice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.