Matt Breida transforms our offense.

FireChans

26 minutes ago, without a drought said:

9 carries for 26 yards, people may be getting a little ahead of themselves here.

He did a nice job getting to the end zone on the screen pass and his speed has been a missing element in their offense, but transforms the offense is a bit strong.

Completely agree with this-I like Breida and definitely think he adds a jolt to the team, but there’s  also a reason why he was inactive so often the first half of the season and why he has been on several teams over the past couple of years 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, without a drought said:

9 carries for 26 yards, people may be getting a little ahead of themselves here.

He did a nice job getting to the end zone on the screen pass and his speed has been a missing element in their offense, but transforms the offense is a bit strong.

Agreed.

He's speed is a great weapon.  Singletary and Moss are both tougher runs.  Different strengths for different situations and playcalls.  

What would transform this offense is an OL that could consistently protect Josh and open holes for Singletary, Moss, or Breida.   That would be scary beautiful.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I like his speed in this offense and he had some good plays. He also had some plays that were not so good. In the end (the same as Singletary) he averaged 2.9 YPC. 

As for "transforms our offense?" No, I don't think so...

If we had an offensive line that could consistently block well in the pass and run games, this offense would be unstoppable, whether it is Breida, Singletary, or Moss in the backfield.

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I like his speed in this offense and he had some good plays. He also had some plays that were not so good. In the end (the same as Singletary) he averaged 2.9 YPC. 

As for "transforms our offense?" No, I don't think so...

If we had an offensive line that could consistently block well in the pass and run games, this offense would be unstoppable, whether it is Breida, Singletary, or Moss in the backfield.

Look up Singletary ypc this year and every year.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Devin Singletary is by far our best RB. I don't know why we go away from him. Brieda is the perfect compliment. 

Until he ripped off that 16 yard run, I believe Singletary had 4 carries for 5 yards. There's just too many -1 to +2 yard carries between runs that he breaks for a big gain.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, why has it taken this dude 10 weeks to get on the field?

He’s an absolute weapon and a solid piece in passing and running. I saw several plays that Singletary got 4 on that Breida could have gotten 12 because of the difference in speed. Not to say Singletary had a bad game, he’s just limited.

Its time for 24 carries a game between the two of them for the rest of the year.

The fact it took 10 weeks is very sad and alarming at the same time.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know what his YPC has been for his career and each season. I am a fan of Singletary. My point was, (1) they both had 2.9 YPC last night and there wasn't anything Breida did that was "transformational" in how this offense operated, and (2) If the Oline could consistently block well, either one could flourish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Until he ripped off that 16 yard run, I believe Singletary had 4 carries for 5 yards. There's just too many -1 to +2 yard carries between runs that he breaks for a big gain.

4 carries? That's going to happen to any RB. 

Singletary is the best RB on this team. Brieda compliments well. We lack a true 3rd down RB. Moss is actually our best RB at blitz pick up and out of the backfield, so maybe that's a role he could have.

29 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Agreed.

He's speed is a great weapon.  Singletary and Moss are both tougher runs.  Different strengths for different situations and playcalls.  

What would transform this offense is an OL that could consistently protect Josh and open holes for Singletary, Moss, or Breida.   That would be scary beautiful.  

If Breida is transforming anything, it's how the Bills approach drafting a RB.

Take guys with high RAS (super athletic) in the later rounds.

4 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

I don't get it. The 49ers are 7th in rushing TDs. Bills are 9th.

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Brenda gives our offense an additional weapon, but at 2.9 yards per carry, let's not get carried away. That is still a pedestrian performance.

That was after we were trying to run out the clock. He was 4 for 19 on the first drive alone. 

and he was 14.5 yards per catch. Devin simply cannot get YAC.

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s a reason you don’t just judge a player by the box score. Singletary cannot execute outside runs because he has no burst. He can’t beat LBers to the edge.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That was after we were trying to run out the clock. He was 4 for 19 on the first drive alone. 

and he was 14.5 yards per catch. Devin simply cannot get YAC.

There’s a reason you don’t just judge a player by the box score. Singletary cannot execute outside runs because he has no burst. He can’t beat LBers to the edge.

Singletary is the best RB on the team. That's why him and Brieda compliment each other well.

In the offseason Singletary needs to be upgraded. I've been saying that for a while.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So, if you don't count the plays in which he didn't do well, then he was good?

He had 20 yards on his first 3 carries and then 4 yards on his next 4 carries, including two rushes for negative yardage - and all four of those rushes were in the first half, not when the were trying to run out the clock. As a matter of fact, after his first three rushes, he had 6 rushes the rest of the game for 7 yards. Three of those rushes were for negative yardage and not one of them was in a "run out the clock" situation.

I like Breida's speed and he had a couple of really nice plays. I hope they continue to find a role for him in the offense.

Edited by billsfan1959

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, why has it taken this dude 10 weeks to get on the field?

He’s an absolute weapon and a solid piece in passing and running. I saw several plays that Singletary got 4 on that Breida could have gotten 12 because of the difference in speed. Not to say Singletary had a bad game, he’s just limited.

Its time for 24 carries a game between the two of them for the rest of the year.

I think Breida on screen plays will really help slow the pass rush.  Unlike two other players Brieda is explosive once he gets to the second level.  Look forward to seeing him on screens/wheel routes and sweep running plays.  Once other teams start seeing big explosive chuck plays from RB position you will start seeing teams moving safeties & LB's movingh closer to the line and that is when we can start making exploisive receiver passing plays.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Brenda gives our offense an additional weapon, but at 2.9 yards per carry, let's not get carried away. That is still a pedestrian performance.

Yeah… I would not say that he transforms the offense but he does give the team an element of speed and quickness that they have been lacking.  Breida also seemed to do a better job of picking yards in space.   The Bills offensive line is still frightening at times though.   

I think they should work Stevenson in for a few snaps as well for the same reason.  

2 hours ago, without a drought said:

Every time Breida has been on the field for the past 3 weeks, the offense has moved the ball. I would say that is transforming the offense. Last week in particular our offense was stuck in a rut. We tried Breida for a drive in the 3rd quarter and suddenly we moved down the field. Then Moss came in and that drive stalled out. Even yesterday the drive to start the 3rd quarter we slammed Singletary into the middle of the o-line on two consecutive plays and only gained 3 yards total. Luckily Allen bailed them out on 3rd down but the difference when Breida on the field is clear.

The difference isn't just his production, it's that defenses actually have to account for him. The offense has had no explosive skill players. Breida finally gives us that element. As others have mentioned he also gives us yards after catch ability on screens and check downs.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, without a drought said:

Brieda gives the “potential” of a home run play. You won’t get that from Motor/Moss. Remember how the Bills contained King Henry, but the 2 long runs was the difference in him having a subpar game to a super game 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.