Potential for Spenser Brown move? (to LT?)

Toledo Bill

This is a wild thought, but maybe we keep our franchise Left Tackle at Left Tackle and keep our solid rookie Right Tackle at Right Tackle?

Dawkins is having a bad year, but he had a very bad case of covid and has absolute garbage at Guard next to him.

Do we really think he sucks all of a sudden? Like he went from being above average for several years to sucking so bad that we have to change his position?

Stop it.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am not convinced Brown won’t have the same lasting Covid effects as it appears Dawkins has.

Do we know if he even has any symptoms? I'm not seeing much talk about it. I think this would make a considerable difference when talking Dawkins versus Brown's return.🤔

3 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Dawkins seems to have regressed badly. Whether due to Covid or another reason he looks like he is really struggling and is causing big problems for Allen. 
I understand that left tackle takes a special akill set and is different than right tackle but could we do any worse with Brown at left tackle?

we don’t have many options at this point but Dawkins really seems to have become a liability.

Dawkins is likely still not recovered 100% from COVID and probably won't be for the rest of the year

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, quincy said:

Granderson appeared to have a very good game against Dawkins. The play where Dawkins grabbed the back of his jersey when totally beaten was embarrassing.

Dawkins was playing against a backup instead of Davenport. Can only assume that Dawkins would have fared even worse against him.

Having an out of form LT is troubling going forward.

What are the negatives in giving Brown a shot at LT?

Dawkins should be ashamed of himself.  He looked like Mark Eaton trying to guard Steph Curry 25 feet away from the basket.  

3 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Brown has all the talent but now we know the problems with the line. It has been on the left side all season, which is why Allen has not put up the numbers he did last year.  The game should have been over at half but IKE Boettger, play was abysmal.  If Allen must look over his left shoulder every passing play that is a recipe for disaster.  

Yep, he also cost us 7 points, took a TD away from to Allen-Knox as he was drifting too far past the line of scrimmage and was called for ineligible man downfield and the next play Allen throw a pick.  Without that Allen would have had 5 td passes and 1 int, instead 4 td and 2 ints.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I am not convinced Brown won’t have the same lasting Covid effects as it appears Dawkins has.

It’s certainly a fear.  As for the OP’s suggestion of moving Brown to LT, you can’t do that mid season.  There’s a leaning curve when flipping sides.  And I think Dawkins will be back to form next season.  Unfortunately this season he’s only going to be about 75% due to how badly Covid hit him.  

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

I get he was hospitalized but this seems much more like a convenient excuse than anything real.   He is a liability and lost the Tennessee game by himself. 

It's a better explanation that he just regressed for no reason.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

This is a wild thought, but maybe we keep our franchise Left Tackle at Left Tackle and keep our solid rookie Right Tackle at Right Tackle?

Dawkins is having a bad year, but he had a very bad case of covid and has absolute garbage at Guard next to him.

Do we really think he sucks all of a sudden? Like he went from being above average for several years to sucking so bad that we have to change his position?

Stop it.

Dawkins is not a franchise LT.  Not sure where anyone ever thought that.  The guy at his best was decent.  (Maybe a poor man's John Fina or Cordy Glenn when healthy) This year he is terrible.  We could not run to the left side last nite at all.  And his pass protection.... we all saw what happened w that.   If he isn't recovered from Covid he should have been placed on IR.  Do you really think Bates would have done any worse this year there?  The personnel use on this team is questionable at best.  At least Moss and McKenzie were benched.  Big revamp this offseason on the O line.  

But hey the defense at least brought the wood last nite-that was great to see..

• Agree 1

Let's re evaluate this next year and I'll save you the time the answer is no.  

The right side of our line, the pending back to full health Dawkins and the addition of 1-2 new guards is going to make this line one of the 10 best in the league.   

And btw, I thought Ford played his best game as a Bill last night.  It's not saying a ton but I thought he was decent.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have actually been sort of envisioning a bizarre scenario where eventually Dawkins gets bounced inside down the road and you just have 2 monster Guards in Dawkins and Williams. Then playing Brown at one of the tackles and a player to be named later as the opposite tackle. No idea why. I just keep thinking about it. Super physical and just hammering people

100% agree

I've been tough on Cody Ford lately but he wasn't the issue last night, he played pretty well from what I could tell.  Dawkins was bad last night, the weakest link on the line for sure....and his mistakes weren't related to LG play, he got burned and pushed around all night.  Hope he bounces back next week

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Maybe we should just stop changing our opinions on players on a week to week basis

This stat makes it sound like he's been stellar............but the kind of pressure the Bills OL is allowing is IMMEDIATE.    In reality all this stat tells you is that he's not been the guy letting players into the pocket untouched (except of course on a play like the holding penalty against Granderson last night........which technically I don't believe counts as a pressure either).    Somewhat deceiving stat, IMO.

Also........didn't they put Spencer Brown at LT for a play versus the Jets and put Dion Dawkins at LG?   Dawkins immediately committed a penalty as I recall.    Moving Brown to LT was floated as a rumor in the week leading up to the Jets game.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dawkins has struggled this year.  Not only was he beaten multiple times in pass pro, he almost caused a fumble in the run game as well.  

There was a handoff, I think in the 2nd, he allowed the DE to penetrate so quickly that Singletary was hit immediately as he got the handoff.  I was expecting a fumble and surprised he held on to it.

Dawkins deserves as much criticism as anyone on the line.

I think in the first half he allowed 2 sacks and would have been 3 if not for his holding penalty

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.