Potential for Spenser Brown move? (to LT?)

Toledo Bill

Dawkins seems to have regressed badly. Whether due to Covid or another reason he looks like he is really struggling and is causing big problems for Allen. 
I understand that left tackle takes a special akill set and is different than right tackle but could we do any worse with Brown at left tackle?

we don’t have many options at this point but Dawkins really seems to have become a liability.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 2

Granderson appeared to have a very good game against Dawkins. The play where Dawkins grabbed the back of his jersey when totally beaten was embarrassing.

Dawkins was playing against a backup instead of Davenport. Can only assume that Dawkins would have fared even worse against him.

Having an out of form LT is troubling going forward.

What are the negatives in giving Brown a shot at LT?

• Simon changed the title to Potential for Spenser Brown move? (to LT?)
2 minutes ago, quincy said:

Granderson appeared to have a very good game against Dawkins. The play where Dawkins grabbed the back of his jersey when totally beaten was embarrassing.

Dawkins was playing against a backup instead of Davenport. Can only assume that Dawkins would have fared even worse against him.

Brown has all the talent but now we know the problems with the line. It has been on the left side all season, which is why Allen has not put up the numbers he did last year.  The game should have been over at half but IKE Boettger, play was abysmal.  If Allen must look over his left shoulder every passing play that is a recipe for disaster.  

• Like (+1) 1

If Doyle develops to being a starter at one of the Tackle positions (with S Brown at the other), or the Bills get another starter in the off-season, I would expect they move Dawkins to left guard next season.

By the way, I was excited to see Bates at RG for a few plays, but unfortunately not long enough to make a true assessment--but he did well in his brief appearance before getting injured. And then Douglas came in before Ford returned, and both he and Bates did respectable.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CSBill said:

If Doyle develops to being a starter at one of the Tackle positions (with S Brown at the other), or the Bills get another starter in the off-season, I would expect they move Dawkins to left guard next season.

By the way, I was excited to see Bates at RG for a few plays, but unfortunately not long enough to make a true assessment--but he did well in his brief appearance before getting injured. And then Douglas came in before Ford returned, and both he and Bates did respectable.

I was excited to see Bates get out there, turns out you can’t keep a guy off the field forever because he’s “so valuable” and throw him in cold.  He was fine for what, 2 plays?

• Haha (+1) 1

I have actually been sort of envisioning a bizarre scenario where eventually Dawkins gets bounced inside down the road and you just have 2 monster Guards in Dawkins and Williams. Then playing Brown at one of the tackles and a player to be named later as the opposite tackle. No idea why. I just keep thinking about it. Super physical and just hammering people

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, quincy said:

Playing Brown improved the play overall of the line, but it was a low bar to start with.  Everything written that I've read said he played well for a brand new rookie, but wasn't great either.

It also could slow his overall development down switching positions.  I think that's one of the issues with Ford, rookie training camp played guard the entire time, then switch to tackle for the regular season, then back to guard year 2.

Do agree wit the comments that Dawkins hasn't recovered from Covid fully, not sure if it's strength or stamina.  If Stamina, would rather see them bring Doyle in for some plays to give him a rest.

Dawkins has struggled this year.  Not only was he beaten multiple times in pass pro, he almost caused a fumble in the run game as well.  

There was a handoff, I think in the 2nd, he allowed the DE to penetrate so quickly that Singletary was hit immediately as he got the handoff.  I was expecting a fumble and surprised he held on to it.

Dawkins deserves as much criticism as anyone on the line.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

Yea.. if we’re going by the Moss/McKenzie Doctrine, Dawkins shouldn’t even be active next week after that abysmal performance.

Obviously we aren’t going to do that, but hopefully getting Brown and Feliciano back lifts the entire OL and Dawkins figures out how to play LT again at some point this season. 

25 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have actually been sort of envisioning a bizarre scenario where eventually Dawkins gets bounced inside down the road and you just have 2 monster Guards in Dawkins and Williams. Then playing Brown at one of the tackles and a player to be named later as the opposite tackle. No idea why. I just keep thinking about it. Super physical and just hammering people

I'm thinking that Dawkins is not mobile / quick enough to play guard.  there would be little if any run game outside the tackles if that occurred. 

39 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No way the Bills will pay monster contracts for guards. Unless there is a long term issue with Dawkins, i see him and Brown as tackles, Morse at center and 2 new guards next season.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.