Knox’s Development

Andy1

I’m thrilled with the development we’ve seen from Knox this season. Today he became the TE with the most franchise TDs in a single season. I know a lot of fans have doubted his ability to develop in previous years. Several experts preached patience with him and it appears they were right. He has two TDs tonight and it should have been three. He is obviously a weapon that Josh has a lot of confidence in. When he catches the ball on the edges, he becomes a real problem for dbs to tackle. He is the most dynamic TE I think I’ve ever seen on the Bills. Looking forward to seeing him for many seasons to come.

• Like (+1) 25
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

After Allen he's my favorite player on this team.  

He's going to be a Ertz/Kelce like feature.  And yes his ceiling is Kelce.  He should be seeing 8 plus targets a game right now.  Ok maybe not just yet but by next season absolutely.  Actually yes I think he can right now.  

Over a full 16 game pace this year he is right around 1000 yards on 60 plus catches. 

And 14 Touchdowns.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

Awesome job knoxie, really helps our red zone offense in a big way. They mentioned how swelled his hand was today post-game. Really really praying it stays healthy! We need him as much as anyone.

Yeah was worried about development there for a bit.  He's been huge this year.  Love it when he makes something out of nothing too with his run ability. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

After Allen he's my favorite player on this team.  

He's going to be a Ertz/Kelce like feature.  And yes his ceiling is Kelce.  He should be seeing 8 plus targets a game right now.  Ok maybe not just yet but by next season absolutely.  Actually yes I think he can right now.  

Over a full 16 game pace this year he is right around 1000 yards on 60 plus catches. 

And 14 Touchdowns.  

Knox is just a different guy than Kelce.  Kelce is the Chiefs' version of Beasley, the guy who gets open to convert third downs into firsts.  Kelce also is a threat downfield but a lot of his catches are the shorter variety where he gets open through superior knowledge and quickness rather than the speed and downfield threat that Knox has.  I'm not criticizing either guy.  Kelce is the best TE in football.  What Knox brings is a different set of tools.  I don't think Knox will have Kelce-like numbers as long as we have Beasley getting all the quick shots, and I think Beasley is the best man on the team for those short routes.  

• Like (+1) 1

A big reason Knox is so much better this year is the offseason work he put in.  (Any similarity to Josh Allen in this regard is purely intentional.)  He worked with Kelce and other top TEs to improve his route recognition and running, and apparently did some kind of training routines to work on his hands.  He still drops the occasional pass but no more than any receiver does.  

There's been a lot of Beane criticism lately for making a lot of moves but not making much improvement on the O line.  And if Tre White is out for a while, the dropoff in CB talent is going to be another area of criticism.  But for doggedly sticking with Knox while Knox figured things out, McBeane deserve a lot of credit.  Other teams have spent high draft picks on TEs, and some TE FAs have been getting paid a lot, but McBeane played the cards they had and it's turned out well.  

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Knox, Ed Oliver, and Edwards all were huge last night, and will be cornerstones for our Bills the next decade

And all three have come close to being called busts by Bills fans.  It looks likely that sometimes it just takes a couple of years for a young player to figure out the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

And all three have come close to being called busts by Bills fans.  It looks likely that sometimes it just takes a couple of years for a young player to figure out the game.

haters gotta hate.  To them I say:  patience grasshopper

Just now, Pete said:

haters gotta hate.  To them I say:  patience grasshopper

Quite right.  The problem during the drought was we always needed our draft picks to produce at a high level right away, because the core of the team was usually not good.  We didn't have time to watch them develop.  The McBeane miracle has been we now have that core of the team playing very well, so if guys like Edmunds and Knox and Oliver weren't all that impressive to start, we could still win while they figured it all out.

6 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Knox just finds wide open spots on the field where no one is around him.  I am guessing defenses are just playing cover two and telling somebody besides Diggs beat us.

Thats basically what Kelce does, as teams are so weary of Hill.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.