Ineligible man downfield

UConn James

7 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

If linemen could go downfield on passing plays they could literaly destroys DBs after WR catches the ball.

Moreover linemen moving forward or backward is the primary run/pass key for defense, defense is very tough nowadays in NFL, no need to give further advantage to offense.

If linemen went downfield, who'd be protecting the QB.  There's pros and cons involved.  The game would change if the rule was revoked but only a bit.

I wonder when this  rule was first implemented and what problem it was supposed  to solve.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The refs don't seem to consider the spirit of the rules anymore.

Overall, I was happy with that crew though. They mostly let the players play and it was a smooth game. I wouldn't have minded an extra roughing the passer call for Allen....

loved this crew. Made the game totally watchable. I even liked them not calling the roughing calls. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

1 yard down field...

https://www.rookieroad.com/football/penalties/ineligible-downfield-pass/

Looks like it was a double play called...

A screen to the left or the play to Knox at the bottom.

I was at the game live and it felt like a broken play. Or the play was covered so Josh scrambled right and threw it. Amazing play. I took my eyes away from the left side when I watched him scramble right so I haven’t been able to see who was downfield. They wouldn’t show hardly any replays on the Jumbotron in the stadium. It was definitely a “wow” play that I was excited to see live. Had that play stood then the second Josh INT would have never happened. I’m anxious to rewatch the game I recorded when I get home. 

11 hours ago, UConn James said:

Asked this in the GDT, but the fast-moving nature of that thread isn’t for something like this:

Am I the only one who doesn’t get what the point of the ineligible man downfield penalty is? 

I mean… I understand what the engineering of it is — no lineman past the los on a pass play unless engaged — but I just don’t understand why it’s such a problem deserving of a penalty. What is its advantage?

Boettger was one yard past the line of scrimmage on the called-back TD to Knox, on the opposite side of the field.

Because teams would have free offensive linemen running full speed downfield and laying out DBs and LBs as soon as passes got completed.  You could run shallow crosses and have OL plaster defenders coming across as soon as the ball was caught.  It would be crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Because teams would have free offensive linemen running full speed downfield and laying out DBs and LBs as soon as passes got completed.  You could run shallow crosses and have OL plaster defenders coming across as soon as the ball was caught.  It would be crazy. 

How is this a bad thing?

1 hour ago, Fred Slacks said:

I was at the game live and it felt like a broken play. Or the play was covered so Josh scrambled right and threw it. Amazing play. I took my eyes away from the left side when I watched him scramble right so I haven’t been able to see who was downfield. They wouldn’t show hardly any replays on the Jumbotron in the stadium. It was definitely a “wow” play that I was excited to see live. Had that play stood then the second Josh INT would have never happened. I’m anxious to rewatch the game I recorded when I get home. 

Looked like 3 of the OL were downfield

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, UConn James said:

Asked this in the GDT, but the fast-moving nature of that thread isn’t for something like this:

Am I the only one who doesn’t get what the point of the ineligible man downfield penalty is? 

I mean… I understand what the engineering of it is — no lineman past the los on a pass play unless engaged — but I just don’t understand why it’s such a problem deserving of a penalty. What is its advantage?

Boettger was one yard past the line of scrimmage on the called-back TD to Knox, on the opposite side of the field.

This play is another that could be called 5-6 times a game if held to the bogus written law.

I get agregious violations where an OL is 5 yards down field cracking skulls but the call on Boettger was a bad call. He was not even play side and had no effect on the play.

I think refs are generally good with this call and don't usually call minor in infractions.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Disagree 1

13 hours ago, UConn James said:

No he was almost in the end zone, well past 5 yards beyond the LOS.

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The ineligible man downfield can't be beyond the line of scrimmage at the time the ball is thrown, without blocking an opponent at the time of the pass.  

That's the infraction.

Yes and NO…

in general for pass plays the lineman needs to be within the 1 yr boundary unless he is still engaged with a pass rusher.

If it’s a design screen play linemen are allowed to go down field and exceed the 1 yr before the ball is thrown.  If the ball is thrown to an area where the downfield lineman are not  then a penalty is called.

This also can happen on a Allen rollout run/ pass option play.  The lineman gets too far downfield thinking he’s running but then passes and penalty gets called.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

They only called Boettger for being downfield but it looked to me like Morse and Ford were right there with him. That sometimes happens when the play call doesn't work as planned and the QB has to scramble around looking for another option.

23 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No he was almost in the end zone, well past 5 yards beyond the LOS.

The play was inside the 5, iirc. I’d love to see the replay again but yes, as I recall they had the blue and yellow LOS and first down lines superimposed. Morse and Dawkins were just a bit behind Ike, and Ike was just past the LOS. Like a yard. And it’s not like he was doibb no g anything. They were all just ambling around looking over at the other side of field where the play was happening for the last five seconds. They were totally out of the play.

It may have been the letter of the rule but it definitely wasn’t the spirit of the rule.

IMO, the refs didn’t like the degree of brokenness of the play and just decided to throw a flag. It is after all the No Fun League.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, UConn James said:

The play was inside the 5, iirc. I’d love to see the replay again but yes, as I recall they had the blue and yellow LOS and first down lines superimposed. Morse and Dawkins were just a bit behind Ike, and Ike was just past the LOS. Like a yard. And it’s not like he was doibb no g anything. They were all just ambling around looking over at the other side of field where the play was happening for the last five seconds. They were totally out of the play.

It may have been the letter of the rule but it definitely wasn’t the spirit of the rule.

IMO, the refs didn’t like the degree of brokenness of the play and just decided to throw a flag. It is after all the No Fun League.

No the play started at the 7.

Allen looked like the play was designed to go to the left, he pulled the ball back wheeled around  ran to the right and found Knox.  I dont think it was really Ike fault.

That play looked like a screen fake misdirection type of play. Man got caught to far up field. The only thing I didn't like about the call is that the play went to the other side of the field. But still rules are rules. No Dan Campbell calling back to back time outs woof....

11 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

If linemen could go downfield on passing plays they could literaly destroys DBs after WR catches the ball.

Moreover linemen moving forward or backward is the primary run/pass key for defense, defense is very tough nowadays in NFL, no need to give further advantage to offense.

This

When you play defense, if the OL is pushing and going downfield, you KNOW it's a running play. As defensive players, it's part of your read. And as mentioned, the OL blocking DBs downfield would be, hum, dangerous for the DBs' health ha ha. 

On the penalty called on the Bills, I can understand the guys downfield, they had no one in front of them! But it was the right call regardless.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.