Tre White knee injury UPDATE: Out for the Season Notification top of page 1

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree on Johnson and I advocated for extending him before that happened.  My point on Klein was that he’s expensive but not very good depth.  He also limits our ability to put a 3rd LB on the field when teams are loading up an running the ball.  I have covered some of the possible depth additions in the past.  I’m. It going to do that again.  Do your own homework.  Just look at free agency signings this past off-season and you can see that good depth was not that expensive. 

Klein has mostly played very well since they figured out how to use his skills better, not sure what you are talking about

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I agree on Johnson and I advocated for extending him before that happened.  My point on Klein was that he’s expensive but not very good depth.  He also limits our ability to put a 3rd LB on the field when teams are loading up an running the ball.  I have covered some of the possible depth additions in the past.  I’m. It going to do that again.  Do your own homework.  Just look at free agency signings this past off-season and you can see that good depth was not that expensive. 

And yet we don't know if any of those depth options are better than Dane Jackson. They are cheap options for a reason. Bills heavily invested in the D-line rotation the last two years because, well the rotation sucked and we desperately needed a better pass rush. The super bowl was a glaring example of what a good pass rush can do for a team. The investment went to the d-line and I think pretty much everyone should agree with that decision. Whether the d-line is producing at the level we need is another story. 

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

The Bills have been playing with fire for years with no CB depth.  They have been incredibly lucky, but yet again, this is all on Beane.

False. The Bills secondary is as or more deep than most of the teams in the league. Almost all teams are in trouble when they get to their 3rd corner having to start. Look at the rosters around the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Fuller has played terribly the last year.  You stop to think that maybe our backups are better?

It will suck if Tre has an ACL.  Odds are they’ll scour some rosters to bring in another CB.  But the two backups will play more now.  Welcome to the NFL.

No, I don’t stop to think that. I think that the Bills continued to play Vernon Butler. I think that they continue to play Cody Ford. I think that they sat/inactivated Brieda for weeks because of Moss/Motor. Fuller was top 100 player in league 2 years ago. There’s no way to conclude that Jackson/Lewis is better. Fuller’s experience alone gives him the nod. Did Beane attempt to acquire him, I don’t know but if not it was a failure on his part imo

We just need to pray for the health of Poyer and Hyde. You can cover up a bad haircut with a good hat. Just an analogy we will have to wait and see how Taron Johnson, Cam Lewis, Dane Jackson and Siran Neal play. Do we really think they are going out of house for help? I'd like it but its not a promised  thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

False. The Bills secondary is as or more deep than most of the teams in the league. Almost all teams are in trouble when they get to their 3rd corner having to start. Look at the rosters around the league.

Exactly. Some folks just want more warm bodies on the sideline I guess. I don't get how that helps the Bills. Bills only play three CB's a game for the most part and all three are above average for their positions #1, #2 and nickle corner. Can't ask for much better than that while still needing to field a 53 man roster. Injuries happen in the NFL and now it is time for us to deal with one. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

No, I don’t stop to think that. I think that the Bills continued to play Vernon Butler. I think that they continue to play Cody Ford. I think that they sat/inactivated Brieda for weeks because of Moss/Motor. Fuller was top 100 player in league 2 years ago. There’s no way to conclude that Jackson/Lewis is better. Fuller’s experience alone gives him the nod. Did Beane attempt to acquire him, I don’t know but if not it was a failure on his part imo

Well aren’t you the smart one.

• Like (+1) 1

We've been really lucky w/ injuries over the past 2 seasons.

Still hoping that this isn't worst case scenario - but if it is, this is still an excellent secondary & defense, and I'm sure they'll find someone capable to add to the roster.  

Remember when everyone counted the Ravens out after their early-season injuries?  Good teams figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Exactly. Some folks just want more warm bodies on the sideline I guess. I don't get how that helps the Bills. Bills only play three CB's a game for the most part and all three are above average for their positions #1, #2 and nickle corner. Can't ask for much better than that while still needing to field a 53 man roster. Injuries happen in the NFL and now it is time for us to deal with one. 

Like I posted before the season started you do that by not wasting roster spots on special teams only players.  Any backup CBcan do what Taiwan Jones can do. Kumerow has done nothing all year. Those are two spots that could have been used for a DB.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Except they have been playing a lot more man the past 2 years...

Not having White doesn't change the basic objective of the defense,   which is to encourage the offense to take small gains and hope they can't execute.

And they can still run man........Jackson can cover.........but from what we've seen there will be chances for teams to create some bigger plays in the pass game.   They most likely won't be as efficient with regard to not giving up chunk plays in the pass game but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be scorched now.

And perhaps not having White back there lights a fire under this pass rush.    Sometimes losing a star player can help a unit find another level of effort and focus.   That really has been the biggest issue with the team this year........being focused on the task at hand.  

And also..........the real weakness of the defense has been their want-to and technique in run defense.   With White out.........maybe teams will be more inclined to try to throw the ball a bit more.   I still prefer the Bills chances defending the pass.......so more throws is better, IMO.

But ultimately it's on the offense to stop being so erratic.   Allen is a huge game-changing weapon who can keep 2-3 otherwise stalled drives alive with his athleticism every game..........so if they are executing they should be nearly unstoppable.

That's clearly been the most discouraging part of the season to this point.......they get stopped by their own often-inexplicable mistakes far more than they get well-defensed.  They need to be focused and start being better than the sum of their parts.    That's what championship teams do down the stretch.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Can totally see us playing more 4-3 depending on the team.  Especially against pats. 

I am very interested to see how NE attacks our defense now.  Do they line up heavy and run the ball?  Do they go light with a bunch of WRs and line up 3,4&5 wide to stress our secondary?  I’d think the former is more likely, but IDK.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I am very interested to see how NE attacks our defense now.  Do they line up heavy and run the ball?  Do they go light with a bunch of WRs and line up 3,4&5 wide to stress our secondary?  I’d think the former is more likely, but IDK.

We're a bit fortunate in the next opponent.  The Pats are built to be run heavy regardless, and while their passing game is efficient, their WR corps hardly strikes fear in anyone.  It's more about covering the TE's w/ them, and stopping the run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.