Our oven died right in the middle of cooking the turkey

Draconator

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that’s classic— sounds like my house, where we have a million people crammed in together, plugging in every random thing in the run-up to the big meal. 

It could be worse. Our best friends in Hilton Head moved from a small place outside NYC. They had a few couples in for an early afternoon Thanksgiving, and they all got food poisoning while watching the late game…..in their one bathroom house.   :sick: 🤮 😰😱

Edited by Augie
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

It could be worse. Our best friends in Hilton Head moved from a small place outside NYC. They had a few couples in for an early afternoon Thanksgiving, and they all food poisoning while watching the late game…..in their one bathroom house.   :sick: 🤮 😰😱

the only time I have ever had to use the vomit emoji! 

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the only time I have ever had to use the vomit emoji! 

That emoji is adequate, for one end of the equation. To hear the story from the two of them will make you wish you were wearing Depends, as well!  😂

I’m sure they ALL would have given heart felt thanks for another toilet or two! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

Went to sister's. Just me, Brother, sister and her husband , her son and granddaughter.  Lost mom this fall and B-I-L mother had brother couldn't make it because  none of us  have backs well enough to pick up them and wheelchairs up the stairs. Also, niece is in Germany. We did have deep fried turkey and  turkey breast in the oven. Congratulated nephew for not burning down the house.😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, Draconator said:

We did. Nothing was tripped. However, a breaker on a wall plugged was popped. We reset that, and the oven started working again. So the plug that the oven is plugged into is connected to that wall plug. All is working. Just a Delay of Game on turkey. 

That closed a couple of months ago. 

You may need the GFI, in the wall, replaced.  If it acts up like that, it could overheat and cause a fire.  Had to replace one in our kitchen, about a year ago, similar problems.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

You may need the GFI, in the wall, replaced.  If it acts up like that, it could overheat and cause a fire.  Had to replace one in our kitchen, about a year ago, similar problems.

My father in law is a retired electrical engineer, and in retirement runs wire and installs electrical panels for Habitat For Humanity homes. He said the same thing, and offered to swap them up in a flash. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Just sold our house and inspection turned up that only the outlet by sink was GFCI. Inspection required all kitchen outlets to be GFCI. I didn’t think that was the case, and I might be wrong, but with a full price cash offer with no financing or appraisal contingencies, we have a BUNCH of new GFCI outlets!  :)

On 11/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, Draconator said:

We did. Nothing was tripped. However, a breaker on a wall plugged was popped. We reset that, and the oven started working again. So the plug that the oven is plugged into is connected to that wall plug. All is working. Just a Delay of Game on turkey. 

During our home inspection, the inspector tested one of the GFI outlets in the kitchen, and it would not reset.  He mentioned he thought he heard two pop when he was testing.  Started looking and we found a second outlet behind the stove.  One of these days I'll get that removed and just put a blank plate over the box.  Seemed like a really strange place to have an outlet.  Only way to access it, is to pull the stove away from the wall.  

On 11/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, Muppy said:

hubby is using the backyard smoker for our bird (turkey whole 15 pounder) . Daughter in law is pescatarian so she gets smoked salmon...poor girl nuthin LOL

Smoked mine too. Was amazing. Share this w hubby if he wants to try something different next time.

https://destination-bbq.com/rodney-scotts-smoked-turkey-recipe/

• Awesome! (+1) 3

On 11/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, Muppy said:

hubby is using the backyard smoker for our bird (turkey whole 15 pounder) . Daughter in law is pescatarian so she gets smoked salmon...poor girl nuthin LOL

2 hours ago, Beerball said:

Smoked mine too. Was amazing. Share this w hubby if he wants to try something different next time.

https://destination-bbq.com/rodney-scotts-smoked-turkey-recipe/

Did you all use a regular smoker, or an egg (or something else)? 

i really want to try this, but I have a Kamado joe Junior— and so am

Not sure I have enough space to smoke a Turkey, even if spatchcocked. 

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

mr miyagi we have a traeger sp* smoker that uses pellets and it is quite large Id need to measure but meh I cant even guess. Our backyard is all prepped and nearly ready for a wedding celebration at 3 pacific TODAY we are buttoned UP I dont even knoww where the smoker is at this moment LOL sorry man. Mr muppy is the Man when it comes to smokers etc. I'll ask and get back to you what he thinks.

m

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have a pellet smoker. I started smoking using a Weber grill. Then moved up to an electric smoker and now the pellet. I suppose it’s cheating, but I love the plug & play aspect of this one.

I put a whole brisket on at around 12:30am this past summer and went to bed. The next morning I wrapped it at the prescribed temp and when it was done I rested it in a cooler for 3-4 hours till dinner time. Best brisket I’ve ever done.

Looks like the joe jr only has one level? If two you could totally separate the bird and have the sides on different levels. If not start w a chicken and try this recipe. Just decrease the amount of rub and mop sauce accordingly. (Or look at Black Friday deals on smokers)

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Beerball said:

I have a pellet smoker. I started smoking using a Weber grill. Then moved up to an electric smoker and now the pellet. I suppose it’s cheating, but I love the plug & play aspect of this one.

I put a whole brisket on at around 12:30am this past summer and went to bed. The next morning I wrapped it at the prescribed temp and when it was done I rested it in a cooler for 3-4 hours till dinner time. Best brisket I’ve ever done.

Looks like the joe jr only has one level? If two you could totally separate the bird and have the sides on different levels. If not start w a chicken and try this recipe. Just decrease the amount of rub and mop sauce accordingly. (Or look at Black Friday deals on smokers)

Thanks! I like the idea of trying with a chicken As a test.

We have the joe Junior at our lake cottage. So I may invest in a bigger smoker at our regular house. 

• Like (+1) 1

Been using a Butterball turkey roaster the past several Thanksgivings.  The meat comes out incredibly moist after brining and the dripping are incredible.  No oil to cleanup, cooks the turkey in about 3 hours and you can put wood chips in a tray to add flavor.  Only downside is it can only fit up to an 18# turkey.

19 hours ago, Just Jack said:

During our home inspection, the inspector tested one of the GFI outlets in the kitchen, and it would not reset.  He mentioned he thought he heard two pop when he was testing.  Started looking and we found a second outlet behind the stove.  One of these days I'll get that removed and just put a blank plate over the box.  Seemed like a really strange place to have an outlet.  Only way to access it, is to pull the stove away from the wall.  

I thought there was one behind the stove. We do have 2, but they're on either side of the sink. The one closest to the oven is the one that tripped. 

On 11/27/2021 at 7:04 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

mr miyagisan I finally asked mr mup re: his electrical smoker MY BAD the canvas cover says Trager the grill itself is louisiana grill electric pellet smoker. We Love it. He uses lots of pellet combinations ...this years was a mesquite and apple pellets combo, he brines the  turkey 18 hours to not only marinate but thaw bird. He also smoked salmon fillet with salt,  brown sugar and vodka. It sounds weird but it works. delicioso.

m

Edited by Muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, Beerball said:

I don't know why, but I'm about to be nice to you.

You don't give yourself enough credit, re: your "cheating" comment.  There's a hell of a lot more to it than just setting it and forgetting it, including flavor profiles, timing, pre/post smoking practices/methods, etc.

I've had the pleasure of tasting smoked meats that you've done in various types of smokers and everything has been nothing short of fantastic.

Goddamn, that kind of hurt.

Your nose is crooked!!!!

Okay .. better, now.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/27/2021 at 8:43 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Thanks! I like the idea of trying with a chicken As a test.

We have the joe Junior at our lake cottage. So I may invest in a bigger smoker at our regular house. 

smoked chicken is the shiznic .Delicioso tambien!

Just as a brief synopsis wedding celebration was a party for the ages. Son, unbeknownst to me or anyone besides his wifey, arranged for a 6 piece mariachi band to add to the celebration Highly skilled musicians played for an hour it was magnifico~!~!~!~ catered mexican, rum cocktail and lime agave syrup and tequila margaritas in gallon mason jar spicket jugs...sorry for blabbing it was LE CRONIQUE!~!~!~!!!!!!! salud 2bd buenas dias :-)))))

m

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't know why, but I'm about to be nice to you.

You don't give yourself enough credit, re: your "cheating" comment.  There's a hell of a lot more to it than just setting it and forgetting it, including flavor profiles, timing, pre/post smoking practices/methods, etc.

I've had the pleasure of tasting smoked meats that you've done in various types of smokers and everything has been nothing short of fantastic.

Goddamn, that kind of hurt.

Your nose is crooked!!!!

Okay .. better, now.

if you ever need any tips mr mup takes his smoker VERY seriously matey he will give you great tips if needed just fyi. Peace man GO BILLS

m

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Muppy said:

if you ever need any tips mr mup takes his smoker VERY seriously matey he will give you great tips if needed just fyi. Peace man GO BILLS

m

Much appreciated, thank you!  I have a close network of friends which includes @Beerball, @CountryCletus and @BringBackFergy ... all of whom are proven meat smoking experts (no, that wasn't a euphemism).  TBD has a lot of culinarily talented people!!

In fact, of the four of us, I was the only one who baked a turkey in the oven for Thanksgiving; those guys each spatchcocked and smoked their turkeys and the pictures would make any meat lover drool!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.