The difference in the Bills Offense with Cody Ford and Spencer Brown as starters

JohnNord

I’m of the belief that if the Bills can pass protect for Josh, he’ll move the ball and score points.  If you can run the ball a little

ore effectively, even better.  Looking at the Bills 4 losses this season, it’s very clear where the issues are:

Week 1:

Pittsburgh 16, Buffalo 9

Offensive Line:

Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Ford, Williams 

Week 7:

Tennessee 34, Buffalo 31

Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Williams, Brown

Week 10:

Jacksonville 9, Buffalo 6

Dawkins, Boettger, Morse, Ford, Williams

Week 12:

Indianapolis 41, Buffalo 15

Its very clear that the weak here is Cody Ford.  As much as we haven’t been impressed with John Feliciano, his presence is also an improvement over Ike Boettger as well.  But Ford is the lynchpin here.   

Inserting Ford in the lineup, not only weakens the RG spot but also RT where Darryl Williams has been significantly less effective for some reason in 2021.  

It’s not a surprise that the least effective offensive performances this season were with Ford in the lineup and they’ve come recently.  

Spencer Brown completely changes things.  He’s competent enough to provide an improvement over Williams (whose decline at RT is a story for another time) and moving to the inside, Williams is a huge improvement over Ford.  The Bills are 3-1 with Brown starting and have averaged 35 points game.

With Ford as starter, the Bills are 3-3 and averaging 25 points per game - a number greatly assisted by some lopsided wins early in the season.  Over the past two starts, It’s down to 12 points.  By comparison, the Bills are 2-1 and averaged 34 points in Brown’s last 3 starts.  

That’s not to say the line is perfect with Feliciano and Brown as starters.  Each member of the line has had their struggles this season.  But they are average and usually good enough for the Bills to put up 30+ points a game.  

But with Ford in the lineup, the line becomes below average and it’s been nearly impossible for the offense to put up any points.   Josh has also turned the ball over more frequently behind this line, which I think can be derived from his lack of confidence in a weak offensive line.  

This tells me that the Bills are in for a low scoring struggle tomorrow against New Orleans and that the game could very well be closer than we would anticipate given the major injuries to New Orleans.  

And I think if you are going to criticize Beane and McDermott, their evaluation of what the Bills have on the offensive line is a good place to start.  The faith they put into Ford and Williams has come back to bite them.

Lets hope for a W tomorrow and a healthy roster Monday night against NE.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it's just a coincidence. We'll likely find out vs NE and Tampa. The obvious game that stands out is Jacksonville. They got beat up upfront. But I'm still skeptical that Brown makes that big of a difference. 

Numbers prove otherwise obviously but we're talking a huge difference. He's not dominant either. He's good, but not dominant. 

It's baffling that a rookie who was seen as a project is somehow leagues better than a veteran who played great last year and was signed for $10 Million per year.

Williams' regression is a big reason why the offense has been so inconsistent. 

According to The Athletic, with an assist from TruMedia, these were the rankings for the Bills’ OL a week ago before the Colts game: 19th in the league. Brown and Williams give up the same pressure percentage, but Williams has given up sacks, whereas Brown hasn’t been credited with one (although I thought he gave up one in the Jets game…?)

794E2CC2-F2FB-4B28-A735-B73E35026A20.jpeg

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

According to The Athletic, with an assist from TruMedia, these were the rankings for the Bills’ OL a week ago before the Colts game: 19th in the league. Brown and Williams give up the same pressure percentage, but Williams has given up sacks, whereas Brown hasn’t been credited with one (although I thought he gave up one in the Jets game…?)

So Ryan Bates is our best linemen?

Those guys make the team better.  At the end of the day, the Bills have been quite healthy for years compared to the rest of the league.   But every single NFL team deals with people being out...the guys you mention are good players, they are not all pros, at the end of the day they don't have as much affect on wins and losses as people are saying in my opinion.  There are thousands of variables that go into NFL games.....strategy on offense, defense and special teams and with each individual player, /gameplanning/weather/lucky bounces/penalties.  I believe this team is capable of winning with and without Star and Spencer, the fact they have not as much is more random events and one of the thousands of variables but not the one thing that flips games from blowout wins to blowout losses. 

This team has lost it's mojo, they are getting beat, taking bad penalties, fumbling, making bad decisions, developing bad gameplans at times.  

The Bills lead the league in penalties and a lot of them are holding/hands tot he face/Offside/false starts, they probably need to fix that.  Most of the offensive holding have been legit plays that affected the play...common theme, the OL in question got beat so they tackle the DL.   They need to perform better up front across the board, this is not a one player problem.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m of the belief that if the Bills can pass protect for Josh, he’ll move the ball and score points.  If you can run the ball a little

ore effectively, even better.  Looking at the Bills 4 losses this season, it’s very clear where the issues are:

Week 1:

Pittsburgh 16, Buffalo 9

Offensive Line:

Week 7:

Tennessee 34, Buffalo 31

Week 10:

Week 12:

Its very clear that the weak here is Cody Ford.  As much as we haven’t been impressed with John Feliciano, his presence is also an improvement over Ike Boettger as well.  But Ford is the lynchpin here.   

Inserting Ford in the lineup, not only weakens the RG spot but also RT where Darryl Williams has been significantly less effective for some reason in 2021.  

It’s not a surprise that the least effective offensive performances this season were with Ford in the lineup and they’ve come recently.  

Spencer Brown completely changes things.  He’s competent enough to provide an improvement over Williams (whose decline at RT is a story for another time) and moving to the inside, Williams is a huge improvement over Ford.  The Bills are 3-1 with Brown starting and have averaged 35 points game.

With Ford as starter, the Bills are 3-3 and averaging 25 points per game - a number greatly assisted by some lopsided wins early in the season.  Over the past two starts, It’s down to 12 points.  By comparison, the Bills are 2-1 and averaged 34 points in Brown’s last 3 starts.  

That’s not to say the line is perfect with Feliciano and Brown as starters.  Each member of the line has had their struggles this season.  But they are average and usually good enough for the Bills to put up 30+ points a game.  

But with Ford in the lineup, the line becomes below average and it’s been nearly impossible for the offense to put up any points.   Josh has also turned the ball over more frequently behind this line, which I think can be derived from his lack of confidence in a weak offensive line.  

This tells me that the Bills are in for a low scoring struggle tomorrow against New Orleans and that the game could very well be closer than we would anticipate given the major injuries to New Orleans.  

And I think if you are going to criticize Beane and McDermott, their evaluation of what the Bills have on the offensive line is a good place to start.  The faith they put into Ford and Williams has come back to bite them.

The weak link may just as much be Daryl Williams at RT. He has been playing terribly there. I worry that this is a case of him getting paid his last big paycheck.

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Brown getting beat forced the INT vs Tennesee.

Edited by dave mcbride

Week 1:

Pittsburgh 16, Buffalo 9

Offensive Line:

Week 7:

Tennessee 34, Buffalo 31

Week 10:

Week 12:

Yeah but is it Ford or the guy teaching him?  Ford has all the talent and a Ford, Brown would be the mulling right side we need.  Ford struggles in pass protection but is an excellent pulling and run blocking guard.

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The weak link may just as much be Daryl Williams at RT. He has been playing terribly there. I worry that this is a case of him getting paid his last big paycheck.

Brown getting beat forced the INT vs Tennesee.

The problem I see with Daryl Williams,  teams are just  speed rushing against him and not bull rushing because Williams is one of those lineman if he gets his hands on you it is over.

Edited by Marvlevydraftdaygenius

Week 1:

Pittsburgh 16, Buffalo 9

Offensive Line:

Week 7:

Tennessee 34, Buffalo 31

Week 10:

Week 12:

Is this a suggestion that Ford is the cause of a gutless lose to the Colts.

The last I noticed is he doesn't play Dline or RB. 

While Ford is not even average, Spencer is hardly average himself.

Neither player should be playing for a SB team, just like many others on this team recently.

When you lose 23-21 the Ford vs Brown could be important, but not when you lose by 26

28 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Yeah but is it Ford or the guy teaching him?  Ford has all the talent and a Ford, Brown would be the mulling right side we need.  Ford struggles in pass protection but is an excellent pulling and run blocking guard.

The problem I see with Daryl Williams,  teams are just  speed rushing against him and not bull rushing because Williams is one of those lineman if he gets his hands on you it is over.

Ford is very slow-footed when he needs to shift quickly. Speed/quickness cannot be coached; he just doesn’t have it. 

• Agree 1