Report from the French Quarter

Clark Rotary

57 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I tend to not soak in the culture and food when there are bullets whizzing past my head, and there are numerous muggings every night.

F17-A96-F1-67-D1-4525-9-FA2-40-DC279-D6-

Well, no hyperbole in that statement 🤷‍♂️

Like most cities (Buffalo included), you need to know where you are and more importantly, where you shouldn't be and you'll likely be ok.  

The only time I was real nervous in NO was when I was in a club, literally, w the Young Money crew and some guys they didn't like came in, I pretty quickly had the thought "This is where the naive guy from Vermont gets shot...".  🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The guy from New Orleans in this video has AN AWESOME SET OF PIPES! 

He missed his calling...should be in broadcasting or doing tv commercial voiceovers.

Wow!

B2P3PPHNIFHOHLMWM7ZJYHUMYE.jpeg

619ec21b5aafa.image.jpg?crop=1600,840,0,

619ec22ede9e9.image.jpg?resize=1200,741

619ec25a4ace5.image.jpg?resize=1200,750

619ec257cac25.image.jpg?crop=1600,840,0,

I like Savannah, too. It lacks the jazz, but it doesn’t smell like urine or vomit. 

So, there’s that…….

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Einstein said:

No, I wouldn’t. 

New Orleans is a disgusting, villainous city with an insanely high crime rate.

Modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.

Lighten up Francis. You better expand your lists of American cities not to visit, IE Chicago with an extremely high rate of gun violence and murder. Living life in fear worrying about random crime is no way to live, I’d rather enjoy the ride and great experiences with my fellow fans. My best advice to you stay at home and watch the games on TV, hopefully it’s a safe neighborhood. 😂😂😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

I tend to not soak in the culture and food when there are bullets whizzing past my head, and there are numerous muggings every night.

F17-A96-F1-67-D1-4525-9-FA2-40-DC279-D6-

Nice screen name. I like irony too. I’m sure people really appreciate the obviously objective information from someone who has clearly spent lots of time in the city. Hopefully you’ve saved those foolish souls who were planning on programming 1990s NOLA into their Deloreans. 

59 minutes ago, Kay in Kleveland said:

Lighten up Francis. You better expand your lists of American cities not to visit, IE Chicago with an extremely high rate of gun violence and murder. Living life in fear worrying about random crime is no way to live, I’d rather enjoy the ride and great experiences with my fellow fans. My best advice to you stay at home and watch the games on TV, hopefully it’s a safe neighborhood. 😂😂😂

Chicago has a high crime rate, but not for tourists. Most of the crime is perpetuated against their own.

New Orleans on the other hand has a high rate of crime for tourists. If you choose to take that risk, so be it. I will not.

FAE18-CFA-B66-B-40-CA-BB06-34853-DAE9-E8

847-DB13-F-17-DB-41-BE-9883-383884-E903-

47 minutes ago, transient said:

Nice screen name. I like irony too. I’m sure people really appreciate the obviously objective information from someone who has clearly spent lots of time in the city. Hopefully you’ve saved those foolish souls who were planning on programming 1990s NOLA into their Deloreans. 

Re-read what it says. That article was written in 2019. It is talking about how NO has been the most dangerous city SINCE 1994.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Heitz said:

Well, no hyperbole in that statement 🤷‍♂️

Like most cities (Buffalo included), you need to know where you are and more importantly, where you shouldn't be and you'll likely be ok.  

The only time I was real nervous in NO was when I was in a club, literally, w the Young Money crew and some guys they didn't like came in, I pretty quickly had the thought "This is where the naive guy from Vermont gets shot...".  🤣

Now that would have been a souvenir!

>>> "Bring me back some beads?"

<<< "No, but here's a cap they dug out of my ass." 🤨

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

I like Savannah, too. It lacks the jazz, but it doesn’t smell like urine or vomit. 

So, there’s that…….

Only been to NOLA once in 2000. One day after Fat Tuesday. That was my first olfactory experience with the French Quarter.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Only been to NOLA once in 2000. One day after Fat Tuesday. That was my first olfactory experience with the French Quarter.

That may have been before the signs in taxis announcing a $150 fine for “peeing, puking or pooping” in the vehicle. They didn’t just make that up - those signs are there for a very real reason.  

• Like (+1) 1

Been both places; Savannah is a great place, though nothing like New Orleans IMO.

I think of the great Tennessee Williams who famously said (allegedly):

"America has only 3 cities: San Francisco, New York, and New Orleans.  Everywhere else is Cleveland."

You have to take NOLA as you find it.

It's absolutely unique.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Chicago has a high crime rate, but not for tourists. Most of the crime is perpetuated against their own.

New Orleans on the other hand has a high rate of crime for tourists. If you choose to take that risk, so be it. I will not.

FAE18-CFA-B66-B-40-CA-BB06-34853-DAE9-E8

847-DB13-F-17-DB-41-BE-9883-383884-E903-

Re-read what it says. That article was written in 2019. It is talking about how NO has been the most dangerous city SINCE 1994.

I have been reading what you've been spouting. It's been filled with hyperbolic rhetoric like "whizzing bullets", "Sodom and Gomorrah", a selection of an article including the term "blood letting", and so on... and now you're backing it up with a snippet from an article from a conservative North Shore political personality whose goal has been to paint the picture of failure on crime of the current administration locally and nationally. It's transparent.

I'd venture to guess you're more familiar with Google searching for subjective trigger words and statistics to spout out of context to back up your preconceived notions than you are with the area.

I've lived in numerous major cities, including NOLA for the past 5+ years. For the average person it's no more or less dangerous than any other major city. Just like any other city there are areas you should avoid, especially after dark. Violent crime had been decreasing in the years prior to the pandemic, and now it's surging during the pandemic, just like it is nearly everywhere else in the country. Here's some free advice, if you ever come to NOLA and you don't want bullets "whizzing past your head" while you dine, don't eat in the Lower 9th ward at 2 in the morning.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1

Had a great experience yesterday. Flew out at 6:30 am to visit our daughter in San Francisco. Arrived in the Bay Area at 10:30 am Pacific and got to our hotel for an early check-in. 

We headed out for the official Bills Backer bar, the Northstar Cafe, about an hour before kickoff. We arrived to find it closed, even though our daughter had gotten assurances from them that they would be open on Thanksgiving for the game. Despondent, we quickly did a Google search for an alternative to find another spot to watch the game.

We ended up at the “International Sports Bar” on Columbus Avenue in San Fran. There were 8 other people in the place, all Vikings fans sporting purple gear who were in town early for the Vikings/49ers tilt on Sunday.

They embraced us as they hate the Saints and still love Stefon Diggs. We got them cheering the 3rd down train whistle and singing the Shout song (both of which I had on the Bills app on my phone).

We had a great time with our adopted members of the Mafia and will be rooting for the Vikings on Sunday.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Been both places; Savannah is a great place, though nothing like New Orleans IMO.

I think of the great Tennessee Williams who famously said (allegedly):

"America has only 3 cities: San Francisco, New York, and New Orleans.  Everywhere else is Cleveland."

You have to take NOLA as you find it.

It's absolutely unique.

Only thing keeping from going is the heat. Winter is off-season right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.