If you tailgate on a regular basis ($?)

major

I’m in Dallas (Arlington) today and drove by AT&T stadium. Amazed at RV’s, tailgating for both teams, and amount of money those vehicles and food must cost. But it’s nothing like seeing everyone camping out, beginning on Thursday’s, for a Sunday game in orchard park. Quick question: how much do you spend on a game if you tailgate like this????  I typically think majority of Americans are struggling to get by (or in debt) and then I see this. Back to my question: how much does an excursion like this cost, if you are able to do this on a regular basis?

I think it comes down to a personal choice in terms of how you spend your money. Those who tailgate choose to spend their money on the RV's and necessary things to have a great tailgate. For people like my wife and I, we like to travel so we'll forgo the tailgating and take a Caribbean Cruise. Some may have something totally different that they choose to spend their money on. It's all a personal choice. 

And I sooooo much wanted to say "Cocaine and hookers" as something others may choose to spend their money on, but I held back...

Starting from the beginning:

Gas/tolls, $30

Parking is cheaper in Orchard Park than most places,  $30 (hopefully the passenger pays)

Food/beer - $40

Call it $100 a day per person and you'll have a real nice tailgate and probably have change. I don't drink in the stadium, that can really add to the beer total. Less than a dinner date.

14 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Never tailgated on a regular basis,  but I used to drink on a regular basis doesn't matter how much you make you will always make enough to drink.

Houston we have a problem

40 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Starting from the beginning:

Gas/tolls, $30

Parking is cheaper in Orchard Park than most places,  $30 (hopefully the passenger pays)

Food/beer - $40

Call it $100 a day per person and you'll have a real nice tailgate and probably have change. I don't drink in the stadium, that can really add to the beer total. Less than a dinner date.

Houston we have a problem

These figures help. Thanks! And yes, I too have found things much cheaper in orchard park 

Last weekend estimates for driving to OP early morning of the game then staying overnight in Hamburg:

$160 gas

$20 coffee / snacks

$25 tailgate food (only 3 of us so extremely minimal)

$35 parking

$75 beer (in game & tailgate)

$120 post game dinner & beers  (3 people) 

$175 comfort inn Hamburg for a night (2 double beds & a pullout sofa)

and my seasons average out to about $1100 a piece annually I believe 

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

None of that stuff sounds appealing while standing in a cold parking lot.

wus :)

With anything in life, there is nothing everyone likes.....stay home and do your thing but realize others have different views and that's ok too

Edited by mattynh
  • Like (+1) 2

The best tailgate I ever had was when my Dad and I went to the Miami playoff game in 91 (I think). We had subs in his truck, Hot Chocolate with some bourbon added for "flavor", then into the game. We sat all nice and warm in the truck and commented on all the shenanigans going on around us. 

• Like (+1) 1

$30 wings for grilling

$20 beer

$50 craft bottled beer

$40 parking in Bills lot

$20 incidentals

——————————

$160.00 on average.  

(Not including game tickets)

Would love to RV.  Maybe a game or two a year.  Don’t have a RV currently but looking.  Sold our old one a few years back, would love another one.

Edited by davefan66

On 11/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, Draconator said:

I think it comes down to a personal choice in terms of how you spend your money. Those who tailgate choose to spend their money on the RV's and necessary things to have a great tailgate. For people like my wife and I, we like to travel so we'll forgo the tailgating and take a Caribbean Cruise. Some may have something totally different that they choose to spend their money on. It's all a personal choice. 

And I sooooo much wanted to say "Cocaine and hookers" as something others may choose to spend their money on, but I held back...

Welllllllll ... actually did you? ;)

14 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Would love to RV.  Maybe a game or two a year.  Don’t have a RV currently but looking.  Sold our old one a few years back, would love another one.

What do they cost to rent I wonder?

On 11/25/2021 at 7:08 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

None of that stuff sounds appealing while standing in a cold parking lot.

I hear that, I prefer to tailgate in my family room ;) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.