All-22 Grades for Bills/Colts (The Athletic)

HappyDays

7 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

They don't need to take a guard round 1, unless Quentin Nelson clone is available in the 20s.

Just saw Bills had 7 credited drops in the game. JA was 21/35 with the drops. 28/35 is not bad.😉

And 3 of those drops happened in the 3rd quarter on drives that the Bills either went 3 & out or didn't score on.

On the Cowherd show today they had Greg Cosell on for 15 minutes.  He talked about a lot of what happened over the weekend especially with respect to QBing.  His comments about Allen and the Bills were along the Ines of:

"The Bills have no running game and they don't try to establish one.  They are one dimensional in the worst way.  They are terrible at pass blocking. Their game plan requires Allen to be special on EVERY play in EVERY game."

Cowherd agreed that this was crazy and not sustainable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

So weird, John Fina loved Phillips effort and said he was one of the few guys who didn’t stop fighting. 

Oh yeah, Harrison has great effort and motor, he just never gets to anyone. He's awful, as is Butler and Addison. Jettison these guys this spring. Stop rotating bad players and put your A team in there. 

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And 3 of those drops happened in the 3rd quarter on drives that the Bills either went 3 & out or didn't score on.

On the Cowherd show today they had Greg Cosell on for 15 minutes.  He talked about a lot of what happened over the weekend especially with respect to QBing.  His comments about Allen and the Bills were along the Ines of:

"The Bills have no running game and they don't try to establish one.  They are one dimensional in the worst way.  They are terrible at pass blocking. Their game plan requires Allen to be special on EVERY play in EVERY game."

Cowherd agreed that this was crazy and not sustainable.

That's why Josh's game rated out a little higher than some thought. Knox had 4 drops which hurt and a little set back for him. Cosell and Cowherd are 100% right. What Josh did last year literally carrying this team on his back for 13 wins was herculean but it was never sustainable in the long term without a run game. And this year Dabs wasn't clever enough to adjust to the inevitable defensive changes Josh was likely to face. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Last year the O was successful because it got many explosive plays.

This year teams are playing us with 2 deep safeties to limit explosive plays.

By taking away the deep and some intermediate throws Bills are forced to reply on short passes and the occasional run to work downfield.

That can take 10-12 plays to score. To do that you need to execute consistently and the Bills are not close to doing that.  On many plays there is poor execution from the OL to the WRs dropping balls forcing a punt.

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

After reading @Freddie's Dead Ford write up, I was left thinking Ford wasn’t too bad…….than how does Joe B give Ford a D+?  Fina didn’t speak nicely of him either.  So which is it?  Did he play ok?  Terrible?  Likely somewhere in between…..but how far in between?

I give Buscaglia’s grades about as much merit as what my neighbor thinks about the game.

I realize that’s its hip to look at the ALL-22 (I do too) and try to analyze an NFL play, but Buscaglia has zero credentials. He never played at even the college level. Never coached. Never assisted to my knowledge. He’s just another fan giving his opinion. 

Long story short, I advice everyone to take every grade and analysis from every reporter with a grain of salt.

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I give Buscaglia’s grades about as much merit as what my neighbor thinks about the game.

I realize that’s its hip to look at the ALL-22 (I do too) and try to analyze an NFL play, but Buscaglia has zero credentials. He never played at even the college level. Never coached. Never assisted to my knowledge. He’s just another fan giving his opinion. 

Long story short, I advice everyone to take every grade and analysis from every reporter with a grain of salt.

I think almost everyone who is looking at this, is already measuring how much to trust this.

The thing though is, even if it is a grain of salt, he is putting in effort. I trust our TBD Edmund's report more than a generic poster here because the poster of the Edmund's report is putting in time and effort which is more than what most here do.

Edited by Reader
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Didn’t the Ford report say there was nothing to justify the hate and he played well?

He was the easy scapegoat against the Jags but he performed better than every o-lineman but Morse (which isn't saying much in that game).  He's been terrible this year though for the most part.  It's Beane's biggest draft whiff.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Phillips is going to join Ford as one of our draft misses.  Part of it, of course, is lack of playing experience.  He's a 4th year player, with the experience of a guy just starting his 3rd year.  But still, you expect more from him at this point.

That's how it goes - a GM who hits on half his draft picks, even in the first 3 rounds, is doing pretty well. 

He had 6 receptions on 10 targets.  I don't have the stomach to go back and find all 4 of the incompletions to see if I feel they were all balls he should have caught.  I know I felt at least 2 of them were "c'mon Dawson you gotta catch those"

Can you tell me where you are finding this info?  Not doubting you, just interested.

The thing about adjusted stats is, all QB have drops.

I dont know if there were 7.  I remember 4 that I was pissed about and all 4 were drive killers.  Having 7, if true, is not common in one game.

5 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Last year the O was successful because it got many explosive plays.

This year teams are playing us with 2 deep safeties to limit explosive plays.

By taking away the deep and some intermediate throws Bills are forced to reply on short passes and the occasional run to work downfield.

That can take 10-12 plays to score. To do that you need to execute consistently and the Bills are not close to doing that.  On many plays there is poor execution from the OL to the WRs dropping balls forcing a punt.

dont forget the penalties

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

Let me point out that this scenario means we'd have four first-round picks on the DL:  Hughes, Oliver, new guy, and Rousseau.  That new guy had better be an unstoppable force to justify that much investment in one position.  

I just realized the Bills already have four first-round picks on the DL.  Star Lotuleilei was picked by the Panthers in the first round.

20 hours ago, finn said:

The bummer here is that it looks like the Bills might need to draft a one-technique d-tackle with their first-round pick, leaving guard to the second round at best. They also will need at least one wide receiver. Let's hope Beane doesn't draft another Ford over another Metcalf this time. 

Depending on what happens with Sanders and Beasley, WR might be #1

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Phillips is going to join Ford as one of our draft misses.  Part of it, of course, is lack of playing experience.  He's a 4th year player, with the experience of a guy just starting his 3rd year.  But still, you expect more from him at this point.

That's how it goes - a GM who hits on half his draft picks, even in the first 3 rounds, is doing pretty well. 

He had 6 receptions on 10 targets.  I don't have the stomach to go back and find all 4 of the incompletions to see if I feel they were all balls he should have caught.  I know I felt at least 2 of them were "c'mon Dawson you gotta catch those"

Can you tell me where you are finding this info?  Not doubting you, just interested.

The thing about adjusted stats is, all QB have drops.

Thought you might be interested in this bit from Mark Gaughan’s piece in the BN today:

”When is a drop not a drop? Sports Info Solutions credited the Bills with seven drops vs. the Colts. Pro Football Focus had six. The Buffalo News had four. Every ball a receiver gets his fingers on is not a drop. The pass late in the second quarter for Zack Moss was too short. The slant for Cole Beasley on a slant early in the third quarter was too high. Nevertheless, the Bills had only 10 drops the previous nine games combined.”

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Thought you might be interested in this bit from Mark Gaughan’s piece in the BN today:

”When is a drop not a drop? Sports Info Solutions credited the Bills with seven drops vs. the Colts. Pro Football Focus had six. The Buffalo News had four. Every ball a receiver gets his fingers on is not a drop. The pass late in the second quarter for Zack Moss was too short. The slant for Cole Beasley on a slant early in the third quarter was too high. Nevertheless, the Bills had only 10 drops the previous nine games combined.”

I thought the Moss pass was clearly a drop and the Beasley one was clearly not- that was a rocket where had to go above the rim to even get hands on it.

Josh was clearly having some issues.  Haven't seen him abandoning any touch and just throwing rockets like that in a while.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.