All-22 Grades for Bills/Colts (The Athletic)

HappyDays

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Phillips is going to join Ford as one of our draft misses.  Part of it, of course, is lack of playing experience.  He's a 4th year player, with the experience of a guy just starting his 3rd year.  But still, you expect more from him at this point.

That's how it goes - a GM who hits on half his draft picks, even in the first 3 rounds, is doing pretty well. 

He had 6 receptions on 10 targets.  I don't have the stomach to go back and find all 4 of the incompletions to see if I feel they were all balls he should have caught.  I know I felt at least 2 of them were "c'mon Dawson you gotta catch those"

Can you tell me where you are finding this info?  Not doubting you, just interested.

The thing about adjusted stats is, all QB have drops.

Mark Gaughan wrote the following yesterday, btw. I thought it looked a bit short too, although maybe it could have been caught. Regardless, the ball wasn't where it needed to be if he was going to make a play: 

"Running backs (2.5): Too bad the Bills couldn’t have stayed within 10 points of the Colts and employed the running game more. Matt Breida had two more runs of 10-plus yards (they went for 28 and 16). He needs to stay in the active lineup. The Bills had a few nice pin-and-pull run plays. Maybe going to that more often, using the mobility of the line in space, can help take some pressure off Allen moving forward. After further review, Zach Moss didn’t drop the pass late in the second quarter. The throw was short."

PS - Happy Days posted this. SIS is what the WSJ was using for their piece on the struggles of Mahomes and Allen this season: 

Edited by dave mcbride

29 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game Allen had a really good first half his int was the result of forcing a 3-18 throw to Gabe Davis and Gabe was interfered with anyway.

It wasn't a forced throw. It was the correct read based on the leverage of the safety.

I don't know how Joe graded this play, but Allen threw the ball where it needed to go. Davis did not get separation and both DBs made good plays (arguably PI on the CB though).

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I didn't post the full snippet but Joe actually says the same thing, that Phillips kept fighting even when the game was out of reach. You can see why the staff loves his character. Unfortunately that isn't enough in the pros. He is too limited athletically to hold up in the trenches.

Most people on this board missed how important Star was to this run defense. The narrative that he was overpaid and invisible in 2019 was wrong. Last year our run defense was awful all year long. That wasn't a coincidence. 

The thing is - Star wasn’t playing the run very well this season.  He didn’t play it well two years ago either.  Or really since he’s been here.  And he didn’t take up many double teams in the run game either.  But he was good rushing the passer this season.  And two seasons ago he did not get much pass pressure but he was double teamed when offenses pass protect a lot.  Like a surprisingly high percentage of the time.

Still, he’s our best option at 1 tech this season.  I have not been a fan of his contract, though the restructure helped some.  He’s not going to fix our run defense woes, but he is better than Phillips and he may actually be an asset rushing the passer.  I can’t believe I just wrote that last part, but it’s true.  Maybe losing some weight was the best thing he could’ve done for himself.  Of course I have no idea how he is doing health wise with Covid.  If it hits him hard, then he won’t be back to 100% this season.  Here’s hoping he gets lucky with that. 

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The thing is - Star wasn’t playing the run very well this season.  He didn’t play it well two years ago either.  Or really since he’s been here.  And he didn’t take up many double teams in the run game either.  But he was good rushing the passer this season.  And two seasons ago he did not get much pass pressure but he was double teamed when offenses pass protect a lot.  Like a surprisingly high percentage of the time.

Still, he’s our best option at 1 tech this season.  I have not been a fan of his contract, though the restructure helped some.  He’s not going to fix our run defense woes, but he is better than Phillips and he may actually be an asset rushing the passer.  I can’t believe I just wrote that last part, but it’s true.  Maybe losing some weight was the best thing he could’ve done for himself.  Of course I have no idea how he is doing health wise with Covid.  If it hits him hard, then he won’t be back to 100% this season.  Here’s hoping he gets lucky with that. 

Simply wrong. 

• Eyeroll 1

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It wasn't a forced throw. It was the correct read based on the leverage of the safety.

I don't know how Joe graded this play, but Allen threw the ball where it needed to go. Davis did not get separation and both DBs made good plays (arguably PI on the CB though).

Yeh of the receivers in the route only Davis had any kind of inkling to be open and it seems he did absolutely nothing to try to gain separation 

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I wanted to avoid using "confirmation bias" to explain Joe B's score, but I'm running out of alternatives.

He always loves him some Jerry Hughes . But, according to some  numbers I saw he and Addison were just Giant liabilities against the run especially.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't have the Athletic, so I can't read Joe B's review, but I don't get it.  Unless Joe knows the plays and somehow Ford blew his assignments, I can only go by what I saw, and I did not see Ford getting beat on run or pass blocks.  The guys he was blocking did not make the tackles or exert pressures. I only counted two pressures, how many did Joe B have?  What specifically did Joe B say Ford had problems with? 

I don't get it.  I had two pressures for Ford.  I didn't see what Joe B saw.

I think Joe might be relative of Mr Magoo

• Haha (+1) 1

It's just amazing that the film analysis continues to show the same worthless players costing this team yet they refuse to release, bench, etc.

Why wait until the season is officially toast before you give guys like Jamil Douglas, Ryan Bates, Brandin Bryant, etc more playing time? Yes we joke about this coaching staff being clueless but if they are realizing the same things as fans and media, again what do they have to lose at this point and it sends a message to the rest of the team by making examples out of poor performing veterans/players.

40 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's just amazing that the film analysis continues to show the same worthless players costing this team yet they refuse to release, bench, etc.

Why wait until the season is officially toast before you give guys like Jamil Douglas, Ryan Bates, Brandin Bryant, etc more playing time? Yes we joke about this coaching staff being clueless but if they are realizing the same things as fans and media, again what do they have to lose at this point and it sends a message to the rest of the team by making examples out of poor performing veterans/players.

We're 6-4 in contention for the playoffs. If we were 2-8 this would have merit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Interesting take on Tremaine vs. Klein. I usually think of Tremaine as a guy who moves effortlessly sideline to sideline and in pass coverage, not as a "run stopper." But Klein getting faked out and lacking the athleticism to recover and get back into the play is something I hadn't thought of. Yes, we really missed Star and Tremaine last week. (Probably Zimmer too, if only because he would've kept Butler off the field.)

Edmunds would have held some of the 14 yard runs to like 11 yards. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So our run game has been bad all year, but for some reason Breida has been glued to the bench until the last 2 games.  Kind of says it all about the offensive coaching staff.  

I think the offensive staff struggles more making personnel decisions. Of course the Peterman debacle is well documented. They took forever dumping him. Players like Breida, Davis and Bates see minimal snaps? Is Kumerow and Gilliam's roster spot really necessary? We all know we probably can't fix the OL issue this year. But there are ways to salvage this season. Stop force feeding the same underperforming players into the lineup. Give others a look. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

So two of the biggest liabilities on the team -- Philips and Ford -- were on the field because two starters -- Star and Brown -- refused to be vaccinated.  

The fact that Klein played because Edmunds was hurt is a normal aspect of football -- a good starter goes down with an injury, and his replacement isn't as good.

The fact that Star and Brown weren't there just speaks to ignorance and selfishness.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think the offensive staff struggles more making personnel decisions. Of course the Peterman debacle is well documented. They took forever dumping him. Players like Breida, Davis and Bates see minimal snaps? Is Kumerow and Gilliam's roster spot really necessary? We all know we probably can't fix the OL issue this year. But there are ways to salvage this season. Stop force feeding the same underperforming players into the lineup. Give others a look. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

Kumerow is on the roster because WRs are so important to the offense.  The Bills have been lucky in that none of the WRs has been out due to injury, and only Beasley has been hurt at all.  If any one of Diggs, Sanders, or Beasley was out, we'd be glad we have Kumerow.

Gilliam.  Hmmm.  If the O line is having trouble pass blocking, shouldn't a FB or blocking TE be helpful?  And yet Gilliam is never mentioned as a solution to that problem.  I think I agree with you about Gilliam.

4 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m not familiar with this years draft class yet, but I wouldn’t mind going DT, OL, RB or DT, RB, OL. A young DT that can actually

play is sorely needed. 

Let me point out that this scenario means we'd have four first-round picks on the DL:  Hughes, Oliver, new guy, and Rousseau.  That new guy had better be an unstoppable force to justify that much investment in one position.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.