Bills focus at practice what do you all think ??

Toyo321

Do you think this team was relying on just coasting into the playoffs, and only playing just good enough when needed too just to get there ?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. This is only a hypothetical question based on all the mentioned lack of focus apparently shown by the team in its practices.

• Definitely Yes
    • Definitely No
    • Maybe
    • Never even crossed my mind

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Chandler#81 changed the title to [Vague Title] What do you all think ??

The "lack of focus" allegedly shown at the Bills practice is all based on a few media videos or photos of players dancing or shaking hands or otherwise being goofy during warm-ups/stretching or on their way from one practice session to another.  The media is only allowed to watch a small part of practice - the first 20 minutes I think.

I actually do feel the Bills have struggled with a lack of focus, but not because Josh Allen does silly handshakes while he's walking over for receiver drills or because there's video of Ed Oliver dancing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The "lack of focus" allegedly shown at the Bills practice is all based on a few media videos or photos of players dancing or shaking hands or otherwise being goofy during warm-ups/stretching or on their way from one practice session to another.  The media is only allowed to watch a small part of practice - the first 20 minutes I think.

I actually do feel the Bills have struggled with a lack of focus, but not because Josh Allen does silly handshakes while he's walking over for receiver drills or because there's video of Ed Oliver dancing.

Agree.  Jacksonville game in particular.  I'm hoping that the Colts game was an aberration -- a perfect negative storm that made the team look far worse than it is.  I think the Colts were amped to play and beat the Bills as a statement game to show their 0-3 start was not who they were.  The Bills took penalties-not new-- at just the worst times.  Down 14-0 than 24-7, Allen tries to do too much and he reverts to 2019 Josh and turns the ball over.  The weather turns bad, making a comeback even more difficult.  And so it went, a snowball and an ass-kicking. I refuse to believe that this team could become this bad that fast outside of a perfect storm.

The Jacksonville game was inexcusable, but they are people too.  Team character is under fire--rightfully so.  Let's see how they respond.  As I think German philosopher Nietzsche said, "that which does not kill you only makes you stronger."  We shall see.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was just at Cedar Point a few weeks ago. Besides all the Michigan gear displayed (Sandusky is too close to the border) it was a great time - I did feel like the roller coasters were symbolic of this Bills season.

... and similarly Jim Harbaugh's seasons at Michigan.  Hopefully Michigan shows up this Saturday, best of luck Yolo!

• Like (+1) 2

No i think given those that were out they are not as deep as we thought & they have been exposed the D isn't as stout as it's supposed numbers when it comes to playing a good team with a good run game which the Bills do not have .

They may make the play offs but i don't see them going as far as they did last season because of their deficiencies in the run game & on the D .

• Toyo321 changed the title to Bills focus at practice what do you all think ??
12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was just at Cedar Point a few weeks ago. Besides all the Michigan gear displayed (Sandusky is too close to the border) it was a great time - I did feel like the roller coasters were symbolic of this Bills season.

We went this summer after about a 6-7 year hiatus (for no good reason) and had a blast. Some of the new rides were amazing. Steel Vengence is now my all time favorite coaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This roller coaster season was self inflicted.  It could have been avoided with different choices in different areas.

I think I said this on the Bills subreddit, it’s just my take but it makes me wonder.

Ever since McDermott took over in 2017 this team has embraced the underdog role. In 2018 when they had practically no major talents and a project at QB, they still embraced that role and despite going 6-10 (with a 3-13 roster) they were still fired up on the sidelines any time a teammate made a play. 

They were still the underdogs heading into 2019 and they fought their way into the playoffs. They got a taste of success, even with that, I believe they went into 2020 with the same underdog mentality, but they played exceptionally well and nearly made it to the big dance. 

They’ve been seen as a top team since the 2020 season ended and headed into 2021 as favorites to win the division and represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. At times this season I’ve felt like there has been a lack of fire and focus. I know they preach humble and hungry and they’re a hardworking team but I wonder if they’ve struggled adapting from being the underdogs to the top dogs. They need to expect their opponents best every week. It’s now most of their opponents as the underdogs who wanna come up and beat a good team. 

Hearing the Jags players say the Bills seemed to have no heart was a bummer. They appeared to be in a similar state of mind for the Indy game. They were just like, dang it just isn’t our day, let’s get out of here with no injuries and focus on the next one. The McKenzie fumble really seemed to take all the wind out of their sails. It was like they saw it and thought “ah crap it’s gonna be one of those games.” 

I’m also feeling like they’re taking too long to make adjustments and that’s on the coaching. Daboll bums me out sometimes because I believe he has this unshakable focus and desire on being an extremely multifaceted offense that can adapt and change based on whatever defense they play. It’s like he looks at a defense and thinks, “OK, they struggle against a power run game, so that’s what we’re gonna dial up this week” despite the fact that they really aren’t the most well-equipped team to operate a power run game, but Daboll will wanna do it anyway because he believes that’s his key to exploiting the defense. I know you’ve gotta have a varied playbook but it’s been said Daboll’s system is already one of the most expansive and complicated in the league. And if you’re jumping around and switching up philosophies week by week, you’re gonna get players who have to think too much and that leads to poor execution. Sometimes I feel like they get away from what they naturally do well because they have a specific plan, even if they haven’t been able to successfully execute said plan. 

And defensively, I kinda miss the more aggressive looks and disguises we saw more of during the second half of the 2020 season, which is what you’d think they’d try when Star isn’t in there, but I don’t feel like we’ve seen that much of it. 

It’s also been kind of disheartening to hear from fans at the game saying the Bills sideline is DOA once they’re behind. Not sure what’s up with that, maybe they’re just more subdued than usual or something. They just seem so confused when they’re down, like, “How are we not beating these guys 45 to nothin’ yet?”

I dunno, whatever it is I hope they figure it out. You also wonder if the vax stuff hasn’t caused some rifts between teammates and/or coaches. 

3 hours ago, TAinLA said:

... and similarly Jim Harbaugh's seasons at Michigan.  Hopefully Michigan shows up this Saturday, best of luck Yolo!

They will show up. I have no doubt. This could be the year, I would not be surprised. They are a more balanced team than the Buckeyes. I’m (as usual) terrified!

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been saying for years it’s this team just going through the steps…. We run the same defense every week, the offense looks the same. There’s no creativity, no thinking outside the box, no twist in game plans etc….

For god sakes we were getting the ball smashed down our throats and we stayed in 4-2-5 base Nickel package?! Why?!  We have no run game…. Why not more fly sweeps, quick hitters to our WRs, quick passes over the middle to Knox? A 2 yard pass can lead to 5 yards gained. 2nd and 5 is better than 2nd and 10.  Last week was nothing but 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 10…. Punt, no yards gained cause we had every route runner going 15 yards down field.

Yes we are not physical and yes we get push around trying to stop the run, but the game plan never seems to adjust, change or throw something different at opposing teams. 

it’s almost like McD is so proud he thinks if they just win there 1on1s, win the point of attack and don’t turn the ball over is good enough to win…. I don’t see it. His “fundamentals” is the key to victory is crap. Dude, think outside the box and create game plans and packages, play schemes, defensive alignments that the other teams say “wtf” is that…. We haven’t seen that. Keep teams guessing. 

The Bills are too easy to game plan against and predictable!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cmon man don't do this to me! I was there as student in 2000 through Work and Travel program and those were best days of my life.

I need to check their web. I guess that Millennium Force isn't the biggest coaster anymore ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.