Marquez Stevenson designated IR-Return

MAJBobby

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What message would this be?  "Make a mistake and you'll be slung into outer space without hope of redemption"?

Yeah, that's not the kind of message McDermott wants to be sending.

It's currently #6 in the league.  There's also the point that he's had a lot of return yards cancelled by penalties.

I would think that removing a player from a given role for repeated, costly mistakes would be looked at as holding that player accountable for his poor play.  I am not sure that this situation is quite to that point, but I’d think it would at least be close.

Saying that McKenzie is 6th in the NFL is misleading.  Of the 19 kickoff returners who qualified with enough returns to be counted, he is sixth.  Link   But he would drop on that list if you included everyone.  Also if you look at team KOR stats, 24.9 yards would rank pretty well, but it is still only 3 yards better than the average team’s KOR.  That isn’t worth the turnovers. 

22 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That is just stupid coach speak. Everyone knows no player can turn the ball over. 

Singletary fumbled and wasn't touched and Breida and Allen both fumbled the ball away.

Do people really want to trust a rookie coming off IR to field punts and return kick offs??? Not this late in the season. 

Besides who do you sit? Unlilely they would sit Beasley or McKenzie. Moss? Breida? Jones? Kumerow is already not dressing. 

Moss will sit if he plays. 

On 11/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, FilthyBeast said:

The way I see it is McKenzie can not field a kick return again for this team if you are serious about sending a message.

No he's not the sole reason this team lost against the colts but his mistake killed any chance they had to get back in the game. Also McDermott spoke about him multilple times in interviews with the media saying 'he knows he can't turn the ball over'. So it's empty words to let this guy keep playing and the time is now to send a message and make a change if you are coaching staff serious about holding your poor performing team accountable.

And for those that say it could get worse with a rookie, sure he can do the same thing and fumble but that's about it. Best case he actually protects the ball, runs a kick back and gets worked into the offense the rest of the season.

Either way it's time to end the McKenzie experiement for good in Buffalo and if Daboll is gone after this season I'm sure it's a given that McKenzie is also long gone from this team.

They had the whole 2nd half of football to do that....

stop.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What message would this be?  "Make a mistake and you'll be slung into outer space without hope of redemption"?

Yeah, that's not the kind of message McDermott wants to be sending.

It would be sending the message that poor play will not be tolerated.

Some talk as if Sunday was Mckenzie’s first mistake. It’s not. He routinely muffs punt/kick returns. He usually gets it back, and it’s not counted as a fumble because statisticians don’t consider muffs to be fumbles as the player did not securely gain possession, but it happens much too often.

I realize that it’s a faux pas on this forum, but sending a stern message is one thing we could stand to learn from Belichick. His dog house is real, and he keeps players in there for a lengthy period of time.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Some talk as if Sunday was Mckenzie’s first mistake. It’s not. He routinely muffs punt/kick returns. He usually gets it back, and it’s not counted as a fumble because statisticians don’t consider muffs to be fumbles as the player did not securely gain possession, but it happens much too often.

Do tell.  In which games has he done this and when?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do tell.  In which games has he done this and when?

Going into the 2021 season, Mckenzie had 4 muffs in 38 career NFL punt return attempts (that’s over 10% of all punt returns ending in a muff) and 8 fumbles in 124 career NFL touches. He also had 12 fumbles in college - once every 14.4 touches. Credit to Joe Marino.

As for this year… 

- 4 days ago against the Colts (i’m sure you remember)

- Two weeks ago against the Dolphins (link)

- Week 3 of the pre-season (link)

- He also had a couple bad decisions where he fielded the ball within the 10 yard line and the offense got pinned deep.

This isn’t new. He has a propensity to do this.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Going into the 2021 season, Mckenzie had 4 muffs in 38 career NFL punt return attempts (that’s over 10% of all punt returns ending in a muff) and 8 fumbles in 124 career NFL touches. He also had 12 fumbles in college - once every 14.4 touches. Credit to Joe Marino.

As for this year… 

- 4 days ago against the Colts (i’m sure you remember)

- Two weeks ago against the Dolphins (link)

- Week 3 of the pre-season (link)

- He also had a couple bad decisions where he fielded the ball within the 10 yard line and the offense got pinned deep.

This isn’t new. He has a propensity to do this.

Boom

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Saying that McKenzie is 6th in the NFL is misleading.  Of the 19 kickoff returners who qualified with enough returns to be counted, he is sixth.  Link   But he would drop on that list if you included everyone.  Also if you look at team KOR stats, 24.9 yards would rank pretty well, but it is still only 3 yards better than the average team’s KOR.  That isn’t worth the turnovers. 

I mean it’s not misleading at all… there’s a reason for having statistical minimums to qualify as a league leader. You did a great job of pointing out exactly why it’s NOT misleading. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.