Bright spot? Referee Brad Allen’s crew assigned to officiate Saints-Bills game

SlimShady'sSpaceForce

Referee Brad Allen’s crew assigned to officiate Saints-Bills game

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/referee-brad-allen-crew-assigned-183333110.html

Brad Allen’s crew has averaged the third-fewest penalty flags per game this season (11.56) and the fifth-fewest penalty yards (102.67), with more penalties going against the visiting team (6.67) than the home team (4.89) on average each week. Most of their attention has focused on the offensive line, with 19 holding fouls and 16 false starts flagged this season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

More penalties against the visiting team...how does that help us?  It doesn't matter anyway.  All these crews are garbage and simply doing what the NFL tells them to do. Any discipline on Correntte?  Of course not.  We're not getting any ref love the rest of this season.

I bet it is every NFL ref crew has more penalties on the visitors.  Think about the crown noise and jumping offside.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Brad Allen’s crew has averaged the third-fewest penalty flags per game this season (11.56) and the fifth-fewest penalty yards (102.67), with more penalties going against the visiting team (6.67) than the home team (4.89) on average each week. Most of their attention has focused on the offensive line, with 19 holding fouls and 16 false starts flagged this season.

Not sure if this is good news.

• Bills are 6th in the league for the most offensive holding penalties.
  • Bills are 2nd in the league for the most false start penalties.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/false-start?year=2021

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

200.gif

when the opponent has the 🏈 

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

More penalties against the visiting team...how does that help us?  It doesn't matter anyway.  All these crews are garbage and simply doing what the NFL tells them to do. Any discipline on Correntte?  Of course not.  We're not getting any ref love the rest of this season.

At a 7-5 ratio I would take that even with 10yds thats only 70 for the game to 50 or even 25 if all the home side got was 5yds.

That would be livable ;)

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

McDermott is undoubtedly the best Bills coach since Marv Levy -- but it is concerning that the Bills have been among league leaders in penalties every year since he got here

2018     6th in number of penalties/ 5th in yards / 9th in false starts

2019     8th/14th/2nd (tie)

2020    6th/5th/4th (tie)

2021    6th/6th/2nd

For someone who preaches process, you would expect penalties, especially false starts, to decrease.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The offensive line is offensive

I respect you so much for the insight you bring and the obvious work you put in analyzing this team. So, please tell me what you believe is wrong with the OL. It surely isn't just five guys who forgot how to play, is it? 

41 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I respect you so much for the insight you bring and the obvious work you put in analyzing this team. So, please tell me what you believe is wrong with the OL. It surely isn't just five guys who forgot how to play, is it? 

So with Dion I think he isn't in his best shape. I attributed that to the after effects of covid. We have a centre half at Arsenal, my soccer club, who had covid at Christmas last year and he was never right the rest of last season and his form suffered. Took a full summer break of conditioning to get himself back to where he was. Having said that I think either Hapless or YOLO was saying that the rumours about Dion being out of condition started earlier in the offseason before he got covid and questions were asked about his lifestyle. He hasn't been close to his form from the last season and half though this year. 

Darryl Williams has also regressed. He was so solid for us at tackle last year and is a former 2nd team all pro right tackle while in Carolina so his downturn in form is concerning. Is he just an up and down player who has a good year followed by a bad year, or is there something more serious going on? 

At guard they were not good last year and the teams with good interior pass rush caused them problems. But week to week it is easier to hide bad guard play with good tackle play (which the Bills had in 2021) - especially in pass protection where most teams are designed to pressure from the edge. Where you need your guards to perform is in the run game and I think we'd all say that even last year the Bills had issues run blocking inside - and Feliciano (the slimmed down version) has regressed even from where he was at that point.

Add to that all the chopping and changing hasn't helped. We have fielded five different starting offensive lines in 10 games (see below) and the longest one single line has stayed intact is three weeks - the line that opened the season. Regression at tackle, underwhelming guard play, an average center and lots of chopping and changing. That is a recipe for the mess we have.

Dion - Mongo - Morse - Ford - Williams (Wks 1, 2 and 3)

Dion - Ike - Morse - Williams - Brown (Wk 4 and 10)

Dion - Mongo - Morse - Williams - Brown (Wks 5 and 6)

Dion - Ike - Morse - Mongo - Brown (Wk 😎

Dion - Ike - Morse - Ford - Williams (Wks 9 and 11)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 11/23/2021 at 10:55 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The holding calls could be a concern but Offside and false starts are not judgement so it sounds like a good crew. Hell as long as they don't move the sticks and try to measure after that fact I am good.

These refs could literally call holding on every play, I see teams holding our D-line ALL OF THE TIME, but it is never called. I remember one Patriots game where Jerry Hughes was held nearly the entire game.  I'm convinced that the refs hate us. I don't care what anyone thinks about my beliefs.

The 2 calls I hate most are offensive holding and pass interference bc u can manipulate them as much as u want. PI is the worst when it's real ticky-tacky as it can alter an entire game. I mean it happens way too frequently. 

Okay, I'm done complaining 😆

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Darryl Williams has also regressed. He was so solid for us at tackle last year and is a former 2nd team all pro right tackle while in Carolina so his downturn in form is concerning. Is he just an up and down player who has a good year followed by a bad year, or is there something more serious going on? 

I hate to say this, but ... Williams (age 29) just got paid, and it's going to probably be his last big contract (3 years/$24 million with $13.75 million in guarantees). Football is a rough, rough sport, especially in the trenches, and he wouldn't be the first player to lose a little motivation once he got his last big contract. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I have no other explanation. He's been bad this season on the edge.   

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.