The Buffalo Bills are a Soft Football Team. Is this Fixable? (Tyler Dunne article)

Logic

1 minute ago, Mango said:

We already have one of the most expensive lines in the NFL. Revamping the line will require a lot of draft capital and or eating some of the cap space to spend on another player. 

This is the same with the DL except worse, because the DL is something like the second most expensive in the league, but not anywhere near the second best unit in the league, and we have already committed tons of draft capital there. 

It is the combination of both with our $$$ spent on LB's and an impending decision on Edmunds that paints the team in a corner. Something something, cap hell, something something. 

You talking about the Dline or Oline? The Dline has lots invested but Oline isn't that bad I didn't think?

The OL is not talented enough as they get exposed.  So it appears as though they are soft.  I don't think our team is soft really.  No good OL play is the real issue.  And a little lacking in the D line as well.  Our secondary is not soft.  Our WRs are not soft.  JA seems to be playing poorly as well and that is only partly on the OL.  He is making poor decisions.  The biggest weak link however is the offensive play calling.  Yes every team has a bad loss but it seems there is more to it than just a bad loss.  That fumble by McKenzie really turned that game around.  An awful play that shifted momentum permanently. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You talking about the Dline or Oline? The Dline has lots invested but Oline isn't that bad I didn't think?

Buffalo has the 7th most expensive OL in the league. 

That is my giant concern going forward. We aren't just not great in some position groups. We are not great in position groups we have allocated quite a bit of cash and/or draft capital. So now we have to double back fix those groups, and ignore other units, like an DB or LB depth again next year. 

Edited by Mango
Add on
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

That is my giant concern going forward. We aren't just not great in some position groups. We are not great in position groups we have allocated quite a bit of cash and/or draft capital. So now we have to double back fix those groups, and ignore other units, like an DB or LB depth again next year. 

You're really not helping my mood, fella.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

So we've used a ***** ton of draft capital on the D-line and a ***** ton of cap space on the Oline and we got dominated like we did yesterday. Hmmmmmm

Houston we have a problem!

• Like (+1) 1

Why we sucked so bad.

1. Played a great team.

2. Missing Brown, Feliciano, Star and Tremaine.

3. Drafted Cody Ford, Singletary and Moss rather high and got next to nothing. Philips couldn't help much either....

We knew we were soft on the lines as we drafted all linemen with our first four picks and we'll probably do the same next season. It is hard though, to overcome those huge misses (above). Great teams draft better.

I hate to say this because I lauded his work last season but Daboll might be fired at the end of the season.

We need an OC that can and wants to instill a hard-nosed run game. I think Daboll had a hand in who we drafted. Can the RBs block? Good, that's their main job.  We need backs that excel in all three phases. We need a second TE. And above those needs we need a DT and offensive guards that are tough and can play.

I can't Billieve we need all that but I think we do.

And a big, fast WR like everyone in the NFL seems to have but us. We need someone bigger and faster than Davis, imho.... Keep Davila's the #3 or #4....

We also need an outside CB to challenge/replace/push Wallace and Jackson.

So, we need to draft in order of need: DT, G, G/C, RBs, TE, WR, CB....

These are all rather big needs, imho....

I think we simply need too much at this time....

Just now, Dr. Who said:

You're really not helping my mood, fella.

It can be done, but we can't really afford to miss as well. Buffalo has some versatility in Dawkins which I actually think is a plus. If a LT that this staff loves is there at the bottom of the first, I would grab them and move Dawkins inside. Not that Dawkins has done anything wrong (although off year with Covid). But we could, in theory, upgrade both positions with one pick, and that would make him something like the 8th highest paid guard in the league, so not WILD. Not advocating but a possibility. 

I would probably look for a big bodied DT in the second, then more OL, LB, CB depth in the third if it played that way. 

Otherwise I probably look for a DT in the first and swap some needs around. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The full version of this article appears to be behind a paywall. If anyone has access to it and is willing to share any more excerpts, it would be much appreciated. As it is, just the viewable beginning portion and article title hint at the overall gist of the piece.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-are-a-soft-football

The tired phrase was championed by fans and put into action by the front office.

Run it back.

Head coach Sean McDermott made no bones about it after his team’s season ended in the AFC Championship Game. He and GM Brandon Beane wanted to bring back everyone they could from their 15-4 team which, at first glance, sounds like a swell idea. They re-signed Matt Milano, Daryl Williams and Jon Feliciano. They made Josh Allen a very rich man, too. The only logical next step for the Bills, in 2021, was to reach the Super Bowl, win the Super Bowl and start naming streets in Orchard Park after all conquering heroes involved.

Head coach Sean McDermott and GM Brandon Beane decided the best plan of attack was to field the same team and play the same way. Right now, the Bills are 6-4. They’ve beaten one good football team, the Kansas City Chiefs, that has actually morphed into a completely different team since then. Two of their last three games were calamities on par with some of the worst losses from the team’s 17-year playoff drought.

The Bills were bullied by the lowly 2-8 Jacksonville Jaguars and, after a brief reprieve to Mike White Island, curb-stomped 41-15 by the Indianapolis Colts.

There’s no under-selling it: This is a defining moment for McDermott, the true czar at One Bills Drive.

McDermott has not offered detail on much of anything through his four years of press conferences but if there was ever a time to be as human as possible — to send a message — it was Sunday evening after watching his defense get steamrolled for five touchdowns by Jonathan Taylor. This was no anomaly. All four teams that’ve beaten the Bills did so with a hammer. Instead, everyone was mostly treated to the usual lullaby.

“I believe we’re a physical football team. When I mention the point of attack on the defensive side, we’ve been better. Just in terms of our hand violence up front. So, 250, 286 yards, whatever it was rushing, it’s hard to win. And then when you turn the ball over, that’s a bad formula right there.”

And…

“It starts with a mentality and an attitude. It’s a one-on-one game. You’ve got to win your one-on-ones.”

And…

“At the end of the day, nobody wants to go through what we just went through. Give the Colts the credit. But again, I believe we’re a better football team but we have to play a better complete game than what we did in all three phrases.”

And…

“It’s a journey every season. It’s going to ebb and flow. That, to me, is part of the challenge and I love that challenge to be honest with you. Not that you want to lose. But it’s making those adjustments to make our team exactly what it needs to be, and learn who you are as a team. And we continue to grow and move forward. We’ll see where we are after Thursday night.”

Not quite an address that’ll send players running through the nearest wall, no. I get it. This was McDermott’s appeal to begin with. My esteemed podcast co-host Jim Monos — who pushed for McDermott to get an interview and recommended the owners hire him — has noted several times on our show that McDermott’s sense of calm and direction was valued after two years of the batshit-crazy Rex Ryan Era.

But a loss like this — a Mike Tyson vs. Steve Urkel two-second knockout — demands more fire from the head coach. This loss is completely on those at the top of the organization because it’s clear that these 2021 Bills operate as front-runners. If the getting’s good against bottom-feeders, they’ll win by 30. They’ll dance and flex all over your grave. But if you’re a team capable of throwing that uppercut? These Bills, in 2021, retreat to the corner.

With the first shoulder lowered by Taylor, this game was a wrap.

Can you summarize the rest of the article?

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

It can be done, but we can't really afford to miss as well. Buffalo has some versatility in Dawkins which I actually think is a plus. If a LT that this staff loves is there at the bottom of the first, I would grab them and move Dawkins inside. Not that Dawkins has done anything wrong (although off year with Covid). But we could, in theory, upgrade both positions with one pick, and that would make him something like the 8th highest paid guard in the league, so not WILD. Not advocating but a possibility. 

I would probably look for a big bodied DT in the second, then more OL, LB, CB depth in the third if it played that way. 

Otherwise I probably look for a DT in the first and swap some needs around. 

I love Jordan Davis, though he's going to get picked top half of the draft most likely. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I love Jordan Davis, though he's going to get picked top half of the draft most likely. 

Jordan Davis aside, given our needs, this might be a good year to trade out of the first to the top of the second if somebody offers and it nets us another 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you give more detail, especially if you're a subscriber and have access to the whole thing (only excerpts in here of course)...

Or just what you see as the bad takes in the publicly accessible part

Not a subscriber.

we were bullied by the Jags?  We’re we really?  Their offense didn’t do anything.  It was a defensive battle due to 2 bad offensive lines.  If they bullied us, then we bullied them as well. We were wrecked by penalties and a couple bad decisions.  

I certainly don’t view this as a defining moment for McD.  We were key missing players at key positions (star especially, Edmunds and Brown), got some bad play from a few players that normally don’t play so badly (Taron, addison, wallace and Poyer), a handful of drops on wide open passes, untimely penalties, bad weather and a not so good day for our QB.  Not to mention we were going up against the best rushing attack in the league led by an all pro OLine and RB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not a subscriber.

we were bullied by the Jags?  We’re we really?  Their offense didn’t do anything.  It was a defensive battle due to 2 bad offensive lines.  If they bullied us, then we bullied them as well. We were wrecked by penalties and a couple bad decisions.  

I certainly don’t view this as a defining moment for McD.  We were key missing players at key positions (star especially, Edmunds and Brown), got some bad play from a few players that normally don’t play so badly (Taron, addison, wallace and Poyer), a handful of drops on wide open passes, untimely penalties, bad weather and a not so good day for our QB.  Not to mention we were going up against the best rushing attack in the league led by an all pro OLine and RB. 

There’s a decent amount of room between panicking and making excuses and imo this strikes a nice balance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

We already have one of the most expensive lines in the NFL. Revamping the line will require a lot of draft capital and or eating some of the cap space to spend on another player. 

This is the same with the DL except worse, because the DL is something like the second most expensive in the league, but not anywhere near the second best unit in the league, and we have already committed tons of draft capital there. 

It is the combination of both with our $$$ spent on LB's and an impending decision on Edmunds that paints the team in a corner. Something something, cap hell, something something. 

simply put, Bean has done disastrously in building the OL and DL.  "But he did this and that," yeah, well, he spent it and drafted it on the wrong players.  That's a bad job.  

Perhaps a "rebuilding" team like the Lions have a player on one of the lines we could trade for?  

2 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

Bare minimum, I would love to see a massive, yet effective, investment/revamp to the o line.  That will completely change the team.

A bruising oline will make an average RB look much better.  As a result they can sustain longer drives thus giving the defense more rest.

I'm willing to bet the Bills could pass even better with better blocking and lesser WRs.

Problem is, when you are paying an electric, but erratic, QB A SH*t-ton, there is not $ left for OL unless you draft them and let them go after rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

"Run it back" is incredibly ironic as an aspirational directive for this particular team

You can't run it back if you've never won a SB.  Has McDermott every yelled at a player in his life?  He show's little personality on the sidelines.  Hell, I'll even take a Belichick "head set toss or phone throw" at this point.  This team is incredibly soft and unfortunately I think alot of that reflects on Sean.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

There's so many factors going into this Bills slump. Daboll just hasn't been the same since losing his grandparents. Losing key players to C19 doesn't help. Reading too much of your "hype" news clippings factors in. And our 3 new young DE's are still learning. The OL doesn't have the skillset to make our 3 mediocre RB's any better.  And since the Steelers loss, teams have the blueprint.  It will be a very telling story as to how these last 7 games play out?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.