Is McDermott a Wartime Consigliere?

DallasBillsFan1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Did you start this thread just to use the word consigliere?  

Yes.  I thought it was clever.  But maybe that was the best part of the post?

37 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I have been saying for a couple seasons now, McDermott is a good solid leader, but I don’t think he really has what it takes to be a great coach in the NFL.  Personally, I think he’s worried about being liked too much, should’ve fired Frazier, when he had to take over calling the plays during the game. It’s obvious he’s not happy with the O right now, yet nothing is changing, at the end of the day, it’s all on him. So do we believe that he is going to change, or is Time to see somebody that can actually put it all together? I know Sean McVay’s do not grow on trees, but that’s the type of personality we need here.  Unfortunately, I would believe that he is safe, but I don’t believe that he should be.

Spot on.  You said better than I.  What happens to Daboll and Frasier after this season if we don't make it to Playoffs.  I think it'll be a scenario where McDermott is safe but the two coordinators are let go.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

What happens to Daboll and Frasier after this season if we don't make it to Playoffs.  I think it'll be a scenario where McDermott is safe but the two coordinators are let go.

Right or wrong...I don't think anyone is let go.  I think due to the success they have achieved after such a long drought they will be given another season before such things are considered.

• Like (+1) 1

Just like anyone in a new position, they shouldn't be judged on how they respond to a new circumstance.  But, they should indeed be judged if/when they don't appear to be learning from their mistakes. My biggest concern with the 2021 Bills is that they aren't progressing week to week.  In fact, they either look and react exactly as they did in early September, or may have even taken a step backwards. You only get so many seasons to win once you've got a supposedly talent-rich roster assembled. You cannot squander them!  The window closes very quickly. Come on Sean...show some URGENCY! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have used the wartime consigliere reference like 3 times this past week alone about work stuff!! 

I also always seem to use the Pentangali brother scenario as a reference quite a bit. 

Fredo, I was hungry and he offered me a can of peas

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Right or wrong...I don't think anyone is let go.  I think due to the success they have achieved after such a long drought they will be given another season before such things are considered.

Agreed. It's clear that our starting O-line is average and our backups are pretty bad. And we need a reliable DT. When the entire O-line was healthy and Star was in, we had great success. A couple of injuries and a Covid case later, and we play like crap.

The skill positions are pretty well set and I'm confident that Beane will address the shortcomings in the next off-season. McD and Beane are playing the long game. I, for one, trust the process.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I hope you enjoy the Godfather reference.

For the record I like Sean McDermott as a head coach, however I am questioning whether he is the right coach moving forward.  He has served the team/organization well getting the team ready for primetime, but now that primetime has arrived, is he the right fit and can he get them over the hump to bring this team to the big dance?  Good teams head into the second half of the season and into the playoffs leaning on their running game.  The Bills have no running game and clearly Singletary and Moss are not the answer.  Those two are not scaring any defenses. McDermott being a Defensive Coordinator can see weaknesses in offenses, right?  He didn't see that these two RB's are average? 

What are your thoughts on McDermott and do you think he can get this team to the SuperBowl?  Josh Allen enters his fifth season next year ... the window is open only for so long.

I don't think Sean has a clue how to evaluate offensive talent. That's up to Beane, Daboll and the scouts. His team may have wasted a couple of 3rd round RB picks but because they're 3rd rounders, they'll get more time to prove themselves.  Kinda like Ford?

In the past I have seen a lot of discussion on "QB Purgatory" referring to teams who have guys like Andy Dalton or who are good enough to get you to an occasional playoff game, and too good to allow you to ever have that tank season to get the top draft picks to get a superstar QB.  I am wondering if there is such thing as "HC purgatory", a guy who will never get you to the championship game, but will be good enough to keep you from replacing him as a head coach".   Norv Turner and Marvin Lewis come to mind.   This is my primary concern with McDermott. 

5 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I hope you enjoy the Godfather reference.

For the record I like Sean McDermott as a head coach, however I am questioning whether he is the right coach moving forward.  He has served the team/organization well getting the team ready for primetime, but now that primetime has arrived, is he the right fit and can he get them over the hump to bring this team to the big dance?  Good teams head into the second half of the season and into the playoffs leaning on their running game.  The Bills have no running game and clearly Singletary and Moss are not the answer.  Those two are not scaring any defenses. McDermott being a Defensive Coordinator can see weaknesses in offenses, right?  He didn't see that these two RB's are average? 

What are your thoughts on McDermott and do you think he can get this team to the SuperBowl?  Josh Allen enters his fifth season next year ... the window is open only for so long.

I don’t care if I ever see Moss take another handoff the whole rest of the year… I really wanted to like the guy but the bottom line is he sucks and he is as slow as a snail….

4 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I heard Sean’s comment about McKenzie’s fumble.  He’s not the guy for this team.  That’s just my opinion.  He’s got a cavalier attitude about winning and his quotations book is wearing out from all the press conf cliches.  He should have them all memorized by now so he probably doesn’t have to buy a new edition anyway.

I don't believe he's cavalier at all.  There is a difference between what McD says to the media and what he says to the team behind closed doors.  A good manager never calls out an employee in public.  That doesn't motivate anyone, but rather makes employees resentful and unreachable.  Every coach uses cliches McD is not alone.  The only one that doesn't use cliches is Belichick who just grunts and mumbles.

8 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I don't believe he's cavalier at all.  There is a difference between what McD says to the media and what he says to the team behind closed doors.  A good manager never calls out an employee in public.  That doesn't motivate anyone, but rather makes employees resentful and unreachable.  Every coach uses cliches McD is not alone.  The only one that doesn't use cliches is Belichick who just grunts and mumbles.

How do you know what he says behind closed doors? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.