Has the NFL's partnership with gambling ruined your experience?

Heels20X6

Just getting the temperature of the fan base...has the NFL's embrace of gambling taken away from your enjoyment of the game?  For me, it has...

I have trouble wondering if the officiating is completely incompetent, or there are other factors at play to keep "the line moving"...

This isn't just related to Bills games either.  Every game I've watched there's this questionable call that completely changes the outcome of a game, and you sit there wondering how something like that could be called at that point of the game.

Not only that, the number of upsets this year has been very strange.  It seems like a lot of forced parity to keep the bookies happy...

Maybe I just need a better tinfoil hat...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

Just getting the temperature of the fan base...has the NFL's embrace of gambling taken away from your enjoyment of the game?  For me, it has...

I have trouble wondering if the officiating is completely incompetent, or there are other factors at play to keep "the line moving"...

This isn't just related to Bills games either.  Every game I've watched there's this questionable call that completely changes the outcome of a game, and you sit there wondering how something like that could be called at that point of the game.

Not only that, the number of upsets this year has been very strange.  It seems like a lot of forced parity to keep the bookies happy...

Nah… not at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’m not so sure it has to do with gambling, but the incompetence of officiating is palpable. Each week I feel like I’m noticing it more and more. The sequence in the Bills game yesterday with the measurement was comical. It was clearly very very close. Instead they give the first down and then decide they want to try to measure it after the chains had been moved. Just terrible. 

Commercial breaks.

It seems now, more then ever, that there is a break at every.  possible.  opportunity.

for decades we have all known that the reason we get free TV is the advertising.  But now, reading this post, I'm thinking the NFL has an incentive to maintain or increase the number of breaks.

So we can get our bets in.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m not so sure it has to do with gambling, but the incompetence of officiating is palpable. Each week I feel like I’m noticing it more and more. The sequence in the Bills game yesterday with the measurement was comical. It was clearly very very close. Instead they give the first down and then decide they want to try to measure it after the chains had been moved. Just terrible. 

I agree it was comical.  A couple things, they have reduced measurements because there used to be too many.  That one deserved a measurement and they obviously jumped the gun but they did have a way to go back to exactly where it was so the system worked.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

That's the thing...it's SO bad this season, across the board...it just makes me wonder if we've got something fishy going on to keep the games closer than they need to be.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think there is a noticeable increase in game changing calls.   Yes personal fouls, holding, PI are subjective and so there is inherent inconsistency.  I like to point out that catches are now rarely controversial, so this is an area the NFL made improvements.  Which call changed the game against the Bills yesterday?  In my experience, gamblers have lots of "theories" and most don't actually have a clue what they are doing or that they are not skilled enough to win.  I do think Sports betting is something that can be beat but you need a lot of resources (see Bills Walters), the average smuck is just giving the vig away over time.  Which is fine, its their entertainment dollars to do that with.

19 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

I dont get this statement, bookies dont need parity to make money, all they need are betters.

• Like (+1) 1

Mute the announcers, stop logging into 100 sites to analyze every call, and watch on a low def 32 inch tv and you will feel like you did back in the 90s watching. 

as much as anything, the supposed increase in bad calls is our hyper critical approach to analyzing every last play 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2021 at 12:58 PM, Heels20X6 said:

No but I do worry that within a few years we will learn of players/refs/officials making bets in games they're involved in. It's too tempting. Not necessarily throwing a game. Bur say you're playing for the Jags, a team running for the bus. You're a WR. And a player prop says your O/U on receptions in a game is 2.5. So you have a buddy drop a ton on the under and you make sure you drop everything after #2. It's bound to happen eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

It really has. I am very sad. Due to this partnership I find I am no longer able to find the joys I once had in life. Restless sleep. Random crying. A loss of the ability to maintain an erection for longer than 4 hours. And I find myself drawn to Hallmark Movie Classics...but only the ones with the DJ from Full House. I feel like those last 2 are related.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.