Running Back Breakdown...How can we do better?

Mark Vader

For the last 2 weeks all of our running backs have been on the active roster, and we have used all of them in our running game, sans Taiwan Jones.

Our running game for the most part has been abysmal. Yet there are times when it has been helpful. Whether it's the O-Line problems or the play calling or both, the Bills have got to find a way to utilize it more and have it work better for us. We cannot rely only on Josh Allen to pass and run ourselves to victory.

Here's my observation of our running backs.....

Devin Singletary.

Motor has had his moments this year. I'm actually surprised at how good his yards per carry average is. Which makes me wonder why he doesn't get the ball more often. I understand we go with the RB rotation, but at some point you have to go with the player that is doing the best. Singletary is also a pretty good receiver as well. His biggest problem, is that he has too many fumbles, and when he does that, he gets benched.

I understand that, but at this point in the season, I don't see how we can afford to not have him on the field getting more and more carries.

Zack Moss.

I was hoping that Moss would be able to step up and be more than a short yardage back, but he has not done that. He does have some touchdowns and he does make a few big plays, but he is very inconsistent. He does not have the fumbling problems that Singletary has, but his lack of quickness and burst is a major issue. Surprisingly he's a decent receiver. Although I don't quite understand why we line him up as a deep wideout so often. In my opinion, Moss has done little to justify getting many snaps, and I would rather see Singletary get more playing time.

Matt Breida.

These past two games have me wondering, why Breida has been inactive this whole time? I'm not saying Breida should be the starter, but we cannot have him be inactive all the time. A good change of pace runner and a good receiving threat, Breida has shown that he can be a very affective weapon for us. We need to play this guy a lot more.

Reggie Gilliam.

I was not too thrilled with keeping Gilliam on the roster, because I did not see why we needed a Fullback. I see his value as a blocker, and lining up as an extra Tight End, but that's about it. He caught a pass yesterday, but is this the player we want to use as a receiver?

I really think that we need to use Singletary more and more. Fumbles aside, he has been our bets runner. Moss is just not getting it done and should only be used to give Singletary a breather or obvious short yardage situations.

Matt Breida has got to play. He should be the running back lining up as an extra receiver when we go 5 wide, not Moss & Gilliam.

Share you thoughts on this, and please keep it realistic. I don't want this thread to turn into a bunch of "we should have drafted this player" comments.

Stay focused on the reality of who we have on the roster and what we can do to get better.

• Like (+1) 2

I am not going to read all that because the solution is painfully obvious and simple.

Singletary needs to be the featured back. Breida spells him and comes in on passing downs. Zack Moss doesn't see the field outside of the 1 yard line. 

With that said I have zero faith in McDermott doing this, the guy is stubborn and will not change. 

• Agree 1

For the record:

Breida has fumbled 1.3 percent of the time over the course of his career (537 touches)

Singletary has fumbled 2.1 percent of the time on 482 touches

Moss has fumbled it 0.9 percent of the time on 219 touches -- but 2.1 percent this year (2 fumbles on 93 touches; 0 last season)

Anyway, we shouldn't be holding Brieda back because of an alleged fumbling issue. He really doesn't fumble it that much.

• Like (+1) 3

At the end of the day nothing is going to change until Daboll is replaced.

Because I think even with a better oline and true RB1 this guy will continue to call ridiculous plays and refuse to make adjustments in game. And based on how the game was going early when we were still in it he was determined to get Allen hurt with the stupid designed runs against the Colts defense.

But at present I still believe Singletary is good enough to be a solid RB if he gets the bulk of the carries with Breida mixed in.

Zack Moss is worthless though and should not be active anymore this year and certainly off the roster next year.

• Agree 2

Personally I think its mostly scheme, then RB talent, then OL.  The scheme drives the type of player you need to run it properly, RB and OL.  We used to watch Denver year in year out plug in what seemed like anybody and they could run effectively every year.  That scheme that Mike Shanahan used always produced a highly productive running game.  I remember lots of trap plays, smashbacks, wham blocks, etc. which required smaller more athletic OL and stocky, tough RBs.  His scheme produced something like 8-10 different 1000 yd RBs.  

I don't think this scheme that we have is capable of being run heavy when it needs to be type of offense.  That and we don't have the personnel in place to be able to make it work that way.  So to me, all three issues (scheme, RBs, OL) will keep us from being able to run effectively week in week out.  

Edited by P Riv
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I also think they need to put Josh under center.  It opens up play action, so that opposing defenses don't know what's coming.

Exactly.  I don't know of any team in the league that runs effectively/consistently from the shotgun.  

1 hour ago, Process said:

I am not going to read all that because the solution is painfully obvious and simple.

Singletary needs to be the featured back. Breida spells him and comes in on passing downs. Zack Moss doesn't see the field outside of the 1 yard line. 

With that said I have zero faith in McDermott doing this, the guy is stubborn and will not change. 

Okay

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

This is so obvious it blows me away why Daboll won't just do it. If Singletary is so damn amazing with his 5.0 ypc then increase his damn snaps? Use Breida more on outside runs and passing downs. Sit Moss until someone gets hurt.  This team spends way too much time concentrating on rotations and less time on just playing your better players more. This isn't little league where everyone gets 1 at bat. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.