What players are true draft busts under Beane?

Roundybout

There are discussions on here that Beane is a terrible drafter, can't judge talent, etc. I am not really inclined to believe this. I think he's a great GM and am happy to have him. 

That said, I was thinking about what players are truly busts under his tenure. I think they are: 

Cody Ford: though he had a better day yesterday, a high second round pick needs to be a starter every week, not objectively the worst lineman on the team at times. 

Harrison Phillips: I'm not sure how much that ACL tear did, but he's been awful. There are multiple videos of him being tossed like a ragdoll yesterday by the Colts' offensive line. 

Zack Moss: it's time to write Moss off. He might be a decent goal line back, but he's way too slow to do anything else. He's the running back version of Reggie Ragland. 

I don't want to include Epenesa or Oliver here because they HAVE contributed plenty already. Oliver in particular has come on this season; he's had about five sacks called back due to a penalty. My eye is on them, however. 

I don't include picks made after round 4 since those are often crapshoots. He's gotten good value in guys like Taron Johnson and Tyler Bass, though. 

• Like (+1) 7

After yesterday I’m even more pissed about the Epenesa pick. Don’t get me wrong, I like Epenesa but I would’ve been happier if Beane would’ve traded up a couple of picks and grabbed Jonathan Taylor. I beat the drums hard during that draft wishing Beane would make that move. Taylor would’ve made this offense complete. Although I know it takes two to tango to make a trade but I’d hate to think he didn’t think it necessary because he drafted Motor. Ohhh, what could’ve been.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

After yesterday I’m even more pissed about the Epenesa pick. Don’t get me wrong, I like Epenesa but I would’ve been happier if Beane would’ve traded up a couple of picks and grabbed Jonathan Taylor. I beat the drums hard during that draft wishing Beane would make that move. Taylor would’ve made this offense complete. Although I know it takes two to tango to make a trade but I’d hate to think he didn’t think it necessary because he drafted Motor. Ohhh, what could’ve been.

I always thought the same during that draft regarding Jonathan Taylor!  Taylor just ooozed talent as a star to be

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Agree.   Taylor looked like the second coming of Adrian Peterson hoing into that draft and had been doing it for years.  Looked like a cant miss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

Zay Jones 2nd round with the 37th overall pick in the 2017 Draft

2nd round 41st pick was Dalvin Cook RB

Cook on the Bills woulda been nice today!

I ignored the 2017 draft since it wasn't clear who was calling the shots. But I agree with that one, though who knows if we would have drafted Cook with Shady still playing well. 

5 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I ignored the 2017 draft since it wasn't clear who was calling the shots. But I agree with that one, though who knows if we would have drafted Cook with Shady still playing well. 

You nailed it on those buddy! Thanks for taking the time also!

Cody Ford: though he had a better day yesterday, a high second round pick needs to be a starter every week, not objectively the worst lineman on the team at times. 

Harrison Phillips: I'm not sure how much that ACL tear did, but he's been awful. There are multiple videos of him being tossed like a ragdoll yesterday by the Colts' offensive line. 

Zack Moss: it's time to write Moss off. He might be a decent goal line back, but he's way too slow to do anything else. He's the running back version of Reggie Ragland. 

When it comes to Ford and the Offensive Linemen on this team, it’s hard to write them off as busts until they get a chance in different offensive scheme.  See Wyatt Teller.  
And for those clamoring for Taylor, do you really think he would’ve been used properly here? Heck he probably would’ve been plastered to the bench the way he started his rookie year with Colts.  

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

There are discussions on here that Beane is a terrible drafter, can't judge talent, etc. I am not really inclined to believe this. I think he's a great GM and am happy to have him. 

That said, I was thinking about what players are truly busts under his tenure. I think they are: 

I don't want to include Epenesa or Oliver here because they HAVE contributed plenty already. Oliver in particular has come on this season; he's had about five sacks called back due to a penalty. My eye is on them, however. 

I don't include picks made after round 4 since those are often crapshoots. He's gotten good value in guys like Taron Johnson and Tyler Bass, though. 

If you are going to mention Moss, then you absolutely have to throw Singletary’s name in there too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

21 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

I always thought the same during that draft regarding Jonathan Taylor!  Taylor just ooozed talent as a star to be

There were many including myself who wanted us to trade up a little to get Taylor. But in hindsight we still had a OL with zero run blocking talent. Fix the OL first then worry about what RB is available.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

Zay Jones 2nd round with the 37th overall pick in the 2017 Draft

2nd round 41st pick was Dalvin Cook RB

Cook on the Bills woulda been nice today!

Beane was not the GM.  He was hired after the draft.  Whaley and McDermott had an amazing draft in 2017, the Jones pick was one of the only  misses.  White, Dawkins, and Milano were hits.   

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

If you are going to mention Moss, then you absolutely have to throw Singletary’s name in there too. 

Disagree, at this point Singletary is looking considerably better.

Also, I think what hurts us from the drafts (mentioned before) is that we lack star power. We get a lot of solid players but aside from Allen we don't have anyone who can take over a game, that we've gotten from a draft.

• Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah, Singletary's 5 YPA are horrific.  Luckily, he only gets 8 carries/game, otherwise we might have a run game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Link?

1 hour ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

Link?

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There were many including myself who wanted us to trade up a little to get Taylor. But in hindsight we still had a OL with zero run blocking talent. Fix the OL first then worry about what RB is available.

Link?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jake Fromm deserves a mention.  A complete wasted pick.

You can't write him off yet but I'm skeptical of Tommy Doyle.  Trey Smith was on the board and I thought he made a hell of a lot more sense if you're taking a flyer on a guy. 

Cody Ford.  Pretty obvious choice there.

I'm done with Moss. The only thing he can apparently do is pass block.  I'd like to have a running back who can run.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.