How would you FIX the Bills?

PatsFanNH

1. Find the meanest, heaviest free-agent RB, sign him, and have him terrorize the defense every single play of every practice until they figure out how to stop him.  

2.  Fix the penalties.  

3.  I'd put GR, BB and AE on seek and destroy.  No elaborate assignments - I'd use the youth and turn them loose.  

4.  The Eagles have shown you can have a running game without a big OL or big RBs.  I'd incorporate some of what they are doing into the game plan.  

5.  I'd get the best FA DT available that generally mirrors what Star does because you'll need him.  Ed Oliver needs that Star/Star substitute presence.  

The team needs a serious attitude adjustment. At this point they can't change the roster in any significant way. They have played undisciplined and erratic football.

It's up to McDermott at this point to get them to take their problems seriously. 

And this is just me: I am beyond disgusted with those players who have refused to get vaccinated. In the context of trying to put together a winning squad it is a character flaw, a sign that they put themselves ahead of the team in a situation where there is NO COST to them to do the thing will give them the best chance to be available when the team needs them. It's evidence of a "me first" attitude that puts the lie to all their talk about playing as a team. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You can't fix the Bills this season. It's too late. The OL will have to be overhauled in the spring. A better RB will also be necessary.  Josh will have to be taught to be smarter. Not just more athletic. And finally a culture of "toughness" must be instilled into their heads. None of this will magically happen immediately. But I believe it will happen eventually. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Change in offensive philosophy. Look at the Colts. That is what I would want. As Coach said after the Jacksonville debacle " We have become too quarterback dependent". Need bigger horses on both side of the trenches.

However, none of this is going to happen this year so I guess you run what you brung. Eliminate penalties and clean up mistakes I guess. I dunno

The Defense can not allow teams to have 6-8 minute, death by a thousand paper cuts, drives.  That are too demoralizing and it has to affect the Offense.  

If we sense a team can methodically move the ball on us, I'm simply daring them to beat us over the top.  Heavy boxes and heavy pressure packages.  If they hit big plays, it is what it is.  

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

If the players getting together to have a "talk" didn't fix their mentality, nothing will. These are grown men, motivation comes from within. 

Watching Ed Oliver yesterday laughing and joking on the sideline with his team down 20+ points at the time made me sick. That told me his motivation was his big fat paycheck vs. a true desire to win. Our arch nemesis, Bill Belichick would have had his a%$ on the waiver wire first thing this morning if Oliver did that on his team. Hopefully behind the scenes McDermott is reading these guys the riot act. Unfortunately, the the roster is not too deep in some key areas and he can't use the threat of a benching as a true "motivator".

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You don’t become a professional football player and make a 53 man roster if you have motivation issues.  Players not believing they’re being put in a situation to succeed mixed in with Covid/vax issues the more likely culprit.  

Plenty of professional athletes have motivation issues.  Especially once they get paid.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd demote Dorsey back to QB coach and have McD take over defensive play-calling.  Then I'd identify every non-vaxxed player and make sure they're not a close contact of anyone for the rest of the season.

I'd take it a step further and bench them.  THey can come in if there's an injury to their replacement.  non-vaxxed players arent reliably available, and until the rules change, they're as much a liability as an asset. 

1 minute ago, Evian said:

Plenty of professional athletes have motivation issues.  Especially once they get paid.

remember our last franchise QB?

Throw to Diggs! Last year Allen would just throw the ball to Diggs, whether he was open or not. And it worked. This year it seems like he's only throwing to Diggs if Diggs is open or if they play is specifically designed to go to Diggs. I don't understand the change. It's not like the old way was burning them. 

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I'd take it a step further and bench them.  THey can come in if there's an injury to their replacement.  non-vaxxed players arent reliably available, and until the rules change, they're as much a liability as an asset. 

remember our last franchise QB?

Benching our best OL and best DL certainly sounds like a winning formula. 

24 minutes ago, dpberr said:

1. Find the meanest, heaviest free-agent RB, sign him, and have him terrorize the defense every single play of every practice until they figure out how to stop him.  

2.  Fix the penalties.  

3.  I'd put GR, BB and AE on seek and destroy.  No elaborate assignments - I'd use the youth and turn them loose.  

4.  The Eagles have shown you can have a running game without a big OL or big RBs.  I'd incorporate some of what they are doing into the game plan.  

5.  I'd get the best FA DT available that generally mirrors what Star does because you'll need him.  Ed Oliver needs that Star/Star substitute presence.  

Interesting, I just read that the 17 snaps Basham and Rousseau were on the field together at end were by far the best for the Bills vs. the run at 3.5/YPA. Getting Star back with Oliver will help and paired with the rookies. The others remain liabilities against the run.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Benching our best OL and best DL certainly sounds like a winning formula. 

You want to rely on guys who are going to miss games at random?  Maybe make it a factor in the draft and free agency.  if the rules dont change, investing in non-vaxxed players is a risk, and frankly, not worth it

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

You want to rely on guys who are going to miss games at random?  Maybe make it a factor in the draft and free agency.  if the rules dont change, investing in non-vaxxed players is a risk, and frankly, not worth it

Well, aside from injury, Star and Brown will be our most reliable players possible once they come off the Covid list given the league rules. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Well, aside from injury, Star and Brown will be our most reliable players possible once they come off the Covid list given the league rules. 

Unless someone 3 states over sneezes, then they're right back on the list.  We can argue if it's fair or not but the COVID protocols are meant to punish non-compliance

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok if you were the HC Right now what would YOU do to fix the issues you see with the team?

Now As an outsider the one thing I’d change is running more and not being such a one deme soon also offense. Yes you have great WR and a great QB, but when your QB runs for almost as many yards as your RB and is not named Lamar Jackson IMO that’s wrong.  You need keep teams honest so things like PA work. 

The first thing I'd do would be to ban Patriots fans from posting on Bills fan sites.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.