Is it Zero Depth or Bad Coaching?

BuffaloBaumer

I think McDermott has gone overboard on the analytics and it’s resulted in a soft finesse team that others have figured out.  Not figuring out how to use a

soon-to-be All Pro Guard, asking your 2nd round Defensive End to lose 25 pounds and now he gets rag dolled when teams run at him.  We’ve gone so overboard on finesse.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chaos said:

My concern is that Daboll and the team has lost Josh.  The constant parade of jail break pass rushes, holding penalties, stuffed running plays and dropped passes has to take a toll.  Josh no longer seems confident in anyone other than Diggs. Maybe Knox. 

Yeah, I think Josh is great, and he’ll be fine, but I wonder how much the O line chaos is in his head right now. I don’t want to get into the “sugar high Josh” nonsense, but his play does look hectic at times. Nothing is coming very easily, including routine plays. This offense makes everything look very difficult, even when they succeed. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Its definitely poor depth but coaches aren't adapting to the players we have. When ford is in there we need to run more and go with more 22 personnel, like we did last week.

Defense should go more 43 against physical teams or 52 if you dont have the LBs, lord knows we have enough Dlineman.

They don't adapt!! That's why I call McDermott "Marv 2.0". Marv refused to adapt to what the Giants were doing in SBXXV. Jimmy Johnson said basically the same in the SB we were winning at halftime. A good coach adapt to what teams are doing to prevent you from excelling

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Zero Depth.  Bean has stacked average pocks upon average picks.    The D line rotation scares no one, and the OL is awful.  

We have depth in certain areas but it’s alarming in others.  

We can withstand injuries/covid to Hyde or Poyer, to Edmunds or Milano, to any other DL other than Star… to any other corner other than Tre.  

We can withstand injuries/covid to any of the RB’s, even to any of the WR’s (including Diggs).   We can withstand the loss of one OL, but not two… thus the devastating impact of losing Brown while Feliciano is already out.   We have six playable OL and then we drop off a cliff. 

Edited by SCBills

38 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s about their football philosophy.  If you’re the more physical team, you always have a chance.  We are rarely the more physical team.  

I couldn't agree more! The players play like their coaches personality, and that appears to be even keel, take what you give me. They just don't seem to have any fight in them. I was at the Jacksonville game and I thought for sure that they'd come out of the tunnel the second half, and take the game over. There does not seem to be any urgency in the way they play either!! They try to be a finesse team, and it's rare that that works in the NFL.

Just now, BhamBillsFan said:

I couldn't agree more! The players play like their coaches personality, and that appears to be even keel, take what you give me. They just don't seem to have any fight in them. I was at the Jacksonville game and I thought for sure that they'd come out of the tunnel the second half, and take the game over. There does not seem to be any urgency in the way they play either!! They try to be a finesse team, and it's rare that that works in the NFL.

Time for a slightly less homicidal Incognito. Those types of guys set a tone. A defensive thumper helps too. 

The depth may be due to false sense of confidence as last two seasons had very few injuries, certainly not major ones so our depth wasn't tested very much.

Will say too, the two positions I was most worried about today was Star being out and two offensive lineman out.  Depth there is an issue, but still can't understand why the same top 7 looked so much better last year. 

Admittedly drafting two tackles hurt as they were drafted high enough 3rd and 5th, that couldn't risk cutting them, so had to place on 53.  Add five starters, not much room left for depth players.  They like Bates as he can play every position, so that only leaves one more slot.  Factor in limited money and you got what we got.

So now we have Doyle drafted high enough couldn't risk cutting him, but not good enough and experienced enough to play him either.  I really thought they'd have found a way to stash him on IR all year, maybe do a Tonya Harding on him or something.

They just aren't playing good, complementary team football.

That's technically on McDermott but it's possible that the roster composition..........perhaps a tendency to select players with backgrounds and personalities that looked ideal for blind process following two years ago........NOW aren't responding well to a league with two different standards for handling Covid protocol.

They aren't playing like a team that trusts each other out on the field.

Undisciplined and selfish.

Not sure how McD is going to flip the switch..........but if I am playing this team my goal is to pull out all the stops early and watch them implode. 

Coaching.

1. Sticking with the nickel defense works when the Bills are ahead. But they need to go to 3 linebackers to make sure to stop the run.

2. Special teams mistakes

3. Not establishing a ground game. Please start breida and get him involved early against the Saints.

All these are on McD. He hasnt adjusted the game plan all year and its painful to watch.

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Agree 1

Players need to execute and hold onto to the ball. The coaches can only do so much.

I think you're right on the depth perspective. We need better space eaters at DT. The offensive line needs to revamped and I hope they address it in free agency. We need someone who can play NOW. 

The trenches of this team are lacking. I fully expect Beane to go all out this off-season.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They don't adapt!! That's why I call McDermott "Marv 2.0". Marv refused to adapt to what the Giants were doing in SBXXV. Jimmy Johnson said basically the same in the SB we were winning at halftime. A good coach adapt to what teams are doing to prevent you from excelling

They seem to take a few games to adapt, i dont know why. We actually adapted last week against the jets but then we abandoned it this week, made no sense. Its like Dabol want to play Air-raid  all the time.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Time for a slightly less homicidal Incognito. Those types of guys set a tone. A defensive thumper helps too. 

Ill take Ritchie back and Wyatt Teller

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.