Week 12: Bills at Saints on Thanksgiving

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not sure if this is a positive or not. It’s been such a miserable 30 hours after that colts game I maybe just grasping at straws here….but one way or another, Thursday is going to tell us a lot about this team.

Last year was an amazing season and might end up being one we needed to appreciate more because who knows when we will ever get that far again. Unfortunately, this season is it’s own animal. It’s been anything but smooth and has had more valleys then peaks. The wheels will absolutely come off of this thing if we lose Thursday night. This is a nice opponent in a very tough building, on a short week. It would be real easy to roll out there and get run over and just fade away into obscurity. Be a 1 year wonder and go back to being an also ran….or this team could actually show us that they are who we thought they were.  Show some balls and go out there and respond. Take a punch, get off the mat and get this ship righted again. A win Thursday and you buy some time. Time to get healthy and maybe even start to believe in yourselves again. Make the pats go through you again and show everyone yesterday was an anomaly. You want to be playing your best football from Thanksgiving on. We are on the ropes but the towel isn’t on the ground yet. Bounce back, dust yourselves off and go out there and find a way to get a goddamn W.

It's a positive in that it offers our hopes that this team can bounce back from a bad game and be the team we all hope them to be.  Nothing wrong with that.  Either they're capable or they're not.  If they are...yay rah!   If not...more work to do.  They learned how and built themselves to beat the Chiefs...now learn how and build yourself to beat the rest of the AFC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BubbaT said:

Can the Saints run the ball and execute a ball control offense? If so I like their chances. I like their D line better than our O line for sure. 

Yes they can, we will get a power game with Ingram and taysom hill, then Alvin kamara hits us with speed!!! And there Dline can get after it and demario Davis brings that toughness. I think it’s going to be tough, Buffalo better be ready 

I'm predicting a bills loss on Thursday. The team is playing poorly and coaching has been very poor of late. A quick turn around vs a rabid opposition crowd on Thanksgiving day will be too much to over come. I see much of the same. Bills can't stop the run and they can't or won't run well. Josh will be under siege and have a couple turnovers. Bills defense will keep it close due to subpar Saint QB play. 

NO 21

Bflo 17

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

8 hours ago, zow2 said:

We are absolutely going to get bullied and get our a$$es kicked by the Saints on "Drew Brees Night" in New Orleans.   

Philly just ran for 242 yards on the Saints D.   They won't allow anything like that to happen against them again.  I can't see the Bills offense moving the ball well at all.

Oh so the saint allowed almost 250 yards on the ground and dominated by a below average eagles team but they will never allow that again....happens to bills vs colts and now no way we ever stop it again...gotcha

Edited by Billever76
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Don't matter who they did it to. The offense was still clicking right? Otherwise if not Bills wouldn't have put up points

It does matter...it matters a lot. The NY Jets refused to run that Cover 2 shell which has been kryptonite for the Bills passing attack and stayed in cover 3. They have little or no pass rush anyway. 

The Dolphins kept attempting to play man defense with literally no pass rush and the Miami DBs, as good as they are... couldn't keep contain with no pass rush.

Not to mention that every one of those teams the Bills have beaten have a defense ranked near last in the NFL 28th thru 32nd. (Save KC, 20th)

The Saints are currently 5-5 and have a legit top 10 defense. The only good thing is the Saints defense is 3rd in the NFL in rushing yards allowed, 22nd in passing yards allowed.

Yet, if the Saints go to a cover 2 shell I'm not very hopeful the Bills passing game will suddenly right itself...not with Daboll calling plays. 

It still blows my mind that this years Buffalo Bills offense only put up 6 points against the 28th ranked Jaguars defense... a 1-6 team. Serious changes should have been made after that game! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

No chance on McD. Daboll could be. Which would be quite a remarkable fall from grace after last years success. Say what you will about McD, but he’s not afraid to fire coordinators or position coaches. 

I think McD essentially makes his OC the head coach of the offense, but I’m sensing a philosophical disagreement between him and Daboll starting to bubble up. Not saying it hasn’t happened, but at some point you’d think McD would step in and tell him how he wants it run. On one hand, in that scenario, we’re likely getting more runs. But on the other hand, we’re likely going back to McD’s conservative approach. I have no doubt Daboll and Josh have saved McD from himself in that department a few times over the last couple years. 

Something is going to come to a head. I was very skeptical Daboll would be snatched up last year as a HC.  And sure enough no one wanted him. I'm not asking McD to turn the Bills into some run first offense. But without an effective and efficient run game, Josh doesn't stand a chance. I would welcome a closed door discussion between Daboll and McD.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Something is going to come to a head. I was very skeptical Daboll would be snatched up last year as a HC.  And sure enough no one wanted him. I'm not asking McD to turn the Bills into some run first offense. But without an effective and efficient run game, Josh doesn't stand a chance. I would welcome a closed door discussion between Daboll and McD.

I've said this many times before but Daboll's OC work reminds me of Sam Wyche and Mike Mularkey.    Wyche famously ran a no-huddle to a near SB win in SB XXIII.   Mularkey had some very highly rated offenses in Pittsburgh.    So they could have really good seasons......but both also had entire seasons where they just couldn't get out of their own way with bad game plans and play calling.     NFL people would call Wyche's play calling "wicky wacky".........at times it seemed like nonsense to all but him and he wouldn't change things that weren't working.    Mularkey got that rep in his last season in Buffalo as well.........that 2005 seasons was one of the more frustrating seasons of play calling in Bills memory.

Cowher and the Steelers were really in a similar rock and hard place position with Mularkey when Donahoe came in and swept Mike Meathead off his feet that the Bills may be in with Daboll at the end of the season.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not sure if this is a positive or not. It’s been such a miserable 30 hours after that colts game I maybe just grasping at straws here….but one way or another, Thursday is going to tell us a lot about this team.

Last year was an amazing season and might end up being one we needed to appreciate more because who knows when we will ever get that far again. Unfortunately, this season is it’s own animal. It’s been anything but smooth and has had more valleys then peaks. The wheels will absolutely come off of this thing if we lose Thursday night. This is a nice opponent in a very tough building, on a short week. It would be real easy to roll out there and get run over and just fade away into obscurity. Be a 1 year wonder and go back to being an also ran….or this team could actually show us that they are who we thought they were.  Show some balls and go out there and respond. Take a punch, get off the mat and get this ship righted again. A win Thursday and you buy some time. Time to get healthy and maybe even start to believe in yourselves again. Make the pats go through you again and show everyone yesterday was an anomaly. You want to be playing your best football from Thanksgiving on. We are on the ropes but the towel isn’t on the ground yet. Bounce back, dust yourselves off and go out there and find a way to get a goddamn W.

Yes Sir!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 97bills said:

Yes they can, we will get a power game with Ingram and taysom hill, then Alvin kamara hits us with speed!!! And there Dline can get after it and demario Davis brings that toughness. I think it’s going to be tough, Buffalo better be ready 

Good post. I see nothing that gives me hope the Bills dline can effectively stop the Saints run game. I have little faith the Bills Oline can stop Allen from killing killed. Haven't we seen this before? Titans, Colts, and Jags to a certain extent. Anyone have any ideas besides saying or blindly predicting a Bills win? 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

No one gives a damn what your “prediction” is. This isn’t that thread. 🤦‍♂️

Wow. Are you upset? 

Edited by newcam2012

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Looking back at last offseason the only team with real interest in hiring Brian Daboll as HC were the Chargers. Who brilliantly chose Rams DC, Brandon Staley as their new HC instead. He chose the Saints QB coach to run his offense, Joe Lombardi.

Mind you, the Chargers have a top 10 offense and most of that is their passing offense, which is around top 10. 25th in rushing attempts, 21st in rushing yards.

Now this team knows how to utilize a RB in their passing scheme and running the ball. RB Austin Ekeler 573 yards rushing, 7 TDs, 405 yards receiving 6 TDs. 

Watching that Chargers-Steelers game on Sunday night made me so very jealous of a team that knows how to utilize a RB. 

A terrific Chargers win, with with their young QB making a comeback at the end of the game. Justin Herbert, 30 of 41 for 382, 3 TDs, 1 INT. 9 rush attempts for 90 yards.

10 hours ago, Bimmer323i said:

After Sunday’s s**t show I’m not even excited about the thanksgiving game anymore…. I’m almost embarrassed to even watch cause I’m afraid we’re gonna get blown out again and this time in front of the whole nation

So I guess all the "Real Bills Mafia" who bought plane and game tickets should just stay home?

Com On Man grow a set and man up.

This is our team and they are going into battle and need our cosmic good karma  :)

GO BILLS  :)

• Like (+1) 1

I work with a Pats fan ,he is also a Yankee lover and his only redeeming thing is he is a Leafs fan ;)

The first thing he says is what is your excuse this week?

I said I don't make excuses...I give reasons 2 O line men out meaning 3 position moves our run stuffing DT out starting MLB out.

Plus they were built for this weather with a power run game which I found funny as they are a dome team.  .

He says sure sounds like excuses.....I said take it anyway you choose.

I said enjoy first place for a few weeks...then he says the division is ours this year

So I say lets put up a wager I propose $100 and he says no..so I say I guess your not that confident and say $10 and he still says no.

So I just walk away.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I work with a Pats fan ,he is also a Yankee lover and his only redeeming thing is he is a Leafs fan ;)

I said I don't make excuses...I give reasons 2 O line men out meaning 3 position moves our run stuffing DT out starting MLB out.

Plus they were built for this weather with a power run game which I found funny as they are a dome team.  .

I said enjoy first place for a few weeks...then he says the division is ours this year

So I say lets put up a wager I propose $100 and he says no..so I say I guess your not that confident and say $10 and he still says no.

So I just walk away.

I was hoping this exchange would end with "and then I shot him in the face"

• Haha (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

So I just walk away.

Its not an excuse because I think most of us still feel we could lose that game to the Colts even with Star, Brown and Edmunds playing.    

We’re just in a bad place right now as a team… doesn’t mean we’ll stay there, but can anyone confidently predict what we’ll see Thursday Night?   I certainly can’t.  

Pats fans should be confident right now, but I think most of them would admit that we have a much higher ceiling than them if we ever get our act together. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've said this many times before but Daboll's OC work reminds me of Sam Wyche and Mike Mularkey.    Wyche famously ran a no-huddle to a near SB win in SB XXIII.   Mularkey had some very highly rated offenses in Pittsburgh.    So they could have really good seasons......but both also had entire seasons where they just couldn't get out of their own way with bad game plans and play calling.     NFL people would call Wyche's play calling "wicky wacky".........at times it seemed like nonsense to all but him and he wouldn't change things that weren't working.    Mularkey got that rep in his last season in Buffalo as well.........that 2005 seasons was one of the more frustrating seasons of play calling in Bills memory.

Cowher and the Steelers were really in a similar rock and hard place position with Mularkey when Donahoe came in and swept Mike Meathead off his feet that the Bills may be in with Daboll at the end of the season.    

Re: Mularkey being unable and unwilling to adapt: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/11/18/22788563/mac-jones-bill-belichick-young-quarterback-master-class

’Geography is destiny when it comes to quarterbacks. I’ll never forget a talk I had with former Titans head coach Mike Mularkey early in Marcus Mariota’s career, when he said that anyone who thinks Mariota should run the spread in the pros “don’t understand the NFL.” 

“I’m going to do the things that I’ve had success with since 2001, and I will continue to do that until someone stops us,” he said. “I know people say this is a passing league. I’ll argue with that.” He argued it until he lost his job a year and a half later. Mariota, obviously, did not get off to a hot start in his career and is now a backup. It’s easy to fail quarterbacks. The Patriots aren’t doing that. They’ve got a plan and Mac Jones knows how to use it.’

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Process said:

Is this a joke? I can't wait until this guy is gone.

?? — that’s not wrong and it is directed at his qb for forcing throws he shouldn’t. Daboll gave Allen shorter options on all of those plays. Basically, Daboll is speaking the truth.

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you think about it, that amounts

to two Josh Allen interceptions. The other turnovers were McKenzie on a kick return And trubisky in garbage time.  Wouldn’t call this priority no. 1 for the offensive coaches. 

Allen had a turnover-worthy play on the second drive on yet another forced pass. They were lucky it wasn’t a turnover. When analyzing performance, you have to factor that in. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

So I just walk away.

I agree with your co worker that they are excuses. 

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Its not an excuse because I think most of us still feel we could lose that game to the Colts even with Star, Brown and Edmunds playing.    

We’re just in a bad place right now as a team… doesn’t mean we’ll stay there, but can anyone confidently predict what we’ll see Thursday Night?   I certainly can’t.  

Pats fans should be confident right now, but I think most of them would admit that we have a much higher ceiling than them if we ever get our act together. 

Very nice post.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.