Week 12: Bills at Saints on Thanksgiving

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

No turnovers and he made the plays when he had to. Escaping that sack and running for that huge gain was winning football. He didn’t need to throw for a ton of yards. 

Exactly. He made the plays he needed to. They were never going to throw it much after getting such a big lead early.

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Exactly. He made the plays he needed to. They were never going to throw it much after getting such a big lead early.

It was not too different from his performance in the same stadium with the eagles a couple years ago. Actually eerily similar game in many ways. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

A beatdown in the trenches.

Hard to deny, but the penalties on third down were a major factor. If the Colts had to punt on two or three of those, it could have been a different game. Still, I think they were going to lose to in most cases. Reich's emotion may have really motivated his team to win for him. Whereas it's likely McDermott was radiating frustration all week at Brown, Star, and likely all the other unvaccinated players waiting to be infected. Palpable frustration, anger and resentment from your coach, especially at teammates not playing, isn't very motivating, I'd guess.

McDermott needs to get over his attitude, because more players will be out with COVID. I think the team is deep and talented enough--and has enough heart--to win without even key players. But not with a coach simmering with anger all season, let alone politically charged anger. 

• Eyeroll 3

No turnovers and he made the plays when he had to. Escaping that sack and running for that huge gain was winning football. He didn’t need to throw for a ton of yards. 

Every time someone slags a QB like Wentz in a game like that I am reminded that Trent Dilfer not Jim Kelly is a SB champion.  Sometimes you just have to manage a game and not screw up. Addisons pathetic sack tackle attempt on Wentz where he escaped and ran for 30 yards was a killer momentum shift.  Also Nathan Peterman would have defeated us yesterday with a running game that good and a defensive unit that opportune. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, finn said:

Hard to deny, but the penalties on third down were a major factor. If the Colts had to punt on two or three of those, it could have been a different game. Still, I think they were going to lose to in most cases. Reich's emotion may have really motivated his team to win for him. Whereas it's likely McDermott was radiating frustration all week at Brown, Star, and likely all the other unvaccinated players waiting to be infected. Palpable frustration, anger and resentment from your coach, especially at teammates not playing, isn't very motivating, I'd guess.

McDermott needs to get over his attitude, because more players will be out with COVID. I think the team is deep and talented enough--and has enough heart--to win without even key players. But not with a coach simmering with anger all season, let alone politically charged anger. 

McDermott is hardly liberal, so I don’t think it’s politically charged at all. I think it’s more akin to being pissed at employees not doing what they need to do to show up for work.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

McDermott is hardly liberal, so I don’t think it’s politically charged at all. I think it’s more akin to being pissed at employees not doing what they need to do to show up for work.

I don't mean he's deliberately infusing politics, just that the decision to get vaxxed or not is politically fraught, so it's not the same as getting angry at malingering or underperforming players, which can be productive.

I mean, how should the team process McDermott's anger? Some probably share it, others are likely sullen, since they don't think it's justified, and the ones it's directed at probably feel a toxic mix of shame, defiance and confusion. None of this is not good for the team. I wonder if he applies his vaunted "process" to himself: the guy needs to look in the mirror and stop indulging his emotions. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, finn said:

I don't mean he's deliberately infusing politics, just that the decision to get vaxxed or not is politically fraught, so it's not the same as getting angry at malingering or underperforming players, which can be productive.

I mean, how should the team process McDermott's anger? Some probably share it, others are likely sullen, since they don't think it's justified, and the ones it's directed at probably feel a toxic mix of shame, defiance and confusion. None of this is not good for the team. I wonder if he applies his vaunted "process" to himself: the guy needs to look in the mirror and stop indulging his emotions. 

I don’t think the emotions are the issue. Rather I think the “culture” he has created tends to prioritize these types of people. I am not condemning those people, but their views on this issue are decidedly unhelpful when it comes to maximizing the potential for team success.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Starting to wonder if McD has lost the locker room…. Lose this one and their season is toast IMO.

God I hate this phrase. It's such a pointless speculation that's often never true even on really bad teams. Even Urban Meyer survived his little scandal. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They’ve been up and down for the last 4 weeks looking uninspired in the process. Wouldn’t at all surprise me if there is some turmoil in the locker room. 

uh oh it must be the BiCkERiNg BilLs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG 

• Haha (+1) 1

every coach wants to go into every game with the best players he can.   i think McD is just disappointed at the situation hes in,  (he's not the only one)  was only a matter of time before guys who chose to not get vaxxed start costing teams games and or playoff seeding etc.    thats their choice,  and whether u like it or not,  it hurts their respective teams.   McD is just being diplomatic when answering questions about this.   im sure he respects their choices,  but,  im sure he'd rather have his full arsenal to compete in these games.   its a sticky situation.   best ability,  is availability.

at the same time,  if u cant rely on these guys,  u gotta make some decisions come next season.   doesnt appear this virus is going away,  and most likely the protocols wont either.   so do u put your faith in hoping that these players dont get it again,  or do u move on.    

this problem,  not handled correctly,  will absolutely split a lockeroom,  just as easily as it has split our society.   McD and management are in a tough place.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 6

The most important thing I'd like to see is the team playing with urgency and being fundamentally sound. Get off the field after good 3rd down defense without penalties and stop killing drives with false starts and holding penalties. Be physical with tackling and get some pressure with 4 or 5 rushers. Use Philly's blueprint and get a win.

1 hour ago, finn said:

You may be correct on these assumptions but I don't think McDermott's anger is politically charged. 

Edited by Beast

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They are also the most penalized team in the league…. Undisciplined all around.

KC, Baltimore and us were the 4th-6th most penalized teams in the league last season. It didn't affect success for either of those teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

KC, Baltimore and us were the 4th-6th most penalized teams in the league last season. It didn't affect success for either of those teams. 

Here's the thing though. McDermott prides himself on his teams not having pre- and post- snap penalties. 

He makes an issue out of it in press conferences.

That being so, he needs to demonstrate he can get his teams to execute what he preaches.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's the thing though. McDermott prides himself on his teams not having pre- and post- snap penalties. 

He makes an issue out of it in press conferences.

That being so, he needs to demonstrate he can get his teams to execute what he preaches.

Very true, and I feel this is where player leadership needs to step up. 

Of course, McD can also help by parking players' asses on the bench when they do something stupid like roll into Wentz's knees after he threw the ball (looking at you Addison). 

12 hours ago, Process said:

This is a much better matchup for the bills. I know it feels like the sky is falling right now but this is a game they should win easily. 

If we do lose then the season is truly over, because that would mean the coaches have lost the locker room and the guys have packed it in for the year.

The sky has indeed fallen on a monday after horrific loss yesterday. with 4 days to recover-reflect on THAT now we have the "aints" on Thanksgiving? I not only agree with your post ........but add I honestly DONT think they will lose this game. Gutcheck time indeed. I can't believe the team will not come out and WIN this.

I aint packing my lost the season bags yet folks Ima gonna wait to see this play out . 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.