Bills Defense is Legendary??

bigduke6

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Before playing the Bills, the Chiefs scored 42, 24, 35 and 33 points.  That's 33.3 ppg.  

Their defense is what was losing them games, not the offense.  We stopped their offense.

In their last 4, they scored 41, 13, 20 and 3.  That's 19.2 ppg.

So now the Chiefs are tougher and would beat us 80%s of the time?  

There's a percentage of posters here that feel a negative feeling, and then come up with the logic second. They'll just move the goalposts now that you've caught them in a logical trap. It's not about actual reality. It's about twisting reality to fit their pessimism. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

A "legendary" defense wouldn't allow the Titans to do whatever they wanted.

So the one team that had the, bar far, most dominant and unique running back of our time, gave the D all they could handle.  And that, in turn, opened up the play-action for Tannehill which is just what they do when they have Henry plowing away at will.  It was not exactly the type of offense this team is best suited for.  But making huge over-generalizations about what is a very, very good defense this year (I won't quite say legendary yet but it's worth mentioning) I think is going overboard a little bit about one friggin' game of the year so far.  If you haven't noticed, not every team (almost none other this year) has a Derrick Henry running over everyone.  Ever stop to think about that for a second? 

That's why I hate these dumb one-liner responses to a good question posed by the OP.  Guys think they're cute with ill-advised BS like this that take absolutely no thought whatsoever.  How about a little more discussion about a decent question to start this thread?  Or is that too much to ask?

3 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

There's a percentage of posters here that feel a negative feeling, and then come up with the logic second. They'll just move the goalposts now that you've caught them in a logical trap. It's not about actual reality. It's about twisting reality to fit their pessimism. 

ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Or lose to the Steelers either.

Certainly can't blame them for the Jags game though since they did their part and held them to 9 total points.

I've said many times this team is great as a collective unit and sum of parts, but still think against other solid teams they falter at times because of not having a true star in the front seven.

Also despite all the numbers about pressure this team is generating we've moved towards the bottom of the league in sacks basically average 1.5 per game and that shouldn't be the case at this point of the season especially against so many rookies/poor QB's on the schedule that other defense have feasted on.

They shut the Steelers out in the first half and allowed 16 points in the second.  The sole TD from the Pittsburg offense started from mid field. Most of those yards came from a 26 yard PI call.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Still think it's somewhat of a hollow accomplishment given where KC/Mahomes were when we played them and where they are now and sadly we probably lose against the Chiefs 8 out of 10 times if we played them again.

This is why aside from the Patriots, the Chiefs are going to be the team nobody wants to see in the playoffs and are still reigning AFC champs until they are eliminated.

Funny because they beat the team the week before us and the week after us scoring 42 and 31 points.  You used those words last year too HighFootballIQ.  You can't hide yourself with a new screen name because you can't change how you think/talk.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

We have a very good defense with guys who have been playing it together for several seasons now, especially on the back end, and they can complete each other’s sentences at this point. That said, while they’re a good defense, I’d hardly classify them as a dominant defense. I’m not sure that kind of defense exists anymore. 

I sort of agree with this.  But I'd give them them "dominant" label against 90% of the teams out there.  Doesn't hurt that we play a lot of weaker teams this year (thank goodness).  In some games, when they're in the zone, they are definitely dominant.

To the poster that said not having truly elite D-lineman is the one weakness, I'd like to remind you of the SB years back in the early 90's.  We had Bruce, who was as elite as they will ever come (and why I started following the Bills in the first place).  But not having a good, big bodied D-tackle and playing the 3-4 is (see Jeff Wright), I think, what really did them in, especially against the power running of Dallas and the 'Skins.  Add to that, the secondary was ok, but overrated IMO with guys like Kelso and Odoms who seemed to have been popular but gave up way too many big plays when you go back and watch them.  (I really hate Kelso, who was so soft but popular for some reason.  He's also just as atrocious on the radio broadcasts). 

So you can have that elite guy, or even two,mbut doesn't get you over the hump if the rest of the d isn't up to snuff.  This D is better, as a whole, as any they've ever had.  My point is that "elite" (a word used way to much on this board) D lineman ain't all you're dreaming of.  I'd rather have what we have now, with a developing lineman like Groot, than a crappy, overrated back end.  This year, as a team, they are getting the pressures, which is making those QB's get rid of the ball much quicker, with gives our back end real chances to get those turnovers.  The proof is in the pudding.

we have been crushing cans (on d anyhow), that much is simply a fact.

but oh how have we been crushing them!  only real turd of a game on d was tenn, and they balled out, and got some good luck and fortune along the way.  if we play them again, especially without henry, i think it goes very differently.

i complained last year about schematic issues with our team on D, basically it wasn't anti fragile, and that one guy making a mistake or us not winning enough 1 on 1 match ups could lead to too big of plays, all the while we werent getting enough big splash plays on D.  this season it seems like frazier and mccorch have found their magic again, and while i still have a feeling (mainly because im a nervous bills fan) that we will put up at least one total stinker before the season is done, we are witnessing the mccorch vision in full effect.  just a nullification defense.  take away the big play, fresh d line always running a track meet vs the big fatties on the other team, everyone being physical and flying to the ball, and some kind of anti missile mesh concept in the back end where windows flutter open only once in a while and not for long.

im pretty sure we are #1 or top 3 in D spending, and we have more than a few guys on rookie deals, so perhaps it really was the case that we were simply missing the guts up front last season that we now have w a growing AJ, star back, and boogie and groot making a mess up in the cut.  you love to see it.

8 minutes ago, colin said:

im pretty sure we are #1 or top 3 in D spending, and we have more than a few guys on rookie deals, so perhaps it really was the case that we were simply missing the guts up front last season that we now have w a growing AJ, star back, and boogie and groot making a mess up in the cut.  you love to see it.

Buffalo is 2nd in cap spending on defense behind Kansas City (crazy because they don't have a good defense). Last year the Bills were 1st and Kansas City was 2nd.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defense/

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

They shut the Steelers out in the first half and allowed 16 points in the second.  The sole TD from the Pittsburg offense started from mid field. Most of those yards came from a 26 yard PI call.

They were still soft when it mattered. My biggest concern with this defense is anytime we've faced a remotely competent QB we've pretty much lost other than the Chiefs game.

This is why deep down I think that we could be in serious trouble well before the Pats game against the likes of Wentz and Simian who have both had their moments in the past, specifically Wentz who was the sure fire league MVP before he got hurt and the Eagles won the SB with Nick Foles. Wentz is also undefeated against the Bills in his career.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Buffalo is 2nd in cap spending on defense behind Kansas City (crazy because they don't have a good defense). Last year the Bills were 1st and Kansas City was 2nd.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defense/

makes sense.  i think kc is just taking big hits on over loaded contracts, and we are simply throwing a ton of money on the d, to outstanding effect.

15 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

They were still soft when it mattered. My biggest concern with this defense is anytime we've faced a remotely competent QB we've pretty much lost other than the Chiefs game.

This is why deep down I think that we could be in serious trouble well before the Pats game against the likes of Wentz and Simian who have both had their moments in the past, specifically Wentz who was the sure fire league MVP before he got hurt and the Eagles won the SB with Nick Foles. Wentz is also undefeated against the Bills in his career.

Soft when it mattered?  Did you expect a shut out?  Our O couldnt move the ball.  They gave up a few field goals and a basically 25 yard TD.  Tenn they sucked.  In reality they were "soft" one game this year.

Wentz is decent but he's no MVP.  Being undefeated against the Bills in his career means zero. What was it 1-0? lol like that means something.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

So the one team that had the, bar far, most dominant and unique running back of our time, gave the D all they could handle.  And that, in turn, opened up the play-action for Tannehill which is just what they do when they have Henry plowing away at will.  It was not exactly the type of offense this team is best suited for.  But making huge over-generalizations about what is a very, very good defense this year (I won't quite say legendary yet but it's worth mentioning) I think is going overboard a little bit about one friggin' game of the year so far.  If you haven't noticed, not every team (almost none other this year) has a Derrick Henry running over everyone.  Ever stop to think about that for a second? 

That's why I hate these dumb one-liner responses to a good question posed by the OP.  Guys think they're cute with ill-advised BS like this that take absolutely no thought whatsoever.  How about a little more discussion about a decent question to start this thread?  Or is that too much to ask?

ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY!

You are getting very emotional over this.  I never said the defense is bad.  They have been very solid for the most part. I think we might disagree on what "legendary" means.

29 minutes ago, MJS said:

Nothing is legendary in the moment. It can only be legendary if we are thinking back on it that way.

But it can be elite, and it definately is an elite defense.

“Legends” are not built in one half of one season. But they are pretty dan good, and that makes me happy!

This is not the Roman Empire where you can look back midway thru and confidently say “this is legit!” Time will tell. 

59 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Maybe they were "soft" because the offense wasn't doing crap to hold up their end of the bargain.  Ever consider that?

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

“Legends” are not built in one half of one season. But they are pretty dan good, and that makes me happy!

This is not the Roman Empire where you can look back midway thru and confidently say “this is legit!” Time will tell. 

I challenge you to recall another season past when they looked this good, and had an actual offense to compliment their hard work.  Wade Phillips' teams were so great on D, but sucked so bad on offense.  See Rob Johnson for reference.

G damn, a little perspective would do everyone some real good.  But pessimism just abounds these days.  10 years from you'll look back with great fondness on these years and wonder why you were so negative all the time.

39 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

You are getting very emotional over this.  I never said the defense is bad.  They have been very solid for the most part. I think we might disagree on what "legendary" means.

No, well maybe.  But I just get tired of all you "Debbie Downers" raining on our parade when this is such a glorious time to be  Bills fan.  I mean geez, it's been so crappy the last 20 years but you all seem to really forget all those terrible teams.  Just have to have something to complain about.  But yeah, I need to let you be entitled to your own opinions.  For that I do apologize.  I get too fired up sometimes.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

11 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Maybe they were "soft" because the offense wasn't doing crap to hold up their end of the bargain.  Ever consider that?

I challenge you to recall another season past when they looked this good, and had an actual offense to compliment their hard work.  Wade Phillips' teams were so great on D, but sucked so bad on offense.  See Rob Johnson for reference.

G damn, a little perspective would do everyone some real good.  But pessimism just abounds these days.  10 years from you'll look back with great fondness on these years and wonder why you were so negative all the time.

No, well maybe.  But I just get tired of all you "Debbie Downers" raining on our parade when this is such a glorious time to be  Bills fan.  I mean geez, it's been so crappy the last 20 years but you all seem to really forget all those terrible teams.  Just have to have something to complain about.  But yeah, I need to let you be entitled to your own opinions.  For that I do apologize.  I get too fired up sometimes.

You completely missed my point. I have no problem with our defense. They are playing AMAZING football. I love them!

I have a problem with the use of the word “legendary” after one half of one season (as I clearly pointed out above). I’m think some (a few) people are pointing to negatives, with some valid points, but also some  just inherently negative people. I’m not one of them. In fact, I’m often accused of being the opposite. I think most people, like myself, just object to the hyperbole that is the use of the word “legendary”. Nine games does not make a football legend. 

3 minutes ago, BTB said:

The biggest problem with this defense being called great is lack of a 4 man pass rush.  Despite all the draft capital and cap space used by Beane on the DL, they are still a mediocre pass rushing group. 

Except you know they lead the league or are at the top of the league in pressure rate while only 5 teams have blitzed less than the Bills 19.7%

Blitz % 19.7 (6th lowest)

Hurry % 16 (1st)

Pressure %  30.6 (1st)

If you like PFF which I don't they have the Bills 

Pressure rate: 48.9% (No. 3)

Quick pressure rate: 28.2% (No. 1)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.