All-22 Grades for Bills/Jets (The Athletic)

HappyDays

1. Getting back to some offensive principles of old

We spotted the Bills using heavy personnel at a higher rate than we had seen from them at any point in the 2021 season. Using the combination of one running back, two wide receivers and a tight end with either another tight end, a fullback or a sixth offensive lineman produced excellent results. The Bills averaged 10.2 yards per play on those snaps.

Entering the Jets game, the Bills had their quarterbacks in shotgun on 76.8 percent of snaps, not including kneeldowns. That included Week 9 against the Jaguars when the Bills had Allen in shotgun on 91.3 percent of their plays. That was the second time the Bills hit at least 90 percent of snaps in shotgun, and in both games, the Bills lost. Interestingly enough, in the Bills’ only other loss this season, they were in shotgun on 89.8 percent of snaps against the Titans.

For the run game, lining up under center allowed the Bills to get back to some of their successful pin-and-pull blocking from 2019. It enables some of the team’s athletic offensive linemen, like center Mitch Morse and right guard Daryl Williams, to get out in front of running backs and deliver a key block to the outside.

However, the Bills’ play-action game is what benefited the most from Allen lining up under center. According to TruMedia and Pro Football Focus, on Sunday, the Bills ran the highest rate of early-down play action (69.6 percent) in one game since the start of the 2019 season. Allen completed 14 attempts on play-action passes, and 13 of them were on first and second down. For the game, Allen completed 13 of 16 early-down play-action attempts for 269 yards and a whopping 16.8 yards per attempt.

Over the last three seasons, the Bills have not lost a game when using play action on at least 50 percent of early downs. The scoring outputs shifted slightly from 30 to 49.9 percent, but 30 or more percent yielded around 29 points per game.

The Bills averaged around 12 fewer points per game when they fell below the 30 percent threshold. And for those wondering, the Bills were at 27.5 percent during the Jacksonville debacle.

I don't like copying and pasting too much from The Athletic since it requires a paid subscription and the above was by far the most interesting section so I'll leave it at that.

To quickly summarize the rest:

2) Davis's footwork, blocking, deep speed, and route deception shined against the Jets.

3) Rousseau looks natural and explosive dropping into coverage when the play calls for it. His versatility allows the Bills to use overload blitzes with great success.

4) The run defense took a big hit with Star out of the game. Oliver and Phillips both did well, but Butler and Obada were both liabilities against the run. Joe is concerned about how we'll hold up against the Colts and Saints running attacks and he thinks Brandin Bryant should be activated from the PS as long as Star is out.

Top 5 grades:

1) Hyde (A)

2) White (Tre'Davious, not Mike) (A-)

3) Allen (A-)

4) Diggs (A-)

5) Poyer (A-)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst)

1) Butler (C-)

2) Knox (C)

3) Sweeney (C+)

4) Gilliam (C+)

5) Boettger (C+)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Get comfortable with Allen being under center…he will be there a lot.

They are 17th in YPP out of the shotgun and 2nd in YPP under center. Sunday, Allen had the highest number of yards on play action throws in the NFL over the last two years. He should be under center a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

They are 17th in YPP out of the shotgun and 2nd in YPP under center. Sunday, Allen had the highest number of yards on play action throws in the NFL over the last two years. He should be under center a lot.

That is until defenses figure out how to stop it. Then we can revert back to Shotgun. just keep adjusting. Its very nice to know he can play under center though, he struggled in 2019 I believe.

1 minute ago, jletha said:

That is until defenses figure out how to stop it. Then we can revert back to Shotgun. just keep adjusting. Its very nice to know he can play under center though, he struggled in 2019 I believe.

Allen has been better under center this year than he was last year and the year before. He is also much more comfortable in this offense and with the game overall. He is a smart kid and very natural in his ball handling skills in play action. The game is always about adjustments, within game and week to week. It is not like he is bad out of the shotgun...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Get comfortable with Allen being under center…he will be there a lot.

Good....I'm tired of the shotgun RPO.  Give our RB's a fighting chance actually moving on handoff.  Play action will return. Run more plays outside the D gap. Use Breida and Davis more. We obviously don't have the luxury to replace Boettger right away so slide help to the left. The Jets gameplan was great but be prepared to adjust again & again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Vernon Butler needs to be cut or inactive the rest of the year, just like with Moss not sure why we keep wasting playing time with him other than the fact he's a former Panther.

I predict another D-line 1st round pick in 2022 again.

I bet Star, Butler, Oboda and Phillips will be gone. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Vernon Butler needs to be cut or inactive the rest of the year, just like with Moss not sure why we keep wasting playing time with him other than the fact he's a former Panther.

I don't mind Moss being active giving the backfield a power look. But I do agree on Vernon Butler, he should be in active, he is bringing no value.

13 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Star has been one of the best D-line players on the roster, the rest of the players you might be right but Star has not only been the source of the improved run defense but has added a pass rush element to his game. Star has also restructured his contract to make his cap hit more in line with his production. I wouldn't be surprised to see a first round pick at DT but Star is back next season.

45 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The only reason I think they don't go in that direction is because run-stuffing DT's can be gotten in free agency for a reasonable price. I think they take a versatile offensive lineman that can play guard and tackle. I bet either Feliciano or Williams gets cut this off-season.

26 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The only reason I think they don't go in that direction is because run-stuffing DT's can be gotten in free agency for a reasonable price. I think they take a versatile offensive lineman that can play guard and tackle. I bet either Feliciano or Williams gets cut this off-season.

WR

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't like copying and pasting too much from The Athletic since it requires a paid subscription and the above was by far the most interesting section so I'll leave it at that.

To quickly summarize the rest:

2) Davis's footwork, blocking, deep speed, and route deception shined against the Jets.

3) Rousseau looks natural and explosive dropping into coverage when the play calls for it. His versatility allows the Bills to use overload blitzes with great success.

4) The run defense took a big hit with Star out of the game. Oliver and Phillips both did well, but Butler and Obada were both liabilities against the run. Joe is concerned about how we'll hold up against the Colts and Saints running attacks and he thinks Brandin Bryant should be activated from the PS as long as Star is out.

Top 5 grades:

1) Hyde (A)

2) White (Tre'Davious, not Mike) (A-)

3) Allen (A-)

4) Diggs (A-)

5) Poyer (A-)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst)

1) Butler (C-)

2) Knox (C)

3) Sweeney (C+)

4) Gilliam (C+)

5) Boettger (C+)

The point about the run defense definitely is concerning.  It makes you wonder if Oliver and Phillips just stay on the field longer.  I’m not a fan of Vernon Butler.  He isn’t very good 

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jesus Christ how many do they need? 

How bout some investment offensively? 

They should go WR first round next year, IMO. This is most likely Beasleys last year here, Sanders is 34 and may retire and then you just have Diggs and Davis…. They need to start adding more playmakers offensively and stop loading up defensively, IMO.

I agree with you but it seems like the Bills have been getting good value with WR free agents and later round selections like Davis. 

DL free agents seem pricey. 

4 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That last would be really stupid, considering that 2 of our top 3 WR are 33 and 34, we only have one TE, and our interior OL is struggling.

At some point we must invest in the offense, and moving on from 3 of 4 DT plus a guy who can rotate would just create a huge hole we have to fill.

Phillips, Butler and Obada are all UFA.  Star is under contract through 2023.  I can't tell you how the Bills FO will evaluate them or what they offer, but it's always a bit of a guessing game signing lower tier FA, you always overpay for top guys, and we can't draft 3 or 4 top DT.

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jesus Christ how many do they need? 

How bout some investment offensively? 

They should go WR first round next year, IMO. This is most likely Beasleys last year here, Sanders is 34 and may retire and then you just have Diggs and Davis…. They need to start adding more playmakers offensively and stop loading up defensively, IMO.

I agree (not necessarily with WR in the first round, but that we need some investment offensively)

End of the world predicted, News at 11 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.