Dick Jauron fired 12 years ago today

Buffalo Boy

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That wasn't the play call - Fitz saw single coverage on TO and called an audible.

It's jmo but I still think if Jauron is the coach Fitz wouldn't be confident/brave enough to make that call on his own then 

Edited by Another Fan

Jauron was like McDermott in a lot of ways especially with his defensive philosophy but could never solve the QB riddle just like every coach that was here going back to the last the franchise made the playoffs with Wade Phillips/Flutie.

Amazing how fast time flies by though, seems like just yesterday he was on the sideliness looking like a lifeless corpse with a pathetic clap.

Living in the Chicago area, seeing the Bears & local news, I already knew how utterly horrendous of a hire Jauron would be. I vividly remember hearing the bills were going to interview him, and my heart sank into my stomach. To ease the pain, I told myself that there's no way they'd actually hire him, but I somehow knew deep inside that it was going to happen. I just knew, it was exactly the type of thing Ralph would do. The hiring process was like watching a train wreck, knowing there'd be no survivors.

Edited by 947

17 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Funny, I used to drive bewteen Chicago and Milwuakee for work and passed that very location numerous times (maybe 50-100 times), including during the years Jauron was coaching the Bills.  I made that same drive this past summer.  Never knew he lived there.  It's very close to the interstate, but I guess that would be convenient for getting from Lake Forest downtown to Soldier Field.

Just now, 947 said:

Living in the Chicago area, seeing the Bears & local news, I already knew how utterly horrendous of a hire Jauron would be. I vividly remember hearing the bills were going to interview him, and my heart sank into my stomach. To ease the pain, I told myself that there's no way they'd actually hire him, but I somehow knew deep inside that it was going to happen. I just knew, it was exactly the type of thing Ralph would do. The hiring process was like watching a train wreck, knowing there's be no survivors.

I also lived in Chicago at the time and felt the EXACT same way.

50 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

It's jmo but I still think if Jauron is the coach Fitz wouldn't be confident/brave enough to make that call on his own then 

If Jauron had been the coach, Fitz would've been on the sideline watching Edwards.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

A week before he was fired, I texted the bills fan line and told them that DJ was ruining my gameday experience. He was fired a week later

I remember it pretty clearly. It was after the most disgusting game of professional football I've ever witnessed. The 6-3 embarrassing loss to the Browns. I looked over to my best friend who's also a fan and said, if he doesn't get fired after this I have no hope for this franchise. 

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Dick Jauron was yet another good DC who was a bad HC

He's the type of coach who will turn up as the new Texans HC or something next year. 

He was fine.  He had very little control over the roster and hit homeruns when he was allowed to make picks.  He begged Marv Levy to draft Kyle Williams in the 4th round but Marv drafted Ko Simpson instead.  When Kyle was still there in the 5th, Marv listened and drafted Kyle Williams.  Jauron was a good coach, but got stuck with a less than optimal roster due to the GM.  

Jauron was a symptom of the overall organizational problems plaguing Buffalo in those days.  At first I was glad they ended his tenure, but the 2010-2013 seasons revealed nothing had really changed above the HC level.  It was still a franchise run by people who were looking out for the owner and reducing costs.  

Thank goodness those days are over.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

yeah the levy as GM and Jauron as coach was another sad chapter in the Ralph Wilson ownership book, and there were many

Saban, Knox, Polian, Wade Phillips, Butler (GM) - these succesful ones, and there were not many, all were fired and created an immediate and rapid downward spiral that took years to recover if at all...sigh...

thanks for brining and keeping the team in Buffalo Ralph, that trumps a lot of crap you put us thru otherwise...sigh

Saban was not fired, he quit twice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dick we hardly knew ye! Where has 12 years gone!

He was doomed from day one. This was when Buffalo Fired coaches every two year and nobody in their right mind would come to Buffalo.

You know, kind of like the Lions and Jets

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.