Dick Jauron fired 12 years ago today

Buffalo Boy

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

In forty + years of watching this team there have been two periods where I tapped out and didn’t watch because it was unwatchable.

The first was the Kay Stephenson/Hank Bullough era. The second was the end of the Jerkron era.

I remember GM Marv talking about the smart Ivy Hire and realizing that our ownership, front office and head coach were a laughing stock in the NFL.

While the Jauron era wasn’t as bad record wise it was a hopeless time , especially in ‘08-‘09.

As we are here in the middle of a SB window, at a time when almost every legit contending team took a bad loss to a bad team, it is a GREAT time to be a hope filled Bills fan.

There are some good teams in the league this year but no great ones. We are one of the good ones and we are capable of beating all the other good ones!

The Pats are coming? Good

Do I believe in this D? Yep

Is Allen the only good Beane pick? A question that negates that age old adage: There is no such thing as a stupid question.

We need three things in equal measure the rest of this year: Luck, Health and to peak at the right time as a team. Let’s enjoy the ride while we can.

The Jauron hire was sooooo bad.  I remember that after the Bills started something like 5-1, Ralph Wilson jumped at the chance to sign him to a contract extension.  But immediately after the tram took a nosedive and fans soured on Jauron, so the Bills never publicly acknowledged the extension LOL

This is when my frustration with the team started.  Every fan knew that Jauron wasn’t competent enough and should be fired, but penny-pincher Ralph didn’t want to eat the cost of his contract.  Ugh.  Bad ownership.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I think @C.Biscuit97 is still upset, he favorably compared Jauron to Belichick. :( 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did he really???

Speaking of that dude...he sure up and left this joint when Josh Allen became great and the Bills became relevant, didn't he?  Loser.

• Haha (+1) 2

Jaurons biggest issue (Imo) was whatever happened in between 08 and 09. He fired the oc like a week before the season and then the oc (I forget is name) said jauron wanted a pop Warner offense. Instill think trent Edwards could've been a decent qb, but that 09 season was just garbage and if I remember correctly, they had like 14 starters on injured reserve. 

Jauron wasn't the worst Bills' HC but he was most hated by me (except maybe Rex).  He would be maddeningly conservative on offense and defense, designed to beat bad teams and get blown out by good teams (hence 7-9, 7-9, etc. etc.).  Was there a signature win against a good team his entire tenure?  If there was, I can't think of it.  One year under Jauron, we were something like 30th in offense and 30th in defense, yet conservative playcalling and great special teams got us to - you guessed it - 7-9!  

Going back to Whitner - Cargo, not only was Ngata available but instead of Cargo, we could have picked Nick Mangold.  OL and DL would have had their respective anchors for 10 years plus.

It is helpful at times like this to remember times like the Dick Jauron era.

Reminds you of how good we have it now.

For those too young to remember, this is pretty much how it felt when we rose to stardom the last time in the late '80s.  That led to 4 Super Bowls.  

Keep your fingers crossed! 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

In forty + years of watching this team there have been two periods where I tapped out and didn’t watch because it was unwatchable.

The first was the Kay Stephenson/Hank Bullough era. The second was the end of the Jerkron era.

I remember GM Marv talking about the smart Ivy Hire and realizing that our ownership, front office and head coach were a laughing stock in the NFL.

While the Jauron era wasn’t as bad record wise it was a hopeless time , especially in ‘08-‘09.

As we are here in the middle of a SB window, at a time when almost every legit contending team took a bad loss to a bad team, it is a GREAT time to be a hope filled Bills fan.

There are some good teams in the league this year but no great ones. We are one of the good ones and we are capable of beating all the other good ones!

The Pats are coming? Good

Do I believe in this D? Yep

Is Allen the only good Beane pick? A question that negates that age old adage: There is no such thing as a stupid question.

We need three things in equal measure the rest of this year: Luck, Health and to peak at the right time as a team. Let’s enjoy the ride while we can.

I see how much your truly enjoyed Jauron if you started a thread here still celebrating and remembering the day he was fired 12 years later 😝

I def get it though.  I still recall the date of my 1st Bills game September 25, 2011 vs the Patriots and started a thread not that long ago here on the 10 year anniversary of it.  It was a pretty good game too lol.  

• Haha (+1) 1

The Dick Jauron era was the first, and only time in my years as a Bills fan (which start when I was about 7, in 1972) that I ever seriously considered not watching any more...I loathed those years. If Terrell Owens one season in Buffalo was mostly forgettable, I will always feel a debt of gratitude for him for being the first, and only plahyer to publicly question WTF they were doing on offense.   He spoke out, and Jauron was canned that week.  TO's best Bills highlight.   

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

This was probably the all-time low for me during the drought years...this was well before Terry Pegula emerged out of nowhere and I often wondered/worried about the possibility of the Bills leaving Buffalo before ever turning around the ship.  It's pretty surreal to see where we are right now as a franchise thinking back to those days.

Yeah I get that.  The low point for me came week 3 or 4 against the Jets in 2010 in OP the next year.  We lost 38-14 but it really wasn't even that close.

Joe and Evan both big Jets fans who had a sports talk show here in the area at the time were pretty much saying how bad they felt for Bills fans as the on field product was really bad and relocation seemed eminent.  

Kind of ironic it's the reverse today between the Jets and Bills.  I kind of feel bad for the Jets....   nobody on the team now I dislike or makes my blood boil.  Expect for maybe some of their fans 🤣

Edited by Another Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jauron clearly was not the answer and needed to go -- but I do not believe he was nearly as bad as everyone remembers.

Recall that he took over a team that was devoid of talent in 2006 with JP Losman as his starting QB for all 16 games -- and STILL found a way to get the team to 7-9. The following year, I believe that the Bills set a franchise record for the most players on IR -- and he managed again with the revolving door of Losman and rookie Trent Edwards at QB to get the team to 7-9. We can all look back at the foolhardiness of the 2008 extension -- but after two seasons of overachieving followed by a hot 5-1 start in 2008, the extension made relative sense at the time.

I would say that Jauron was a good coach for a bad football team. That is, his overly conservative coaching style minimized risks and hid an overabundance of warts -- and kept the team close in games they had no business winning. The problem, of course, was that he simply was not good enough to ever take the team to the next level and allowed Bill B. to bend him over time after time. He also was stubborn about his schemes and slow to make changes when they needed to be made. One thing to remember is that the week after Jauran was fired and Perry Fewell took over, it was Fewell who benched Marshawn in favor of Fred and Trent in favor of Fitz. Those were moves that were a long time coming that Jauron had failed to make.

• Eyeroll 1

yeah the levy as GM and Jauron as coach was another sad chapter in the Ralph Wilson ownership book, and there were many

Saban, Knox, Polian, Wade Phillips, Butler (GM) - these succesful ones, and there were not many, all were fired and created an immediate and rapid downward spiral that took years to recover if at all...sigh...

thanks for brining and keeping the team in Buffalo Ralph, that trumps a lot of crap you put us thru otherwise...sigh

6 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Jauron clearly was not the answer and needed to go -- but I do not believe he was nearly as bad as everyone remembers.

Recall that he took over a team that was devoid of talent in 2006 with JP Losman as his starting QB for all 16 games -- and STILL found a way to get the team to 7-9. The following year, I believe that the Bills set a franchise record for the most players on IR -- and he managed again with the revolving door of Losman and rookie Trent Edwards at QB to get the team to 7-9. We can all look back at the foolhardiness of the 2008 extension -- but after two seasons of overachieving followed by a hot 5-1 start in 2008, the extension made relative sense at the time.

I would say that Jauron was a good coach for a bad football team. That is, his overly conservative coaching style minimized risks and hid an overabundance of warts -- and kept the team close in games they had no business winning. The problem, of course, was that he simply was not good enough to ever take the team to the next level and allowed Bill B. to bend him over time after time. He also was stubborn about his schemes and slow to make changes when they needed to be made. One thing to remember is that the week after Jauran was fired and Perry Fewell took over, it was Fewell who benched Marshawn in favor of Fred and Trent in favor of Fitz. Those were moves that were a long time coming that Jauron had failed to make.

I still recall that game the next week against the Dolphins after Dick J got fired.  Honestly a top 10 drought game for me.

I recall Fitz hitting T.O deep in the game for a TD where Jauron would have never made that play call.  

Ultimately they won that day on very anti-Jauron play calling in the 4th quarter.  It was like a massive celebration 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I recall Fitz hitting T.O deep in the game for a TD where Jauron would have never made that play call.  

That wasn't the play call - Fitz saw single coverage on TO and called an audible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.