Dick Jauron fired 12 years ago today

Buffalo Boy

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I remember it pretty clearly. It was after the most disgusting game of professional football I've ever witnessed. The 6-3 embarrassing loss to the Browns. I looked over to my best friend who's also a fan and said, if he doesn't get fired after this I have no hope for this franchise. 

I've been to 276 NFL games (262 Bills games) and the 6-3 loss to Cleveland on 10/11/09 was the worst game I've ever been to.  I was glad Roscoe Parrish fumbled late in the 4th quarter so that Cleveland could kick the winning FG & I could go home.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He was doomed from day one. This was when Buffalo Fired coaches every two year and nobody in their right mind would come to Buffalo.

You know, kind of like the Lions and Jets

Fired???

Mularkey quit an NFLhead coaching job…… CRAZY TALK.

And then Marrone did too😳

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

They could have drated Ngata over Whitner. or Orakpo over Maybin and none of it wouldnt have mattered a thing with Jp Losman, Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm, and Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB.

A lot of bad coaches look good because of great quarterbacks.    IMO Jauron was a better coach than Chan, but his tepid personality just made it unbearable. 

I think that Jauron and Gailey were basically the same coach on different sides of the ball.

Both were competent on one side of the ball but completely clueless on the other.  

I would argue that Jauron and Gailey were poor leaders that couldn’t seem to hire quality assistants.  

The coaches of the drought era all seem the same to me. I’ve never understood the fan dislike of Jauron. He wasn’t the most exciting guy, but the results were the same with the others. I was never more or less entertained with different coaches during the drought era, losing stinks, and it’s rarely entertaining to me. I just love having a good team building new memories right now. I think too many drought era figures are unfairly vilified, while other mediocre talents from that era are given sainthood by fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

Jauron was the least passionate coach in Bills history. He thought he was cerebral, like Marv, but Marv had visible passion, (ie you overofficiate jerk).

When passionate leadership was required, he went to sleep.

He is the sole reason I gave up season tickets after 17 yrs. 

When Vince Woolfork laughs in your face and your response is nothing....except to take another Valium, time to leave. 

Co ordination maybe HC, never.

Like many upthread, I couldn’t stand him as our coach, for many many reasons. But check out this interesting BN article (paywall but I was able to read it as a freebie) from back when he orig retired from coaching and moved back to his Mass hometown—one man’s (or many?) trash is another man’s treasure they say, and no different with DJ…quite a formative back story, everyone speaking very highly of him, and especially HS exploits on the gridiron where he had the wherewithal to signal a timeout while in the process of falling midair at the end of a championship game at the 1 so they could punch it in on the final play to win…

In summary, if Hank Hill was a real person, his name would be Dickie Jauron! 🤠

https://buffalonews.com/opinion/editorial/jauron-ever-the-humble-hero-returns-to-his-hometown/article_66061228-8c04-5f2b-b8d2-12dbaba917a3.html

12 hours ago, uninja said:

There's plenty to hate about Jauron, but he did what he could with the lemons he had. 

Jauron did himself no favors personnel-wise going secondary and defense when the NFL was transitioning to a throwing league.  He had a strong voice in personnel matters with a (RIP) apathetic Tom Modrak and out of his element Marv Levy.  

11 hours ago, Logic said:

Has anyone mentioned in this thread yet that Jauron once won NFL Head Coach of the Year?!

That seems made up, but it's true!

Go review the games from that 2001 season.  The bounces Chicago got that year were incredible.  See Brown, Mike returning an INT in OT to win one game.  

And in true DJ fashion, they were 8-1 in one score games.  

9 hours ago, Steptide said:

Jaurons biggest issue (Imo) was whatever happened in between 08 and 09. He fired the oc like a week before the season and then the oc (I forget is name) said jauron wanted a pop Warner offense. Instill think trent Edwards could've been a decent qb, but that 09 season was just garbage and if I remember correctly, they had like 14 starters on injured reserve. 

Turk Schonert (RIP) was the only guy DJ could hire when it was clear his tenure as Bills HC was in doubt.  Remember, Buffalo went 2-8 to close out the 2008 season and it's pretty clear he was on thin ice.  In fact, at the end of 2008, the Bills circle of trust (Ralph, Littman, Brandon, and I think Overdorf) gathered to determine DJ's status.  On the day Mike Shanahan was fired as Broncos HC despite going 8-8, the Bills chose to retain DJ.

Of course, Schonert wanted to feature an up-tempo offense, while DJ favored a bend but don't break defense.  It was a terrible match and spoke to how disorganized offenses were in those years.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Remember the badly photoshopped team photo....

2009 Buffalo Bills.jpg

Forgot all about that.

Wish I had the personalized season ticket renewal poster where Moorman is punting out of his own EZ against the Browns in that 6-3 loss when Derek Anderson completed 2 of 17 passes.  

12 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

I was at that last game in Tennessee. Chris Johnson destroyed the Bills. Great trip to Nashville though!

12 years where does the time go.

I was there too. Great city and wonderful trip (minus the Billsy 2000’s performance). I hope I am allowed back into Tootsies bar by now! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Actually thought he was a great defensive coach for the Jets for a couple years before things soured…. He was a train wreck here though. Just straight up lazy approach to everything…. Until they played the Jets or Patriots you could tell he put the effort in that week.

He was for a period a good defensive mind. But even when he had good Jets teams I couldn't stand him. If he is what your team strives to represent you are on the wrong path IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.