Dick Jauron fired 12 years ago today

Buffalo Boy

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Ive been embarrassed by the Bills a few times over the years but never as embarrassed and angry as I was after the Pats total destruction (56-10) of the Bills in Dick Jauron's 2007 season. Jauron not only got beaten but also was completely humiliated. The pats kept going for two to rub it in and Jauron just had that 10 000  yard stare. One of the worst coaches in Bills history and so glad he's gone!

I was at that game.

For some reason, I was actually EXCITED because the game had been flexed to Sunday night. Woohoo! Sunday Night Football in Buffalo!

The only problem was that JP Losman was our quarterback, Jauron was our head coach, and the team on the opposite sideline was the 2007 Patriots.

My most distinct memories from the game are Randy Moss scoring four first half touchdowns (!!!?!!!!), Belichick going for it on 4th down late in the game when already up by over 35 points, and Jauron kicking a late game field goal for reasons that I still can't figure out.

As miserable as it was to sit through, now I look back on it and think it was pretty cool to get to see a Hall of Famer in his prime catching four first half touchdown passes. I didn't think it was so cool that night, though...

• Like (+1) 1

They could have drated Ngata over Whitner. or Orakpo over Maybin and none of it wouldnt have mattered a thing with Jp Losman, Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm, and Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB.

A lot of bad coaches look good because of great quarterbacks.    IMO Jauron was a better coach than Chan, but his tepid personality just made it unbearable. 

• Agree 1

I'm wrong about many (most) things but I remember that dark day when jauron was hired and I said to a buddy, that's it for at least 3 years, no point even watching. It was so obvious to pretty much everyone except the Bills. 

7-9. 7-9. 7-9.

The guy wasn't even good at sucking as we were always not quite bad enough to get a really great draft pick.

I understood why they hired him, because they wanted someone to come in and steady the ***** with a calm personality that the players would respect, but Jauron was so calming that he must have put the guys to sleep in team meetings

• Like (+1) 1

This was probably the all-time low for me during the drought years...this was well before Terry Pegula emerged out of nowhere and I often wondered/worried about the possibility of the Bills leaving Buffalo before ever turning around the ship.  It's pretty surreal to see where we are right now as a franchise thinking back to those days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ah yes, the 5-1 start...

BILLS EXTEND DICK JAURON

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 26, 2008, 1:22 PM EDT

The Bills are one of the surprise teams in the NFL this season, sitting atop the AFC East with a 5-1 record. Now coach Dick Jauron has been rewarded.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Bills and Jauron have agreed on a three-year contract extension that will keep Jauron in Buffalo through 2011.

The 2008 season was the final year of Jauron’s current deal, which means we could have had the unusual situation of a playoff coach becoming a free agent after the season. But now the Bills have made sure Jauron won’t be going anywhere any time soon.

Share this:

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, uninja said:

There's plenty to hate about Jauron, but he did what he could with the lemons he had. 

For sure. Jauron took the brunt of the blame, and certainly he was in over his head coaching against the likes of Belichick, but the organization was a mess from the top on down back then.

And the “talent” we had on the field back then? Yikes. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.