Chad Hall, even more impressed with him

Hapless Bills Fan

18 hours ago, sherpa said:

Not really that great of a job.

It poses more questions.

How does a guy get four years of elite college education at taxpayer's expense, and serve only two years of active duty?

In the old days, before a change which allowed Service Secretaries to rule on this kind of thing, Roger Staubach fulfilled his commitment.

David Robinson, NBA for all non basketball fans, got a sketchy waiver as he grew too much during his Naval Academy days to permit him to serve in various capacities.

The service academies have been allowed various advantages to permit them to recruit in order to compete at D1 level, like not having to abide by the scholarship totals.

Still, I have never heard of a service academy grad getting out after only two years without some other issue.

The usual commitment is five years active duty and three years reserve, for eight years total.

Chad is a year younger than me so I assume me and him enlisted around the same time, the only thing I can think of for him getting out after 2 was possibly a national call to service contract, they were handing those out pretty heavily around the time I enlisted and we had a lot of people at our base on 2 year contracts. I don't know if officers were allowed to get those contracts though, so it is very possible there were other issues that lead to him getting out after 2.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:20 AM, sherpa said:

He served two years as a Second Lt. on active duty in a maintenance organization.

That is the most junior commissioned officer rank in the AF.

Great guy and seemingly great coach, but he didn't "lead a squadron."

It always amazes me how these guys get off active duty so fast.

Why are you taking a dig at the guy?

My mama said "if you don't have anything nice to say about someone don't say anything at all" 

I think this applies here.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Not sure where you got the idea I was in the Marine Corps.

Oh well.

The only point I was trying to make was that service academy grads, or any other commissioned officers, incur active duty obligations far beyond two years, including athletic scholarship folks, and second lieutenants don't "command" squadrons.

The Air Force uses the term "squadron" on a much broader basis than the other services, but that's not important.

The rules used to be strictly enforced, but in the recent past they have allowed those people to apply for waivers. This was done to remain competitive at the D1 level, but not guaranteed.

I have never heard of any individual being released after just two year, unless there was a medical condition, so I thought there must be more to the story, ie., a reserve commitment that wasn't mentioned in either the link or the Wiki info.

I'm happy for him and pleased that he is successful.

That's it.

My bad, bro.  I got you mixed up with Bferra13.  Oh well.  I know Marines get at least mildly offended when they're mistaken for others, but not so much the rest of us I think. 

I know the point you're making and it's totally valid, which I should have mentioned previously.  But it's college athletics and we all know that system is ripe with suspicious practices.  My wife went to Virginia Tech when Mike Vick was there.  He was actually in one of her classes.  Or at least that what the school officially said.  But of course he only actually showed up for maybe 2 classes, yet somehow passed with no problems.  Hmm......

So it's no surprise the service academies have some shady-type policies now.  I remember "The Admiral" when he was doing his service and how that went.  He actually went to a high school just across town from mine (I went to Osbourn in the city and he went to Osbourn Park in the county).  It all comes down to how special you are I guess because, ultimately, if you can get a US Senator to "make a call", you get some really special treatment.  Who knows how many of those have been made for some of these athletes.  And yes, it's a another waste of taxpayer dollars but don't get me started on that conversation.  I'll go on forever.

Anyway, sorry for the mix-up.  And I should have mentioned before that your point is definitely valid.  I'm actually surprised a bit at this guy getting out so early myself, considering he wasn't one of the biggest names in NCAA football.  But then it's not who you are, it's who you know.

BTW, my dad was a Navy corpsman.  Hence me being born in San Diego at Balboa.  Nothing wrong with the Navy, I just don't like the idea of being on a boat so far from land for so long.  Turns out the Army was a good fit for me.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

17 hours ago, sherpa said:

I am not interested in taking it up with anybody.

What you wrote comes across to several as critical of him and wanting to take it up.  Just for your own calibration purposes, no salesman will call.

Nowhere does it state that he did so, or is doing so, and he clearly was not a highly recruited high schooler, as it states in the original that he was only offered by service academies.  It used to be that the requirement was enforced.

Not AF, and not service academies, but Back in Da Day I knew some children of Well Connected People who got 4 years of free ride at an Ivy on ROTC scholarship and never served active duty.  In fact the service paid for one of them to attend law school.  Now they may have had some reserve commitment which they fulfilled somehow, but no one knew about that.  This woulda been back in the '80s

I don't think a Wiki that reads as though written by a football agent, is concerned with the fine points of his military commitment.

It's just something I have never heard of, and if the facts are simply those that are presented in this thread, it is a very bad financial idea for our services.

Can't disagree there, but life isn't fair. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What you wrote comes across to several as critical of him and wanting to take it up.  Just for your own calibration purposes, no salesman will call.

I'm not interested in whether "any salesman will call."

Not in the least.

To the point, is it "critical of him" to bring up questions regarding the claims in your first post?

There was a bit of misinformation in that, and it caused me to look at the situation, because it made no sense.

A statement of fact is, in no way, any critique on his active duty.

Great for the guy. No issue from me. Couldn't be happier for him.

The narrative then became, as it often does, some false perception.

The point is that nobody serves only two years after an academy graduate commission wherein a guy's four years are paid for along with room and board and a modest monthly stipend for other expenses, and I was wondering if he had fulfilled some kind of reserve commitment.

I am quite aware of how these waivers are granted, and it would never happen in the other two services, if that's all there is to the story.

No problem at all with our receivers coach.

On 11/17/2021 at 3:20 AM, sherpa said:

He served two years as a Second Lt. on active duty in a maintenance organization.

That is the most junior commissioned officer rank in the AF.

Great guy and seemingly great coach, but he didn't "lead a squadron."

It always amazes me how these guys get off active duty so fast.

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm not interested in whether "any salesman will call."

Not in the least.

To the point, is it "critical of him" to bring up questions regarding the claims in your first post?

There was a bit of misinformation in that, and it caused me to look at the situation, because it made no sense.

A statement of fact is, in no way, any critique on his active duty.

Great for the guy. No issue from me. Couldn't be happier for him.

The narrative then became, as it often does, some false perception.

The point is that nobody serves only two years after an academy graduate commission wherein a guy's four years are paid for along with room and board and a modest monthly stipend for other expenses, and I was wondering if he had fulfilled some kind of reserve commitment.

I am quite aware of how these waivers are granted, and it would never happen in the other two services, if that's all there is to the story.

No problem at all with our receivers coach.

Your first 3 sentences in that post seem very critical with the intent to undermine his claim. How else do you expect people to take it? It's obvious that you have an issue with it.

To be clear, his claim also comes off as disingenuous to me. I was enlisted AF for 7 years, 1 in reserve, and was around plenty of 2Lts. I know none of them truly lead anything, lol. Granted, I don't doubt that a guy like Chad Hall probably stood out amongst his peers and may have been more apt for leadership roles.

That said, if you were just curious, you could've simply said something like "how did he get out after only 2 years?" Or "I wonder if he had to be on reserve status for a while?" 

52 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Your first 3 sentences in that post seem very critical with the intent to undermine his claim. How else do you expect people to take it? It's obvious that you have an issue with it.

To be clear, his claim also comes off as disingenuous to me. I was enlisted AF for 7 years, 1 in reserve, and was around plenty of 2Lts. I know none of them truly lead anything, lol. Granted, I don't doubt that a guy like Chad Hall probably stood out amongst his peers and may have been more apt for leadership roles.

That said, if you were just curious, you could've simply said something like "how did he get out after only 2 years?" Or "I wonder if he had to be on reserve status for a while?" 

You quoted two posts, and then referred to the first three sentences "in that post."

Since you quoted two I'm not sure which one you were referring two.

It seems like the first.

If so, those three sentences are accurate.

2 minutes ago, sherpa said:

You quoted two posts, and then referred to the first three sentences "in that post."

Since you quoted two I'm not sure which one you were referring two.

It seems like the first.

If so, those three sentences are accurate.

It's so confusing, I know...

They are pretty accurate and I acknowledged their accuracy. But their intent is to undermine Chad Hall's claim. You clearly had an issue with it, despite your claim to the contrary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.