Chad Hall, even more impressed with him

Hapless Bills Fan

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

He served two years as a Second Lt. on active duty in a maintenance organization.

That is the most junior commissioned officer rank in the AF.

Great guy and seemingly great coach, but he didn't "lead a squadron."

It always amazes me how these guys get off active duty so fast.

Great job, Sherpa!

41 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Great job, Sherpa!

Not really that great of a job.

It poses more questions.

How does a guy get four years of elite college education at taxpayer's expense, and serve only two years of active duty?

In the old days, before a change which allowed Service Secretaries to rule on this kind of thing, Roger Staubach fulfilled his commitment.

David Robinson, NBA for all non basketball fans, got a sketchy waiver as he grew too much during his Naval Academy days to permit him to serve in various capacities.

The service academies have been allowed various advantages to permit them to recruit in order to compete at D1 level, like not having to abide by the scholarship totals.

Still, I have never heard of a service academy grad getting out after only two years without some other issue.

The usual commitment is five years active duty and three years reserve, for eight years total.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

WR coaches don’t always transition smoothly to coordinator, especially if he doesn’t have a full grasp of run game concepts. I don’t know if he does or not. 

Do any of our offensive coaches have a “FULL” grasp of run game concepts?  asking for a friend…, 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had not realized that Hall served on active duty for several years.  I guess if you can lead a squadron of 300 people, a dozen diva-personality WR present a manageable challenge.

Integrity first

Service before self

Excellence in all you do

Really comes across why so many of his vet WR think so highly of him

Only a matter of time before he gets a shot as an OC.  If Frazier or Daboll or get a HC, I can see them bringing Chad with them.  Everyone has good things to say about him 

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

He served two years as a Second Lt. on active duty in a maintenance organization.

I guess you'd want to take it up with him on the front of "integrity first" then, since I believe that's accurately what he said.

As far as the service committment

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/13/new-policy-eases-army-navy-air-force-players-path-to-the-nfl/

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

How does a guy get four years of elite college education at taxpayer's expense, and serve only two years of active duty?

In the old days, before a change which allowed Service Secretaries to rule on this kind of thing, Roger Staubach fulfilled his commitment.

David Robinson, NBA for all non basketball fans, got a sketchy waiver as he grew too much during his Naval Academy days to permit him to serve in various capacities.

The service academies have been allowed various advantages to permit them to recruit in order to compete at D1 level, like not having to abide by the scholarship totals.

Still, I have never heard of a service academy grad getting out after only two years without some other issue.

The usual commitment is five years active duty and three years reserve, for eight years total.

Changed in 2016, see above.  Happened on a case by case basis before that. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

It poses more questions.

Life isn't fair...

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess you'd want to take it up with him on the front of "integrity first" then, since I believe that's accurately what he said.

Most officers think they're more important than they really are 😉

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As far as the service committment

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/13/new-policy-eases-army-navy-air-force-players-path-to-the-nfl/

Changed in 2016, see above.  Happened on a case by case basis before that. 

I am not interested in taking it up with anybody.

The link you provided informs that academy graduates can serve in the reserves to fulfill their service obligation.

Nowhere does it state that he did so, or is doing so, and he clearly was not a highly recruited high schooler, as it states in the original that he was only offered by service academies.

It used to be that the requirement was enforced.

Later, as it became obvious that in order to recruit top talent and stay in D1, the service academies would consider waivers. Many are in consideration now. 

I have served with many, and have never heard of anyone released after a single two year tour.

Great for him.

No issue here.

It's just something I have never heard of, and if the facts are simply those that are presented in this thread, it is a very bad financial idea for our services.

13 hours ago, sherpa said:

Which Branch did you serve under?

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

On a funny note, this is Chad’s sister

This response:

🔥🔥

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yikes a pretzel 🥨 

If it were a well-salted pretzel, and if the guy she threw it at was very sensitive to wheat allergens....

....it could be assault with a deadly weapon

I'm here all week, Tip your Server

• Haha (+1) 3

17 hours ago, sherpa said:

It poses more questions.

Former Army MP here.  Born in a Navy hospital actually, and known many Marines throughout my life.  Just remember, Sherpa, the only people that are really impressed with your USMC cynicism are your fellow Marines (enlisted mostly).   When I read your words here I get the distinct feeling of being in some bar in Jacksonville, NC or similar having a few cold ones with a couple testosterone-laden dudes with really short haircuts, if you catch my drift.   It just doesn't go over the same with the rest of the population, civilian or otherwise.  I mean we all know you dogs are the tough guys of the services, we know.  No need to rub it in further. 

(Smiley face wink)

20 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Former Army MP here.  Born in a Navy hospital actually, and known many Marines throughout my life.  Just remember, Sherpa, the only people that are really impressed with your USMC cynicism are your fellow Marines (enlisted mostly).   When I read your words here I get the distinct feeling of being in some bar in Jacksonville, NC or similar having a few cold ones with a couple testosterone-laden dudes with really short haircuts, if you catch my drift.   It just doesn't go over the same with the rest of the population, civilian or otherwise.  I mean we all know you dogs are the tough guys of the services, we know.  No need to rub it in further. 

(Smiley face wink)

Not sure where you got the idea I was in the Marine Corps.

Oh well.

The only point I was trying to make was that service academy grads, or any other commissioned officers, incur active duty obligations far beyond two years, including athletic scholarship folks, and second lieutenants don't "command" squadrons.

The Air Force uses the term "squadron" on a much broader basis than the other services, but that's not important.

The rules used to be strictly enforced, but in the recent past they have allowed those people to apply for waivers. This was done to remain competitive at the D1 level, but not guaranteed.

I have never heard of any individual being released after just two year, unless there was a medical condition, so I thought there must be more to the story, ie., a reserve commitment that wasn't mentioned in either the link or the Wiki info.

I'm happy for him and pleased that he is successful.

That's it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.