Jets sign Rachad Wildgoose off the PS

JohnNord

Remember, Wildgoose didn't have to sign with the Jets if he didn't want to.  Clearly, he saw an opportunity to get an NFL paycheck versus a practice squad paycheck, and have an opportunity to get on the field.   I can't blame him.  It may be a bad team, but it's a chance to play.  It's not so different from David Culley jumping at the chance to be head coach for the dumpster fire known as the Houston Texans.  I don't think it's a given that playing for a bad team like the Jets is a death sentence for his future career.  I do think that if Saleh can't show the start of a turnaround next year, that coach/GM regime may not survive to gain a third season.  That will mean another roster teardown.  Wildgoose, if he's still with the team in 2022 might be looking for somewhere to go after that.  Inn the mean time, maybe hegets a chance to generate a little game tape to aid in his future job search.

12 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I guess he really wants to play. So much so that he’d do anything like sign with the Jets. 

Putting aside the QB issue, which I'm not sure they've solved (maybe they have), the Jets have a solid roster, they just have so many guys out injured they look like crap on the field.   If the Bills had that many key guys out (eg, QB, #1 WR, LT, starting secondary, etc) we'd look like crap on the field too.  

48 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Putting aside the QB issue, which I'm not sure they've solved (maybe they have), the Jets have a solid roster, they just have so many guys out injured they look like crap on the field.   If the Bills had that many key guys out (eg, QB, #1 WR, LT, starting secondary, etc) we'd look like crap on the field too.  

I would not describe it as solid. I would say it is better than it looks. Becton, Carl Lawson and Maye now all being out is probably their three best players and that does hurt, no doubt. But especially on defense they still only have 4 or 5 players who would start for any of the other 31 teams. There are 5 or 6 guys starting on that D who have no place starting in the NFL. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would not describe it as solid. I would say it is better than it looks. Becton, Carl Lawson and Maye now all being out is probably their three best players and that does hurt, no doubt. But especially on defense they still only have 4 or 5 players who would start for any of the other 31 teams. There are 5 or 6 guys starting on that D who have no place starting in the NFL. 

The problem with this is, all those guys are question marks as well…  

Becton is a massive human being who literally cannot stay on the field.  

Lawson has now had 3 major injuries in the span of 7 years.  

Marcus Maye wants out on the first bus out of town. 

When your a good team with a deep roster these things happen.

Good for Wildgoose that he gets to play in the NFL but it sucks that he goes to the Jets.

55 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I feel sorry for the Goose, 4 new head coaches in the next 5 years

Sally is going to be there at least 3 years if not longer.

13 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe Beane will start poaching from team’s practice squads….hint, hint

But then we have to drop somebody from the 40 man roster and keep the PS pickup there.  IF we think that the worse guy on our 40 man roster is better or more useful than anybody on all the NFL  practice squads, then we become worse if we pouched somebody.

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The problem with this is, all those guys are question marks as well…  

Becton is a massive human being who literally cannot stay on the field.  

Lawson has now had 3 major injuries in the span of 7 years.  

Marcus Maye wants out on the first bus out of town. 

There are question marks on them, that is true. But those question marks are not ability. 

7 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Remember, Wildgoose didn't have to sign with the Jets if he didn't want to.  Clearly, he saw an opportunity to get an NFL paycheck versus a practice squad paycheck, and have an opportunity to get on the field.   I can't blame him.  It may be a bad team, but it's a chance to play.  It's not so different from David Culley jumping at the chance to be head coach for the dumpster fire known as the Houston Texans.  I don't think it's a given that playing for a bad team like the Jets is a death sentence for his future career.  I do think that if Saleh can't show the start of a turnaround next year, that coach/GM regime may not survive to gain a third season.  That will mean another roster teardown.  Wildgoose, if he's still with the team in 2022 might be looking for somewhere to go after that.  Inn the mean time, maybe hegets a chance to generate a little game tape to aid in his future job search.

Likely short-term gain, long-term loss.  It will be interesting to see how it works out for him. 

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can the player refuse to be signed?   Dumb question, but I’d rather stay with the Bills with a legit shot of making the team next year than go to the Jets

Yes but he is making some good money and gaining more exposure experience.

Wildgoose signed a 1 year contract with the Jets.  He will be a FA if he is still on the Jets main roster at the end of the season.

He could come back to the Bills next year if both parties want that to happen.  I see a chance that might happen.

• Like (+1) 1

This just goes to show that this is a new era in the NFL.   We essentially lost two of our draft picks from this year, AFTER investing time, reps , not to mention we could have possibly made a couple of moves if we figured by the beginning of the year they would be perpetually on the PS squad.  This is more thought / suggestion that hanging onto later round draft picks for the following year has little value as we essentially lost 2 pics now for no compensation. This adds more weight to the fact that if Beane had any chance to add value before the trade deadline, just as the Rams gm explained , holding on to those future late pics when you already have most of your roster filled out makes little sense compared to getting a player with known value.  

So perhaps we could have added some ol prospect, or even another dl prospect  given zimmers situation.  People criticized the rams saying they had few if any picks next year in the draft when in fact they have 8 picks already and will prob get more with comp pics.  We are at a similar stage in team development; we have our solid , young core, and just sitting on those future pics guarantees nothing.  We should be doing things like dumping Ford ( obvious his Bills career is over in the long run) , and using some pics to try to correct weaknesses for THIS YEARS SB run!  if there is one thing that I feel is still a weakness with our staff, it’s roster management of the lower part of the roster. Breida showed this week how speed makes a difference.  His two tds probably don’t happen with the lack of comparable speed from motor / moss. He ran and broke away thru small holes in those opportunities ( yes, the pass route required his speed to break open for the passing window)  given for a two td gsme, which makes you wonder what might have been if he was used more , esp in Jax where the other backs did nothing as an example ! 

Losing two players in just one half of a season , meaning their draft pics netted zero,  seems like very poor roster management at this point in the Mcd and Beane regime!  Just because we have a good team doesn’t excuse losing players / essentially picks , for NOTHING!  I am not an expert , but the fact that our roster is being picked / poached , while other teams like the rams , cowboys, cards , packers ( teams with equally good rosters and records ) are not getting players taken for no return , makes me think we are not managing the roster the best way.  It’s not because we are just so overflowing with talent , because our record doesn’t show that , and we have a below avg o line just for one example.  It’s about who Mcd continues to be willing to expose. Hey , cleveland  has a pro bowl guard thanks to roster / talent evaluation mistakes. Did we ever explore trading someone like wildgoose,given he was destined to just be exposed every week on the PS?  Maybe try getting an o lineman for a couple picks , like 5 th , 6 th , and seeing if we could get a 6 th or 7 th for guys who were never going to see the field this year?  I am just thinking out loud , we have lost two players / pics this year for NOTHING. Time for Beane to reevaluate cherishing all his pics and reevaluating who we leave exposed ( I mean cbs, ol always seem to be in demand) and it shows it makes ,little sense holding on to future pics while you are in the run for HF / SB.   Couple that with Brieda / boogie almost always being inactive, IMHO our roster management continues to be an area of concern esp when our 3 conference losses had coaching / roster/ adjustment issues.  Not making any moves to address areas of weakness at the trade deadline just to hold onto late draft picks  now seems silly when we have given two picks away for nothing so far this year !  Just a different way to look at things;  throwing out some ideas and wonder if guys here have other creative solutions. Seems like we could manage this better than losing players for nothing in return. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.