Beasley’s future

Virgil

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Cole is hobbled again this year.  He hasn't been Cole.  He has also dropped a drive stalling pass or two.  Good teams release players a year or two before they lose too much of what they are.  Im not sure if Cole is at that point yet but with the beating he takes and his age I would bet he is close to that point.  I like Beasley and maybe the Bills keep him for another year or two, but I don't see him retiring here.

One team is known for jettisoning players a year or two early.  And if you now add in the Brady exodus, you could say it is to mixed results.

The Rams aren't avoiding the older stars.

The Bills are trying for a formula that has them be an excellent team for a long time.  That is with process guys.  If it weren't for Covid, Beas would be a prime example of what the process is all about.  The guy gives everything, and yes he will play while hurt.  You bring in an understudy before you let JA's security blanket go.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He has the 3rd highest catch % in the league, singlehandedly kept the offense going in the second half of the Miami game, and has made clutch catches all year. Yeah, he dropped a sure catch in the Jax game that would have kept a drive alive and put them  in Jax territory - but those plays have been rare for Beasley.

I just said it because the post I quoted talked about Davis drop as if Cole hasn't done the same thing.  Its not because I think Cole drops too many balls.  Again, I am of the opinion that if the Bills keep Beasley then ok.  If they don't then ok. I believe its good practice to move on from players before they are totally tanked.  Beasley is getting there so I wouldn't have a problem if the Bills moved on.  Thats all.

Nearly every player gets dinged up throughout the season 

it’s a violent sport 

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

but Beas has been getting injured more frequently and the fact is we can save some money if we let him go next year.  

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Interior Offensive Line is a glaring need on this team, and we could probably use another quality cornerback, but I'd let Oliver play out his contract and Franchise Tag him if you have to. Unless he is willing to take a deal commiserate with his performance, the Bills shouldn't break the bank for him. 

But Oliver has been fantastic this year!  His stats may not reflect it... but he's been an absolute beast!

In reference to the bolded, the Bills themselves haven't really made McKenzie into a featured player. He essentially touches the ball on offense every 3rd game or so. I don't understand why the jet sweep can't be incorporated more, or why a bubble screen can't be thrown to him. It's said that there are too many mouths to feed, but a couple of throws a game and a carry doesn't seem too much to ask. 

I agree and seeing those jet sweeps reintegrated against the Jets was a breath of fresh air.

Stevenson is a long shot despite the two big plays in preseason. 

Agree

I think the need at WR from last season is still there, and the answers are probably not on the roster already. I think the Bills would really benefit from a strategy to land another top flight talent there, at the expense of #2 CB, or another DT, or a better running back. 

Right now I'm honestly happy with Diggs as our #1 and Davis as our #2.  I actually think that tandem would be one of the 5 best 1-2 punches in the NFL as far as WRs go.  You don't draft slot WRs in the 1st.  But I could see us drafting one in the first 3 rounds.

15 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Beasley runs precise, crisp routes and is easily in the top 10 of route runners in the entire league.  You can't draft that consistently, and a lot of WRs in the league are lousy route runners.  The Bills probably have one of the best, if not the best route runners in the league in Diggs.

I agree with this

15 minutes ago, dpberr said:

You can't teach route running by the time you're in the NFL.  You have to be dedicated to it and good at it as a college player.  

I disagree with this.  Isaiah McKenzie has notably become a better route runner since joining the Bills.  Davis has improved.  Knox has improved.

I don't see why what you say would be true.  Like anything else, it's a matter of recognizing the need to improve then working hard on the right things.

IMHO both Brown and Beasley improved as route runners after Diggs arrived and Chad Hall took over as WR coach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Nearly every player gets dinged up throughout the season 

it’s a violent sport 

Well gee... that was only a tiny part of what I just said... but you can go ahead and cherry pick that.

It's not just his injuries, it's that combined with his injury risk as a slot WR (higher because of where they catch the ball) and his age, which will be 33 next season.

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Well this is not true.

He might be released to save those $6M in order to sign 4 cheap players just to fit under the cap. In other words, you might release a player because you have to without any ambition to find comparable replacement.

Which is exactly what may happen to Cole if you look at our cap situation.

I didn’t say comprable replacement… I just said you have to use some of that money to sign a replacement for him.

Say you spend $2M on a replacement… you’re really only saving $4M from cutting Beasley and also losing production from that position. 

At that point you need to decide if the $4M being spent elsewhere is such a significant upgrade that it offsets the drop off at Beasley’s position. 

Even if you don’t sign a replacement and you spend the $6M elsewhere… do the replacement(s) offset the downgrade of moving on from Beasley. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Cole is hobbled again this year.  He hasn't been Cole.  He has also dropped a drive stalling pass or two.  Good teams release players a year or two before they lose too much of what they are.  Im not sure if Cole is at that point yet but with the beating he takes and his age I would bet he is close to that point.  I like Beasley and maybe the Bills keep him for another year or two, but I don't see him retiring here.

He's got at least 2 solid years left. As far as the pass he dropped, come on. You know he's one of surest pass catchers in football.  The bottom line is the way Sean and Josh view his value. Do you think if he wasn't crucial they would have kept him after he declined the vaccine?

On 11/17/2021 at 4:46 AM, Virgil said:

I was listening to WGR today and they talked about Beasley’s contract being free to void after this season and thinking McKenzie filling that role.  This got me thinking…..

To me, Beasley had proven to be incomparable when it comes to finding open spaces in the zone and when our offense if clicking, Allen’s best 3rd down option.  On broken plays, he also finds open space and has incredibly reliable hands.  When we brought Sanders in, many of these traits were supposedly the same for him, but I haven’t seen that so far.  Also, I haven’t seen anything from McKenzie to make me think he could fill that role if Beasley left.  

Now, I don’t know how much all of that Covid stuff bothered the front office or his relationships with the team, but he seems to be a staple to this offense and I would love to see him finish his career here.  Diggs, Beasley, and Davis is a solid starting 3 to me.  

However, this is my perception and I’m curious to hear others 

Excellent player. And a doofus and a distraction, and willing to increase the odds of missing time and increase the odds of infecting others on the team due to a personal preference.

Sanders has showed just those same traits. Against tougher defenders deeper in the D. That doesn't downgrade Beasley, but Sanders has been excellent.

I don't think McKenzie has showed the ability to perform as well, but this team features the slot WR. The scheme is built around it in some ways. IMO they can find somebody to give them 80% of what Beasley gets in some combo of McKenzie, Stevenson and someone else. 

Last year the best slot in the league, this year maybe top 5 to 8 and showing signs of aging decline and injury.

We'll see, but IMO there's a decent to good chance he's not here next year.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 11/16/2021 at 3:07 PM, JGMcD2 said:

This!

I don’t think people get this… release Beasley to save ~$6M and then have to find his replacement for less than $6M to make it worthwhile. 

But at some point, maybe even next year,Beasley won't be worth 6 million 

On 11/16/2021 at 3:07 PM, JGMcD2 said:

This!

I don’t think people get this… release Beasley to save ~$6M and then have to find his replacement for less than $6M to make it worthwhile. 

What YOU don't seem to get is it's not about RELEASING Beasley. His contract EXPIRES after this season.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, SectionC3 said:

Sanders might take his spot next year.  More speed in the slot.  

Isn't Sanders on a one year  deal? 

On 11/16/2021 at 4:18 PM, DasNootz said:

Tyreek Hill disagrees with this assessment.   

The savings doesn't come in a vacuum. If we save 6-8 million by letting McKenzie, Davis and Sanders take that role, it frees up $6-8 million to put in the offensive line, which makes every one else on that side of the ball better too.  We have an abundance at WR right now, it's not sustainable to keep everyone.

Won't Sanders  be a free agent ?

Beasley might be in the mold of Wes Welker & Julian Edelman, but he seems thinner and as a result the hits seem to really take their toll.

On a team friendly deal Beasley offers great depth at the slot. Beasley should be retained until he can no longer get separation. I see his window being age 35-36 barring catastrophic injury. All things considered he’s due for a 3-year deal at $4-6 million per season. 

7 hours ago, QCity said:

None of those WRs played well into their mid to late 30s. Cobb is 31 years old right now. Edleman's number's took a nosedive when he hit 33. Welker put up crazy numbers at 32 that Beasley has never came close too, and was not re-signed by NE. If anything, the examples that you provided show that slot receivers pretty much reach their shelf life in their early 30s.

You left out Amendola and Stokley, 2 comparable WRs who played until their late 30s putting up solid production the whole way.

A nose dive? Edleman was injured his final year and only played in 6 games. Prior to that (his 2nd to last season) he had a career year w/ 1100 yards and a Super Bowl MVP to go with it. There's no reason to think he couldn't of had a few more years production. He quit while he was ahead like most smart NFL players do. Put him on Tampa w/ Tom now and I don't think he loses a beat.

My point about Cobb was he's still going strong at his age. I watch a lot of Packers game because my brothers a fan and the guy is just as shifty & nimble as he was 8 years ago. Not the best example, but his book hasn't been written yet as he's not retired.

Welker also had the #1 and #2 greatest QBs of all time throwing to him so course he's had better seasons than Cole. As much as we love to pump up Josh Allen, he's no Peyton or Brady.

Look at how many of these guys have been on championship teams. It just goes to show how important a good slot receiver is. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

Beez is great 6-11 yds. better complimentary player than the others. I wonder how much Josh plays into front office to form opinions. 

*now if only he could hear us yelling beeeeez and not boooo ?! ;)

I would retain him as #3 / slot for avg or slightly above avg cost. He’s single handed won a few games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.