Beasley’s future

Virgil

I was listening to WGR today and they talked about Beasley’s contract being free to void after this season and thinking McKenzie filling that role.  This got me thinking…..

To me, Beasley had proven to be incomparable when it comes to finding open spaces in the zone and when our offense if clicking, Allen’s best 3rd down option.  On broken plays, he also finds open space and has incredibly reliable hands.  When we brought Sanders in, many of these traits were supposedly the same for him, but I haven’t seen that so far.  Also, I haven’t seen anything from McKenzie to make me think he could fill that role if Beasley left.  

Now, I don’t know how much all of that Covid stuff bothered the front office or his relationships with the team, but he seems to be a staple to this offense and I would love to see him finish his career here.  Diggs, Beasley, and Davis is a solid starting 3 to me.  

However, this is my perception and I’m curious to hear others 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

I think Beasley has been a tremendous asset for the Bills.   i would like to see him retire as a Bill but this might be the year to do it.  He will be 33 next year and the hits are starting to take a toll, he seems to be frequently banged up and he does take some brutal shots in the slot.  To he credit, sans the Jax game, he has been money holding on the ball.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I was listening to WGR today and they talked about Beasley’s contract being free to void after this season and thinking McKenzie filling that role.  This got me thinking…..

To me, Beasley had proven to be incomparable when it comes to finding open spaces in the zone and when our offense if clicking, Allen’s best 3rd down option.  On broken plays, he also finds open space and has incredibly reliable hands.  When we brought Sanders in, many of these traits were supposedly the same for him, but I haven’t seen that so far.  Also, I haven’t seen anything from McKenzie to make me think he could fill that role if Beasley left.  

Now, I don’t know how much all of that Covid stuff bothered the front office or his relationships with the team, but he seems to be a staple to this offense and I would love to see him finish his career here.  Diggs, Beasley, and Davis is a solid starting 3 to me.  

Since McK is a free agent too, also possibly we find someone new.

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

pn this you may be mistaken Virgil 

first I’d say keep it to football 

To the point 

Could you play with banged up ribs where 200 pounds is pounding on you?

2 weeks ago it was Diggs #’s were down 

and BAM he’s back. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I’ll trust the FO on this one. From my amateur viewpoint, it seems like Beasley isn’t getting any younger. He’s never won with size, but has won with quickness (not speed) and knowing how to find the holes in the zone. 

He’s about at the age where the quickness is fading or about to fade. The savvyness to find open spots in zones should only get better with experience, but will it be enough to offset the fading physical abilities? I think probably not. Especially if other teams play man to man instead of zone. I think Beasley is probably Good at best against man coverage right now, but likely to only get worse. If he’s an asset against zone but a liability against man, that still could be a liability overall. 

If the Bills move on, I’m not sure that the replacement is currently on the roster. But I don’t think they’d move on unless either:

A. Beasley is cooked and they know it, even if no one else does yet (ex: John Brown)

B. They have a plan in place to replace him. Note that the plan still might fail, but I’m confident that there would at least BE a plan.)

• Like (+1) 1

I don't want to speculate about what happens in the post season.

When Beasley is targeted often, he is an incredibly reliable chain mover who keeps performing on difficult third down plays.

I think he is extremely valuable to us if we are to be successful this post season.

More so than Knox, who is still growing, Beasley is an incredible positive, impactful component to this offense.

Worry about the rest of the stuff in Feb.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Virg. I think it’s a mistake to leave him early.  I was hoping he could wrap up his contract.  We’ll see.

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You make the call at the end of the season so let’s see how he goes down the stretch…

But what he brings to this team is going to be hard to replace with the dollars they save by releasing him…

This!

I don’t think people get this… release Beasley to save ~$6M and then have to find his replacement for less than $6M to make it worthwhile. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.