(Rumor) Ravens Release Le'Veon Bell

Blainorama5

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Moss is still young so there is still room to improve but as of right now I don’t see a significant upgrade from Bell to Moss. I feel like Moss is slightly better than Bell. Moss hasn’t really shown that much, he is a career backup up RB that is average at Catching, Blocking and Running.

I agree - Moss is at best average - more likely even slightly below average.

The issue is that for over the last 2 years Bell is not even sniffing below average.  His YPC across 3 teams is below 3.0 and he is no longer a threat out of the backfield - even when on KC where they threw a bunch to RBs.

Bell wouldn’t even be a lateral move with Moss - he would be a large step backwards based upon what each player has done the last 2 years. 

If the Jets got better without him as the worst team in the NFL and 2 contenders that signed him for nothing both moved on - I think his time as even a back-up is done.  He is PS level at best at this point and you are better off trying a UDFA on the street because they have been better.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Guy just fell of a cliff talent wise. He was so good in Pitt. 

he benefited immensely from the Steelers OL at that time.  He would wait for a hole, then hit it and use his speed and elusiveness to avoid LBs and the secondary.  Guy needs a huge hole to run through.  

What a complete imbecile Bell is. He was on top of the world in Pittsburgh, probably the best RB in the league. Decides to sit out a complete season in his prime & passes up the $8.6M he would've made that year, because he wants to be the highest paid. Ends up on the Jets a year later & stinks it up royally. Gets released a year later & signs with KC to try and chase a Super bowl as a backup instead of going somewhere with the chance to start. KC makes the super bowl, but Bell doesn't even see the field. Now likely out of the league just 3 seasons after the holdout.

41 minutes ago, 947 said:

What a complete imbecile Bell is. He was on top of the world in Pittsburgh, probably the best RB in the league. Decides to sit out a complete season in his prime & passes up the $8.6M he would've made that year, because he wants to be the highest paid. 

Did he lose money on the deal though?    The numbers indicated he was in decline in Pittsburgh........high amount of touches but low yards per carry..........if he plays out that one year deal and falls another notch down into the 3-3.8 yards per carry type range he gets that $8.6M but probably never gets paid the big up-front money by the Jets and starts his journeyman tour immediately.

Lotta' people on here wanted the Bills to pay him.   @YoloinOhio was one of em'!

NEVER pay top dollar for a RB in UFA.

Le’Veon overplayed his hand so badly.  It does make you wonder what happened.  He went from one of the best running backs in the NFL and a dual threat to an average then below-average RB.  

It makes you wonder:

- Was he a product of Pittsburgh’s offense?

- Did the year off from football negatively impact his ability?

- Did he just get lazy and complacent after signing a big deal with NYJ?

- Did Adam Gase kill his career?

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did he lose money on the deal though?    The numbers indicated he was in decline in Pittsburgh........high amount of touches but low yards per carry..........if he plays out that one year deal and falls another notch down into the 3-3.8 yards per carry type range he gets that $8.6M but probably never gets paid the big up-front money by the Jets and starts his journeyman tour immediately.

Lotta' people on here wanted the Bills to pay him.   @YoloinOhio was one of em'!

NEVER pay top dollar for a RB in UFA.

I think it really depends.  The offer given and used by the Sporting news citing sources was that while on the franchise tag - Bell was offered 5 years - 70 million.  That contract even with limited upfront cash and guarantees would of paid him more than sitting out the year and the Money the Jets paid him.  Their analysis showed even with the Jets overpay - it most likely cost him money.

Bell made 0 and then 28 million for the 1.5 years with the Jets - so in essence 9 -10 million per.  The Steelers would of had to pay ~42 million in those same 3 years - 14 million per.

Plus Pittsburgh isn’t big on cutting players mid season if it will mean any kind of salary cap hit - So I doubt they cut him mid season like the rebuilding Jets did.  They most likely look to trade him after the 3rd season to a team like the Jets - so he might have gotten year 4 at 14+ million and maybe the Jets even renegotiate with more upfront for an additional year or 2.

Did it financially cost him big - probably not, but it killed his career faster than staying in Pittsburgh would have - he could of had 1 more year when he sat out of slight decline and probably a 2nd year with Pittsburgh that would of been better than the Jets year 1 - so maybe it plays out with a longer arc.

I do totally agree - FA RBs should not get top dollar- it is a recipe for disaster.

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Le'Veon's strength in Pittsburgh was tap dancing beyond the line, waiting for the holes to open. He sucked in NY because the holes never opened. 

He sucked in NY because he sat out a year, his conditioning and skills declined, he reeks of bad attitude, and in all probability, it was the OL in Pittsburgh that made him look good, not the other way around.  He is an emergency back up at this point in his career, a role the Ravens used him in but no longer need him for apparently.

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

For the year on a team with a 4.9 YPC he is averaging 2.7 YPC - he is being outrushed by an UDFA in Baltimore - Ty’Son Williams by over 100 yards.  

Bell has 1 catch for -1 yard on the season and he is known as a terrible blocker and blitz pick-up.

He is not on par with Moss or Singletary - on a better rushing team he is significantly worse.

I was not suggesting you thought he might sign here - just that he has value - he has absolutely no value in the NFL.  

Even his 11 for 48 against Minnesota was below their average.  Last week against Miami he had 3 carries for 1 whole yard.  

I just do not see him as on par with any back in the league.  He is Reggie Bush in Buffalo at the end - one of the worst backs in the NFL right now.

He has 31 carries on the season.  That's a pretty small sample size, but whatever.  I really don't care that much about LeVeon to drag this debate out. 

Edited by Chicken Boo

53 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think it really depends.  The offer given and used by the Sporting news citing sources was that while on the franchise tag - Bell was offered 5 years - 70 million.  That contract even with limited upfront cash and guarantees would of paid him more than sitting out the year and the Money the Jets paid him.  Their analysis showed even with the Jets overpay - it most likely cost him money.

Bell made 0 and then 28 million for the 1.5 years with the Jets - so in essence 9 -10 million per.  The Steelers would of had to pay ~42 million in those same 3 years - 14 million per.

Plus Pittsburgh isn’t big on cutting players mid season if it will mean any kind of salary cap hit - So I doubt they cut him mid season like the rebuilding Jets did.  They most likely look to trade him after the 3rd season to a team like the Jets - so he might have gotten year 4 at 14+ million and maybe the Jets even renegotiate with more upfront for an additional year or 2.

Did it financially cost him big - probably not, but it killed his career faster than staying in Pittsburgh would have - he could of had 1 more year when he sat out of slight decline and probably a 2nd year with Pittsburgh that would of been better than the Jets year 1 - so maybe it plays out with a longer arc.

I do totally agree - FA RBs should not get top dollar- it is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah I thought he was already circling the drain in 2017 when the Steelers basically used him up and his overall yards per touch became an anemic 4.8............so I didn't really follow his money business as I would have someone I'd have thought the Bills should possibly pursue.

One of my favorites was "but he's also like a great wide receiver in the passing game" when he was putting up sub 8 yards per catch.   GTFOH :lol::doh:

Runnin' back obsessed folks are a crazy lot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.