Pro Bowl Voting is Open

BuffaloBill

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Historically they are good predictor of votes from players. 

But is that really true? Players (coaches) in the league simply scan the stats like fans? What if a bunch of DBs have around the same amount?

How do they measure OLine play? 

I get the feeling that coaches and players are a bit more sophisticated than stat searching. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Uh... yes. Are you just figuring this out now?

So, they simply select the DBs and LBs with the most interceptions, and that's it? That's an amazing assertion and completely untrue.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

But is that really true? Players (coaches) in the league simply scan the stats like fans? What if a bunch of DBs have around the same amount?

How do they measure OLine play? 

I get the feeling that coaches and players are a bit more sophisticated than stat searching. 

So, they simply select the DBs and LBs with the most interceptions, and that's it? That's an amazing assertion and completely untrue.  

OL play is different of course but players don’t play each team every year. It’s anecdotal but over the years I’ve seen many players who say they do just what you described. Fans tend to vote for their favorites where players look for who is having the best season especially in other divisions or the opposite conference. 

7 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

What "they" are you talking about? Fans vote for their favorite players, the players they have heard of, and the players who put up big stats. For defensive backs, that means the players with a lot of interceptions get more votes than those who don't.

A couple years ago White led the league in interceptions. That was his first pro bowl and put him on the map for everyday NFL fans. Then they voted him in the next year because they had heard of him and knew he was a good player.

For linebackers it has more to do with tackles and other things, not just interceptions.

The point is accumulating stats is what gets you the votes. What is surprising about that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

So why Star? Why Morse? Why Edmunds and Milano? White is a great player, but to make the pro bowl you need INT's. He only has one, so that's not going to happen.

Pro Bowl locks:

- Allen

- Poyer

- Diggs

Could make it:

- Bass

- Hyde

- Knox (if he picks up where he left off)

White, Wallace, and T. Johnson are having great years and Johnson probably deserves it, but I don't think any of them will make it unless they go on an INT run.

I don’t know that Diggs is a lock due to some sturdy competition.  If Poyer doesn’t make it there should be an investigation.

7 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I always feel a bit conflicted.  Of course I want my players to receive accolades and recognition, but I can't help but believe that pro bowls nods mean that agents will demand more $$ and thus make these players a lot harder to re-sign.  If I'm overreacting please set me straight

Let Beane and Pegula worry about the money. Success brings accolades.  It's way better than the alternative.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

What "they" are you talking about? Fans vote for their favorite players, the players they have heard of, and the players who put up big stats. For defensive backs, that means the players with a lot of interceptions get more votes than those who don't.

A couple years ago White led the league in interceptions. That was his first pro bowl and put him on the map for everyday NFL fans. Then they voted him in the next year because they had heard of him and knew he was a good player.

For linebackers it has more to do with tackles and other things, not just interceptions.

The point is accumulating stats is what gets you the votes. What is surprising about that?

I’m pretty sure you’re just a troll. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I don’t know that Diggs is a lock due to some sturdy competition.  If Poyer doesn’t make it there should be an investigation.

Poyer has been criminally underrated for a few seasons now. It doesn’t shock me that he’s never on any lists, winning any awards,

or getting any pro bowl or all pro nods 

I hate it, it makes me throw things. But it’s not surprising. 

The trouble with Bass making it is each conference only selects one kicker and Justin Tucker is likely getting the nod for the AFC. His 66yd field goal and name recognition get him in unless he falls into a slump the second half of the season. 

I put Diggs, White and Edmunds in that same conversation as Tucker. Name recognition and all 3 are having good seasons. I think they’ll make it again. 

Allen is the only “lock” in my opinion. 
Poyer should be a lock but we’ve heard that one before. 
Hyde has a very strong case as well.

Knox is going to have to show out again a few more times. Voters have short memories and they ain’t voting him in for a handful of nice games to start the season. 

Same for Milano. 

That leaves out Taron Johnson who, in my opinion, warrants strong consideration but I don’t think NCB’s get voted in very often without huge INT numbers.

23 hours ago, JY422 said:

The trouble with Bass making it is each conference only selects one kicker and Justin Tucker is likely getting the nod for the AFC. His 66yd field goal and name recognition get him in unless he falls into a slump the second half of the season. 

I put Diggs, White and Edmunds in that same conversation as Tucker. Name recognition and all 3 are having good seasons. I think they’ll make it again. 

Allen is the only “lock” in my opinion. 
Poyer should be a lock but we’ve heard that one before. 
Hyde has a very strong case as well.

Knox is going to have to show out again a few more times. Voters have short memories and they ain’t voting him in for a handful of nice games to start the season. 

Same for Milano. 

That leaves out Taron Johnson who, in my opinion, warrants strong consideration but I don’t think NCB’s get voted in very often without huge INT numbers.

Taron Johnson does not get in … no way do they take two CB’s off the  same team - assumes White is a lock.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.